July 31, 2014, 11:51:57 AM

Author Topic: A New Entry Level Full Frame Camera? [CR1]  (Read 25537 times)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
Re: A New Entry Level Full Frame Camera? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
I agree that many of the ef-s lenses are very good. Often the 1.62x crop offers a really nice reach advantage and with the rise of affordable and optically good ultra wides there is often little to choose between the two crop formats. But full frame does offer better pixel clarity and contrast and then there's the whole depth of field debate. If I want less dof....ff rules, if I want more dof....the 1.62x crop rocks.
Personally, I use both formats and love em both.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »

UncleFester

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
Entry level?  Really?  Do you even use one?  In what ways, apart from autofocus, is the 5d mark ii an entry level dslr?  As for putting a 12mp sensor from the 5d into a new body, do you really think canon would market a camera with iso 3200?  They'd use the sensor from the 5d mark ii and stretch the technology.  Everyone who was going to buy a 5d ii has pretty much bought one.  Some will upgrade to a new higher end body, others will buy a second body on the lower end.  Still others would upgrade from the rebel, 60d, or 7d.  It would be shrewd of canon to puruse this.

Yes Mister, I use 2 5D mark II's as I am a professional wedding photographer. Feature wise the 5D MKII is nothing more then the 5D MK I except for a higher pixelcount and the added video (which is not being used by many photographers - not said videographers who love the 5D MKII).

If the 5D MKII hadn't had the video it would have been a 6 year old camera with just a higher MP sensor.

Compare the 5D MK II ISO performance with a Nikon D3 or D3x and you know that your 5D2 is not that special anymore... 5D MKII for these days is just old technology.  As for the autofocus of the 5D MKII that has always been a big laugh. Just one central AF point which easily causes OOF pictures when you need to recompose (at big apertures) or when you are in low contrast conditions.

This seems like pure BS. Digic II vs. Digic 4, live view, almost twice the pixels with great IQ, sensor cleaning, etc. It's hard to believe you actually use cameras at all.

I love drive-by rumors - instant flame-war. ;)

@Polansky - I hear what you're trying to say but price-wise alone place the 5D and 5DII well above entry-level.

If Canon comes out with another ff and categorizes it as "entry-level", it may very well feature higher tech specs than the current 5D, but will have a plastic body, pop-op flash, flip-out lcd, etc. In hand it will feel much cheaper and perform accordingly.

@Truland- you have some nice photos on your site.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »
7DII with FF just won't happen. It would shut out too many potential upgrade customers with a current 7D and a bag full of EF-S glass.

Paul Wright

I can count 4 EF-S lenses that would make people possibly hesitate at FF and nothing more:
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

I own and use the last 3; they wouldn't stop me from getting a FF camera. The above lenses resale isn't all that bad, if you got them at a reasonably good price to start with.

Whatever the badge is, an entry level FF is DEFINITELY aimed at  the 60D/7D owners and potential buyers.

We also don't know what's going to happen with the next gen of cameras.  I've seen more than a few people on this forum mention that they do not like the articulating screen for robustness reasons, but it'd be hard for a company to explain why an articulating screen isn't added to any 'entry' level camera in almost any camera.

Personally, I like the rumor but won't get my hopes up . . . I wanted a 7D but could not force myself to pony up the cash and not get FF.  I guess we'll see.

Don't forget 3rd party crop lenses like the Tokina 11-16mm. The FF ultrawides are not cheap.

justicend

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 03:43:51 AM »
For sure new entry level FF camera will have no weather sealed, plastic body and variable angle LCD, what else and new kit lens without red ring.

robert55

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 03:49:10 AM »
For the foreseeable future 7D [with mark#] will be the name of Canon's top crop camera. There is a clear place for such a camera. Making it FF would turn it into a sort of 5D]

This newest rumor is in two ways consistent with earlier rumors about the 5D3:
- the price of the 5D3could go up significantly, which leaves more room for a ceaper model [a 60D equivalent with FF]
- the new 5D would get a sensor with fewer pixels than the new 1Ds would get

The unlikely thing with the second part is that Canon would have to make three different sensors for FF. Even if they rework the 5D2 sensor for the cheapest camera that is a lot compared to the use of basically the same sensor in three crop camera's and Sony using the same sensor in its SLT and Nex lines and selling versions to Pentax and Nikon

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »
If its FF entry evel, then i want a pop up flash if there is room above the prism/EVF?
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

LuCoOc

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
If its FF entry evel, then i want a pop up flash if there is room above the prism/EVF?

The D700 is FF and has a pop-up flash, so it's not impossible.
But no Electronic View Finder, please!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:24:45 AM by LuCoOc »
7D - BG
3 Ls - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
electronic viewfinders SUCK!
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

martijn

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »
Interesting thought...but I think this is just a pipedream.

Apart from the extra R&D costs involved (for an 'entry level' product that, as such, would probably sell at lower profit margins), production facilities are still recovering from events earlier this year.
Refresh cycles have been delayed across the board as it is-I doubt whether there would be enough headroom for an extra level in the range.

If they really would want to do something like this, it would be far simpler to lower prices on the 5DII, keeping it current alongside a new, and much more expensive 5DIII. But they can't make enough 5DII's as it is...I don't see that happening either. And you certainly can't just stick an FF sensor into an existing APS-C design, the metrics and dynamics are very different.

Actually, FF cameras aren't entry-level product by definition-they do require bigger and better glass too, and longer tele's to make up for the lack of crop factor...and, just in case you hadn't noticed (ouch!), quality glass is getting more expensive by the minute...

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
this is most probably a pipe dream

unless the camera is an 8D catering to video users, with a very small megapixel count (<12) but getting rid of all the current issues (line-skipping, rolling shutter, etc)

because this could make sense, and because they could share the R&D cost for such a sensor with the video division

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
The 5D MK II is already the photosite density of the Canon 20D.  Thats very low.  even Nikoon executives admitted that their low pixel count would not happen again.

This sounds like it was made up by someone who likes the old 6mp Canon D30, because thats what we would have density wide if there were a 12mp FF camera like the D700.

I'd certainly never downgrade to one from my 5D MK II or trade out my 7D either for that matter.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
Well, I don't need a new entry level FF camera and I don't see it coming. This rumor doesn't make sens at all. FF DSLR system is expensive. It would be like an entry level of spending big money :D
What I would like to have is an affordable FF mirrorles camera from Canon. That would be THE camera for me.
FF + primes !

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
In case that Canon missed the boat developing mirrorless camera so far, low cost FF camera could be a quick fix to satisfy the need of potential mirrorless customer, not perfect of course, but it would be able to keep at least portion of the buyers for some time to come with Canon brand.
In any case if you guys think that there will never come low cost FF cameras, I can only laugh about that... like you are keeping hostage once most common, amateurish  35mm format for some elite that can afford it, I hate to burst your bubble but comparing to Hasselblad you still look pretty pathetic with all those D marks something...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
A 5d2 sensor in a Rebel body: plastic + pentamirror.

Sounds like an awesome travel + hiking camera where every gram counts.  I'd definitely buy it.  But I doubt that this is gonna happen any time soon.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
Canon do not have any Mirror less interchangeble lens camera Now. People in this forum are asking for FF low cost mirrorless system from Canon. That sound like they want Canon to run before Canon can walk. I hope that people can understand that there is only ONE mirrorless FF camera in the world. That is the Leica M9 and it is very expensive for both the body and the lenses. One of the biggest issue (at least for me) is the slow focusing speed of mirrorless camera (about 0.4 second, like any P& S).  M9 get fast shooting speed by using manual focusing (no auto focusing). How many EOS DSLR user knows how to use ZONE Focusing?? Canon has been doing Leica copy from the 1930's until 1960's. They definitely have the know how. How ever for them to resurect it. It will not be cheap.
I am for a good  mirrorless system with auto focusing speed comparable to DSLR. I will even settle for APS-C sensor with good manual focusing lens (or it will comes with Leica M ount or vis adapter).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »