October 24, 2014, 09:03:14 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern insecurities...  (Read 4607 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Magic Lantern insecurities...
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »
Hello.
Is there ANY reason I should consider not installing magic lantern on my 5d3?
Large file size and faster cards is not an issue, IQ is.

Please advice.

Thank you!

canon rumors FORUM

Magic Lantern insecurities...
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern insecurities...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
No, it's easily reversible so I doubt it could do permanent damage.  The difference in IQ is pretty massive, really it's the level of editing you can do to the image, its' the difference between RAW and jpeg pretty much.  If the shot is really underexposed you can pull it back up with virtually no loss in image quality.

The only thing is, the workflow is extremely cumbersome and I would definitely not use it for a professional gig until you have a lot of experience with it.  I have a buddy that shot a whole music video using it and had no idea what he was in for in terms of post and it ended up being a nightmare.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
Magic lantern drains my batteries when the camera is off, that's kind of annoying to pick up my camera the next morning and having a dead battery.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Hello.
Is there ANY reason I should consider not installing magic lantern on my 5d3?
Large file size and faster cards is not an issue, IQ is.

Please advice.

Thank you!

Not at all, it's soooo much better so long as you don't mind dealing with the files.
I've the pre-pre-alphas since nearly the beginning and it hasn't eaten my camera.

The only thing which I'm beginning to think might be a bug is battery drain. I swear I keep seeing the red light on the camera flash when I have ML loaded onto an installed card and I swear that my batteries have started draining like crazy, even with the camera sitting around, for the last number of ML versions. Maybe it always did that, but I'm starting to get a weird feeling.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
Magic lantern drains my batteries when the camera is off, that's kind of annoying to pick up my camera the next morning and having a dead battery.

Hah. Interesting, I was just commenting on that. So I guess it is ML then. They have done something weird in these last releases then.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
Don't do it - one of the CR Commandments is I am your Canon, thou shall have no other firmware before Me, or something along those lines.  ;)

I'll probably put it on my EOS M at some point...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Magic lantern drains my batteries when the camera is off

Ugh?! How's that? If anything it's gps that drains battery on t he 6d, otherwise it's a bug and you should post it on the ml forum...

No, it's easily reversible so I doubt it could do permanent damage.

Wrong - the alpha of ml on the 5d3 is not reversible right now, you cannot remove the boot flag yet (like on all other supported camera models). So if you want the option to remove ml w/o trace, don't use the 5d3 build yet...

... but as Canon never bothered anyone about the bootflag you should try ml anyway, it's beyond awesome :-)

one of the CR Commandments is I am your Canon, thou shall have no other firmware before Me,

Actually we should thank Canon for allowing ml to use their internal devlopment hook to boot the ml firmware on the card - Panasonic recently disabled any 3rd party fw: http://www.eoshd.com/content/518/why-panasonic-want-to-block-hacked-firmware

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

Ugh?! How's that? If anything it's gps that drains battery on t he 6d, otherwise it's a bug and you should post it on the ml forum...

Wrong - the alpha of ml on the 5d3 is not reversible right now, you cannot remove the boot flag yet (like on all other supported camera models). So if you want the option to remove ml w/o trace, don't use the 5d3 build yet...

... but as Canon never bothered anyone about the bootflag you should try ml anyway, it's beyond awesome :-)

one of the CR Commandments is I am your Canon, thou shall have no other firmware before Me,

Actually we should thank Canon for allowing ml to use their internal devlopment hook to boot the ml firmware on the card - Panasonic recently disabled any 3rd party fw: http://www.eoshd.com/content/518/why-panasonic-want-to-block-hacked-firmware

Part of me wonders if Canon marketing understands that it is a good thing or whether they hate it and have been going to engineering and asking them to lock it out and engineering is just going "que? que?" and putting uncomprehending looks on their faces and walking away :D because they are PO at how marketing has had them cripple so much of the awesome hardware they made. Or something. Probably not, since I'm sure business  types would never let an engineer get away with that, they probably have them locked in a dungeon, but who knows hah.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
I also need to look into whether it is not the Kenko DGX TC+70-300L combo causing the drain and not ML (also mine is not so bad that it goes full to gone in one night).

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
Part of me wonders if Canon marketing understands that it is a good thing

After a recent trip to the local electronics market/discounter shop and listening in to the conversations of people buying 7d-6d type gear I think what Canon marketing knows is: 90% of their customers don't care or have a clue, and those who do buy 1d type bodies with enough fw featues out of the box.

Plus the competition isn't any better, even Sony dslrs with an evf show a complete lack of imagination about what you can do with a dslr - so why should Canon bother and rock the boat?

The ml research shows that the Canon tech guys put a lot of features inside the digic processors, it's just that even their own firmware doesn't use it... more features mean more testing, bugs and support costs.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
Part of me wonders if Canon marketing understands that it is a good thing

After a recent trip to the local electronics market/discounter shop and listening in to the conversations of people buying 7d-6d type gear I think what Canon marketing knows is: 90% of their customers don't care or have a clue, and those who do buy 1d type bodies with enough fw featues out of the box.

Plus the competition isn't any better, even Sony dslrs with an evf show a complete lack of imagination about what you can do with a dslr - so why should Canon bother and rock the boat?

The ml research shows that the Canon tech guys put a lot of features inside the digic processors, it's just that even their own firmware doesn't use it... more features mean more testing, bugs and support costs.

I more meant whether they realize ML is actually a plus for them (I noted that the 5D3 price shot back up to near intro price just a few weeks after ML RAW came out, coincidence or cause and effect? what else could have suddenly driven demand up enough to support the high price again? i wonder)

Because in video you get eaten alive quickly.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »
Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Appreciate.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

Can someone explain what this bootflag is, and what setting it with ML and not being able to get rid of it means to me?

Also..from what I know..Canon has never actually 'opened' the books/doors to the ML crew. From what I understand it is a completely 100% clean room reverse engineer?

Anyway, I saw that ML redid their site, but I'm still having problems finding a definitive guide showing:
1. How to install on 5D3
2. Workflow for RAW video
....without jumping over post after post at different dates piecemeal.
:(

cayenne

Thanks!

CC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »

Hah. Interesting, I was just commenting on that. So I guess it is ML then. They have done something weird in these last releases then.

I noticed the same thing on my 60D.....  I really liked magic lantern, but after two weekend canoe trips where I drained my battery plus a spare ( shot perhaps 200 pictures to drain both batteries), I removed magic lantern from my camera. Without it I get at least 600 pictures per battery.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
Can someone explain what this bootflag is, and what setting it with ML and not being able to get rid of it means to me?

The bootflag is just a tiny bit in the firmware that tells the camera to load additional firmware from the card, this is most likely what Canon uses during firmware development. Not being able to get rid of it like on the 5d3 right now means that Canon could see that you were using ml if you send in your camera for service.

1. How to install on 5D3
2. Workflow for RAW video
....without jumping over post after post at different dates piecemeal.

5d3 and raw video are both beta, so either you do some research yourself or simply wait for an official release with a nice, polished documentation - these unpaid people can only do one thing at a time, code or write docs, but feel free to help out - apply in the ml forum :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »