August 28, 2014, 03:19:11 AM

Author Topic: Canon 70D - DEAD SENSOR PIXELS! Im not happy :(  (Read 6582 times)

EddieG

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 70D - DEAD SENSOR PIXELS! Im not happy :(
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
Thats clearly a column error, yes Canon should be able to map it, however I would be demanding a replacement.
Its technically a DOA, in other words not up to manufactures specification out of the box.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
I tried the pixel remapping suggested above and it fixed my red stuck pixel issue, looking at a few shots and a 3 minute movie. Thanks for that info.

In video, the red pixels are easier to identify by videotaping a dark scene (no black), and moving or panning the camera. Any stuck pixels will be obvious as they pass across the scene (the pixels don't move).

Did the remapping fix the red pixels in video? I am really curious because I have read that it doesn't work for video. I haven't run into the problem myself, but if I do I'm hoping this is a realistic fix.

atodzia

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
The remapping looks like it did fix it for video but I need to view it on my larger TV screen to be sure. On my 27" monitor (NEC PA271W), full screen, everything looks fine to me.

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Im returning the camera, luckily I was able to pick up the other one I bought for my Dad. The testing moves forward.

Hey...anything specific you guys want to see?

M

atodzia

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
The red stuck pixel is back. I guess manual sensor cleaning will not get rid of it. Luckily, I got this camera at Amazon so I can order another and send this back when they get it back in stock or wait until the local BestBuy gets it in stock so it's easy to return if I get another one like this. I have a feeling it may be a common problem that people aren't seeing because of the subject matter or where the bad pixel(s) are located. It's been in a different place on the two cameras I have has.

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
In addition to my dead row of pixels, I also saw a few random dead ones as well. It will be interesting to see if others have the same issue.

atodzia

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
The first cleaning did not fix it. Looking back at the photos in the same spot the pixel was white instead of red. I think it depends on the surrounding color whether it will show up white or red. When it was white the surrounding color is light green. When it is red the surrounding color is very dark green, going towards black. I don't know if it is a dead pixel or stuck, but it is  definitely not a good pixel. I suppose I could just clean it like a dust spot in pictures that I am going to print large, if I can't get a 70D with no bad pixels.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
The red stuck pixel is back. I guess manual sensor cleaning will not get rid of it. Luckily, I got this camera at Amazon so I can order another and send this back when they get it back in stock or wait until the local BestBuy gets it in stock so it's easy to return if I get another one like this. I have a feeling it may be a common problem that people aren't seeing because of the subject matter or where the bad pixel(s) are located. It's been in a different place on the two cameras I have has.

Is it just in video or both video and pics?
I had to return two 5DIII's because of this problem. I had bright red pixel's at low ISO.

My 5DIII (third one) has no stuck pixels. I am really happy with it, but I find it disturbing that I had to go through several cameras to get a good one. I've had quality problems with 6 of the 7 Canon DSLR's that I've had/have :

40D Bad LCD
40D Bad lens mount
60D diopter wheel very loose and will not stay put. Also the rubber grip peels at the edges after about 1 year.
5DII bad electronic board, replaced on warranty
5DIII two bodies with red pixels on the sensors

My current 5DIII is pretty much perfect.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:58:30 PM by Etienne »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »

Just call Amazon customer service and they'll send you out a replacement immediately (assuming it's in stock) whilst your defective one is being returned. Their return policy (and rewards program) is the main reason why I purchase all of my electronics from them.

However, this dead pixel issue has me worried that there might be something wrong with the first batches; mine's shipping in less than a week  :-\
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Every camera will accumulate dead pixels over time.
After about six months my T3 got a bad dead pixel in the middle of the screen, the manual cleaning trick didn't work so I sent it in (under warranty) with a list detailing all the dead pixel locations (and I mean an exhaustive listing with precise locations). It came back producing nearly perfect black images (a few new ones developed after mapping, only minor though).
On my 5D2 there's still about half a dozen dead pixels that won't go away. It's only a problem with long exposures though (about five seconds or longer) so I don't worry about it. My other camera often goes into long exposures for macro stuff so a clean sensor is more critical there.
At this point I consider sending your camera in for mapping a part of regular maintenance, though that's probably only necessary if you like to do long exposures.
-100% RAW-