December 22, 2014, 08:51:05 PM

Author Topic: I jumped ship...  (Read 12465 times)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: I jumped ship...
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
So after jumping ship for the weekend and shoot nikon only with a friends equipment, this is what I have to say about nikon.

So it is not so much that you jumped ship.  Just that now we all know you go both ways.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
So after jumping ship for the weekend and shoot nikon only with a friends equipment, this is what I have to say about nikon.

So it is not so much that you jumped ship.  Just that now we all know you go both ways.   ;D

What does it mean if I shot Sony also? :D

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
1. The DR is better, but not as much as I expected.
if your workflow didn't change, you wouldn't notice much difference
2. I couldn't stand the ergos, it drove me nuts with the ISO button not being as fast to change as on canon.
ergos are individual taste, being used to Canon after so many years I still have a slight pref for how they do some things but Nikon's control placement is more consistent from model to model than Canon's regular randomizing of button positions

ISO's actually much faster to adj on d800, if you'd have assigned it to a control wheel
3. The AF with primes wasnt as good as my mk3s. Yes, the left AF point on the d800 was slooooow.
depends on the lens, Nik's ultrasonic motors do seem to be slower
my d800s have no left AF weakness

4. Flash exposure was very nice, but I missed my RT. :/
agreed
5. Overall, it wasnt too bad but I prefer my canon.
good on you for at least giving it a try
If you do so again, you might get more out of the experience.
Maybe try it in more challenging conditions.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
To me this expression means: I sold all my vendor X cameras and lenses and bough the equivalent vendor Y cameras and lenses.
It seems that you had left your equipment intact while you...  were transferred temporarily via a boat from one ship to other and then back to the original one.  ;D

P.S Rumors that you harried back much earlier due to a possible 135mm 1.8L IS announcement are totally inaccurate...  ;D  ;D  ;D

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
2. I couldn't stand the ergos, it drove me nuts with the ISO button not being as fast to change as on canon.
ergos are individual taste, being used to Canon after so many years I still have a slight pref for how they do some things but Nikon's control placement is more consistent from model to model than Canon's regular randomizing of button positions

ISO's actually much faster to adj on d800, if you'd have assigned it to a control wheel
3. The AF with primes wasnt as good as my mk3s. Yes, the left AF point on the d800 was slooooow.

agreed

I'll see how the d900 vs 5D4 goes. This generation of systems still weighs heavily in favor for Canon in my uses. As for ship jumping, my buddy quite liked shooting with my canon equipment. He's thinking about jumping ship to canon. :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:26:04 PM by RLPhoto »

JPL_1020

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

agreed

I'll see how the d900 vs 5D4 goes. This generation of systems still weighs heavily in favor for Canon in my uses. As for ship jumping, my buddy quite liked shooting with my canon equipment. He's thinking about jumping ship to canon. :P

Nice comeback on your last statement there! lol!  ;D

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
So, those of you who have used both systems do you guys feel that Nikon cameras are designed and built keeping a smaller hand size as the target compared to comparable Canon cameras? I used the Nikon cameras of two of my friends (one D80 and the other was probably D90 or D7000) and found the hand grip feeling smaller/thinner than my 40D and 50D....... any opinion?
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 06:44:35 PM »
So, those of you who have used both systems do you guys feel that Nikon cameras are designed and built keeping a smaller hand size as the target compared to comparable Canon cameras? I used the Nikon cameras of two of my friends (one D80 and the other was probably D90 or D7000) and found the hand grip feeling smaller/thinner than my 40D and 50D....... any opinion?
Every time I played with Nikon D3000, D5000, D90 friends, seemed to me that did not fit well in the hand. Canon T2i seemed better ergonomics, although being small. For some mysterious reason, in my city, women prefer Nikon.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
Whaaa....
What is truth?

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »

I've never picked up a Canon body that didn't feel OK to hold & use.
OTOH, I positively HATE the feel of Nikon's D7000 series and the D600 - I find them so unpleasant I skipped buying the economical D600 and grabbed another D800 instead.  Those slightly smaller/thinner grips give my hand a cramp in very short time where I can carry a d800 or smaller D5100 around for hours w-o a strap quite easily, even with large glass attached.

D800 is a larger body, my hands are small to mid-sized and the D800 is a very comfortable camera for me to use.
Also, the D5000 series cameras are very comfortable for me despite the small Rebel-ish size.  The proportioning and overall balance are more pleasant than the d7000/600 IMO.  All highly subjective, of course.

D90 is not bad for me but don't like it as much as d800's fit.

I'm still waiting to see if there's a high end cropper coming (D400 ?) to replace the aged D300/s but concerned it might feel too much like the 7000 series.  That will also be competing against a possible 7D Mk II for my uses.
The 7D was a really nice camera to use in all respects except, for me, it's IQ was inadequate for some of the shots I wanted it for.  I'm hoping 7D2 will continue the excellence and provide improved noise levels; even the 70D would be adequate but I won't be needing it until next summer so can wait.

More on ergos, I often shoot with a Pentax K52s, great little camera, feels lovely in my hand.
K-30 has that annoyingly deeper, thinner grip, not too unlike D7x00.  But not quite so bad that I didn't buy the K30... for $450 for a NIB camera with its capabilities I could put up with a bit of discomfort for the little time I'll be carrying it. :)

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
I got a Fuji X-E1 on Friday and played with it over the weekend. I am really impressed. This is going to be my new travel camera for sure!
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
I got a Fuji X-E1 on Friday and played with it over the weekend. I am really impressed. This is going to be my new travel camera for sure!

That's one heck of a camera (actually its IQ is a lot better than some DSLRs) except it's not Canon.  I don't want to invest lenses on another system.  Anyway, enjoy shooting.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »

one of those, or possibly the non-optical VF cheaper model, is on my wish list yet too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »

I couldn't help but LoL at some of the comments. CR has a sense of humor.

I still own both Nikon and Canon and I have more experience with Nikon than Canon system , but I  must say Nikon is overrated.

1 DR , I agree there is difference but not that much.
2 agree, even a long time Nikon shooter , I dislike the body shape and grip, also you mentioned ISO button.
3 well, Nikon is always slow in terms of AF speed , especially with outer AF points. And, Nikon primes such as AF-S85mmf1.4G(my favorite Nikon lens) uses slower SWM , the f1.8 series are not that slow but still a bit slower than the f2.8 zooms and super tele primes, with Ring type SWM motor.
4 flash CLS was one area Nikon was clearly a years a head of Canon. but after introduction of 600EX RT, that also has changed.
For me , it is not that important since I always use my Yonguno.

I am trying to decide which system to keep but I think I will go with the Canon for ML and better video.
I think real life practicality and reliability of camera system is underrated or even overlooked , but most obsessed with silly DXO numbers that are even not very accurate numbers.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »
I did recently jump on the tamron boat with the so-far superb 24-70 VC. Which it seems like I've been holding out forever on a 24-70 zoom but at 800$ on Craigslist. Why not?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:35:48 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »