May 26, 2018, 02:47:22 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D or 70D dilemma - please help  (Read 44371 times)

MartynV

• PowerShot G1 X II
Canon 6D or 70D dilemma - please help
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
Hi,

I have a dilemma as to which Canon camera to purchase and would be grateful for any advice.

I currently have a 650D which I use for holidays, indoor product photography, close ups/macros, landscapes, architectural (trips to stately homes, etc), portraits (family) and occasionally air shows. I sometimes shoot video but haven't been impressed with the results so far. I own a 35mm f/2 IS USM and 40mm STM and plan to get either a 100mm f/2.8L Macro or 24-70 f/4L if Canon can fix the focus shifting issue.

I have read many posts on this site and others but I am in a quandary - do I get the 6D which seems to be a better fit as far as still photography or the newer 70D which may offer more accurate focusing (19 cross type v. 1) and the articulated screen which I have often used on my 650D.

I sometimes feel frustrated that my 650D's frame buffer runs out too quickly (such as photographing the Red Arrows at Airbourne) and it lacks dynamic range for landscapes leaving the sky blue and the ground seemingly dark, but it is not clear if the 70D's marginal improvement in dynamic range reported by DxO will make a noticeable difference in actual use. I also find the 650D's viewfinder (previously owned a 40D) just too small for accurate manual focusing.

Thanks in advance.

Martyn

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 6D or 70D dilemma - please help
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
Re: Canon 6D or 70D dilemma - please help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
You get a better buffer & AF from the 70D than the 6D but if your willing to fidget with the camera more... The 6D makes more sense. The DR will be a tiny bit better and if that's your primary worry, nikon is better in that aspect.

MartynV

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
Hi,

Thanks, I'm surprised the 6D's frame buffer can be a problem. Changing to Nikon is an option but I can only afford the D600 and I've read that it suffers from unwanted oil and dust problems.

Can the 6D's AI Servo mode cope with aircraft?

Thanks,

Martyn

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
The 6D seems to be a really good fit for your requirements.  The 6D has excellent image quality and low-light capability, but its autofocus is somewhat limited compared with higher end FF cameras, the 7D and new 70D.  The dual pixal AF improvements in the 70D will help focusing for video and for photographers who focus using Live View rather than the viewfinder AF system, but if you shoot mostly stills using the viewfinder, the new AF system won't be an improvement.

For me and the type of shooting I do (family, travel, landscapes), the advantages of full frame (6D) far outweigh the live view AF improvements in the 70D, which would only help me for shooting video. 

Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG?  While shooting in RAW will not improve dynamic range, it will give you much more flexibility in post processing, so you can recover shadows and highlights much, much better than with trying to PP jpeg files.

I used my 6D with 70-200 2.8 II lens at a recent air show and was pleased with the results.  The buffer filled occasionally and I had to wait, but only a few times during the day and I don't feel I missed many shots.  I've used my 7D in the past a airshows and its AF does perform better.  But, overall I had more really good shots using the 6D.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:23:37 PM by bholliman »
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
I would say neither. 6D likely won't meet your speed, reach, nor autofocus needs.  70D might not meet your image quality needs. 

You might want to wait and see what the 7D MKII brings - apparently being released in next 3-6 months and could bring an improved 24mp APS-C sensor.

If the rumors are correct, it might be the perfect blend of quality and features you are looking for.

Especially with the burst/frame buffer, it is likely the 7D MKII will go unmatched in its price range.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:30:17 PM by Ruined »

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
the 7D MKII will go unmatched in its price range.

Any ideas what the 7D2 price range will be?  Specifications and capabilities are still just a matter of speculation.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LII
M5, EF-M lenses: 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
the 7D MKII will go unmatched in its price range.

Any ideas what the 7D2 price range will be?  Specifications and capabilities are still just a matter of speculation.

$1999 is what I have heard.  The original 7D was impressive in it burst and I heard the 7D MKII will be even more impressive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »

MartynV

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
Hi,

The 7DII sounds a good idea but Canon would need to achieve a step change in noise performance over the 60D/70D. While the 70D is attractive, the sensor just doesn't seem to offer a major improvement over the 650D for still photography.

Martyn

I would say neither. 6D likely won't meet your speed, reach, nor autofocus needs.  70D might not meet your image quality needs. 

You might want to wait and see what the 7D MKII brings - apparently being released in next 3-6 months and could bring an improved 24mp APS-C sensor.

If the rumors are correct, it might be the perfect blend of quality and features you are looking for.

Especially with the burst/frame buffer, it is likely the 7D MKII will go unmatched in its price range.

MartynV

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
Thanks, I mainly shoot jpeg and I'm hoping the Digic 5+ of either the 6D or 70D would help with CA correction. If so, another 24-105 would be worthwhile. I used to own a 24-105 but it wasn't a good match on my old 40D.

It's interesting that the 6D can cope with air shows. I would have thought a 70-200 f/2.8 wouldn't provide enough reach if the UK's obsession with health and safety is anything to go by.

My concern with the 6D is the lack of an articulating rear screen. This has sometimes been genuinely useful, such as at a dog agility display when I was able to hold a 70-200 f/4 IS above my head (like a periscope) and use the articulated screen to focus.

Martyn

The 6D seems to be a really good fit for your requirements.  The 6D has excellent image quality and low-light capability, but its autofocus is somewhat limited compared with higher end FF cameras, the 7D and new 70D.  The dual pixal AF improvements in the 70D will help focusing for video and for photographers who focus using Live View rather than the viewfinder AF system, but if you shoot mostly stills using the viewfinder, the new AF system won't be an improvement.

For me and the type of shooting I do (family, travel, landscapes), the advantages of full frame (6D) far outweigh the live view AF improvements in the 70D, which would only help me for shooting video. 

Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG?  While shooting in RAW will not improve dynamic range, it will give you much more flexibility in post processing, so you can recover shadows and highlights much, much better than with trying to PP jpeg files.

I used my 6D with 70-200 2.8 II lens at a recent air show and was pleased with the results.  The buffer filled occasionally and I had to wait, but only a few times during the day and I don't feel I missed many shots.  I've used my 7D in the past a airshows and its AF does perform better.  But, overall I had more really good shots using the 6D.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M5
  • 6D
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
Have a look at Digital Revs review of the 70D on You Tube... Not overly glowing.

For the kind of shooting you are doing with only the occasional air show, I think the 6D would be better for you.

If you are reasonably adept at using a DSLR then the 6D focussing should not be that big of a problem.

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »
Have a look at Digital Revs review of the 70D on You Tube... Not overly glowing.

For the kind of shooting you are doing with only the occasional air show, I think the 6D would be better for you.

If you are reasonably adept at using a DSLR then the 6D focussing should not be that big of a problem.

I read the OP wants to photograph planes that are far away and also with high burst speed.  The 6D's more primitive autofocus and buffer are not ideal for this as it is smaller than the 7D's, plus since it is full frame you get less reach on telephotos.

Out of the currently available cameras the 7D appears the best match as it can do the other items requested as well, but it is probably better to wait and see what Canon delivers in the 7D MKII as the current 7D's sensor is inferior to the 70D's due to the age of the current 7D.  I have read an improved 24MP sensor is a possibility for 7D MKII, but will not know for sure until it is announced.  Even if the 7D MKII's sensor only matches the 70D, I believe the distance/focusing/versatility may be better for the OP than the 6D which is more ideal for indoor work, or outdoor photos requiring less reach.

Still, of currently available cameras the 7D is a better choice than the 6D when it comes to fast motion far away objects where it will deliver higher detail and better burst.  6D is better for low light, higher detail, less noise on objects in close to moderate range. But with 7D MKII model released very soon, I think waiting for MKII to see what it delivers is the smartest move.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:16:16 PM by Ruined »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M5
  • 6D
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »

I read the OP wants to photograph planes that are far away and also with high burst speed.  The 6D's more primitive autofocus and buffer are not ideal for this as it is smaller than the 7D's, plus since it is full frame you get less reach on telephotos.

Out of the currently available cameras the 7D appears the best match as it can do the other items requested as well, but it is probably better to wait and see what Canon delivers in the 7D MKII as the current 7D's sensor is inferior to the 70D's due to the age of the current 7D.  I have read an improved 24MP sensor is a possibility for 7D MKII, but will not know for sure until it is announced.  Even if the 7D MKII's sensor only matches the 70D, I believe the distance/focusing/versatility may be better for the OP.

Still, of currently available cameras the 7D is a better choice than the 6D when it comes to fast motion far away objects where it will deliver higher detail and better burst.  6D is better for low light, higher detail, less noise on objects in close to moderate range.

I read the OP too, are you familiar with the word occassional ?

For the majority of the photography he does, the 6D would be better than the 70D and way better than the 7D ( I had one of those one of the worse cameras for handling noise you can get)

I am ssuming the OP is after better picture quality.

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
I read the OP too, are you familiar with the word occassional ?

Yes, although it is still something that the OP desires, and the other functions can be served by a crop.

For the majority of the photography he does, the 6D would be better than the 70D and way better than the 7D ( I had one of those one of the worse cameras for handling noise you can get)

The 7D's sensor is outdated as stated above, which is why the replacement model is coming soon. But it still has great burst rate and 7D MKII will likely be even better.  Note for in addition to reach, video on 7D MKII will likely work better based on the results of the 70D, and another element the OP mentioned as being a problem w/ current body... Although that being said the video on even a 650D is going to have better results than the 6D.  So if the OP was unhappy with video on the 650D, its going to get even worse with a 6D.

I am ssuming the OP is after better picture quality.

We don't know how the 7D MKII will look yet, so it might be worth the wait to see given it is likely 3-6 months at most.  There are rumors it may use either the 70D sensor or a new 24MP sensor.

And of course, APS and APS-C both have different image quality benefits.  APS has better detail for closer objects, APS-C has better detail for further away objects.  APS has less noise in low light.  APS-C has more affordable cameras designed for video.  Some APS-C have autofocus comparable to much more expensive APS cameras.

OP, if you plan to stick with APS-C I might suggest the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 instead of the L lens you selected.  It may give you a better range on the wide end; then compliment that with a higher end L telephoto like the 70-200mm f4 IS or f2.8 IS.  On the other hand if you are going APS the lens you mentioned is great.

Still, the 35mm f/2 IS USM is an excellent lens so if you are unhappy with its results and are certain you are getting the most out of the camera (proper lighting, settings, etc) you may want to consider APS instead and just sacrifice the reach & video capabilities. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:29:40 PM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »

MartynV

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
I only go to one or two airshows per year so would a 6D cope with slow jets?

Out of the currently available cameras the 7D appears the best match as it can do the other items requested as well, but it is probably better to wait and see what Canon delivers in the 7D MKII as the current 7D's sensor is inferior to the 70D's due to the age of the current 7D.  I have read an improved 24MP sensor is a possibility for 7D MKII, but will not know for sure until it is announced.  Even if the 7D MKII's sensor only matches the 70D, I believe the distance/focusing/versatility may be better for the OP than the 6D which is more ideal for indoor work, or outdoor photos requiring less reach.

Still, of currently available cameras the 7D is a better choice than the 6D when it comes to fast motion far away objects where it will deliver higher detail and better burst.  6D is better for low light, higher detail, less noise on objects in close to moderate range. But with 7D MKII model released very soon, I think waiting for MKII to see what it delivers is the smartest move.

Robboesan

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
What about neither and invest in some good glass instead??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »