November 21, 2014, 05:35:17 AM

Author Topic: 7D Mark II news  (Read 5231 times)

M.ST

7D Mark II news
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »
A german ambassador from Canon told some dealers that the 7D Mark II will be ready for the christmas business 2013.

He told them, that the 7D Mark II maybe have the same sensor as the 70D, is faster, body like the 5D Mark III (with no rate button), 5-shot-AEB, improved AF system for stills without live view and a CF card or a CF/SD card slot.

For me the specs sounds possible because the price gap between the 6D and 70D is not very big. But is it really possible that Canon introduce a product that is more popular and is reducing the sales of the 70D?

canon rumors FORUM

7D Mark II news
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
Re: 7D Mark II news
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:49 AM »
My guess is that it is too early to introduce the 7D MK II. Currently I see many second hand 7D's. People are selling them because they buy the 70D. So my guess is that Canon will not release 7D MK II before the end of 2014. But it is just a guess  ;)

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:17 AM »
For me the specs sounds possible because the price gap between the 6D and 70D is not very big. But is it really possible that Canon introduce a product that is more popular and is reducing the sales of the 70D?

Possibly, the 70D pretty much matches the 7D and replaces the 60D. Anybody looking for a 60D upgrade or a 7D type camera is covered by the 70D, the 7D mkii will appeal to 7D up-graders and those looking for the best crop camera. I don't think the 7Dmkii will take too many sales from the 70D, think of it like the difference between the 6D and 5Dmkiii.

As for the specs... sounds reasonable but a lot of people will be pissed if it uses the same sensor. I'm not knocking the 70D's sensor, it looks to be the best canon crop sensor for awhile and it's good to see them improving the banding but I think people will be expecting/wanting better ISO performance from the 7Dmkii

jd7

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:19:56 AM »
My guess is that it is too early to introduce the 7D MK II. Currently I see many second hand 7D's. People are selling them because they buy the 70D. So my guess is that Canon will not release 7D MK II before the end of 2014. But it is just a guess  ;)

Interesting comment.  I have to say, from all I've read and seen so far, I woudn't trade a 7D for a 70D.  To me, the 7D's joystick/ergonomics and more flexible AF system would sway me in its favour, and the slightly faster FPS (and larger buffer??) and build quality would help too.  The 70D's improvement in "sensor IQ" seems slight, and at least at this point wouldn't be enough sway me to it in comparison.  In fact, if I was buying today and they were the same price, I think I'd still take the 7D.  I can imagine those who are interested in video (it's just not my thing) may feel differently about the 70D, but I'm curious to know how many 7D owners out there are lining up to move to a 70D.

Any of CR's 7D shooters keen to make that move?
6D | 24-70 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 35 2 IS | 40 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 1.4x mk II | 430EX II

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
Well, there a few pros and cons going to 70D from a 7D. But some people consider the pros important enough to make the move. Personally, I pass.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »
Yawn! The 7DII is having almost as long a gestation as the very welcome 24-70 f/2.8II. This rumor sounds insubstantial. I believe Canon wants to make a splash with the 7DII, positioning it well above the 70D, with a price to suit. As the owner of an aging 1D4 with a LOT of miles on the clock, I'll put my money on a well specced 7D2.

I miss APS-H so a high performance APS-C will have to suffice. I like the reach provided by a crop sensor.

-PW

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »
The 7D II is going to come in significantly more expensive than a 7D or a 70D.  Punters will have a choice - price or performance.  By Christmas the 70D will have dropped a little in price as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
Well, there a few pros and cons going to 70D from a 7D. But some people consider the pros important enough to make the move. Personally, I pass.

I pass too.  2MP more?  I would like 8MP less!  Not going to happen though.

Also, and I hate to give DxO much credence, but assuming their testing is at least consistent between generations then their stats don't suggest a massive IQ rationale for an upgrade.

The phase AF systems are different, 7D much more control.  I like the flip out screen for video, but I've got my T3i for that, where for me, AF isn't important.

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »
If true this is good news ....

Hoping it gets 8-10 fps, and maybe a slightly increased buffer (30-35 raw should do)
Also really would like to see the 5dIII AF system in the 7d successor.

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
Yawn! The 7DII is having almost as long a gestation as the very welcome 24-70 f/2.8II. This rumor sounds insubstantial. I believe Canon wants to make a splash with the 7DII, positioning it well above the 70D, with a price to suit. As the owner of an aging 1D4 with a LOT of miles on the clock, I'll put my money on a well specced 7D2.

I miss APS-H so a high performance APS-C will have to suffice. I like the reach provided by a crop sensor.

-PW

+1
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:47:02 PM »
Didn't  someone from Canon say that the 7D2 would be groundbreaking? A bit better than the 70D is not.... I am hoping for some significant improvements.

The 70D is the first try with dual-pixels.... but they could do so much more... In the P/S world we have face tracking and even recognition... DSLR focus, with less than 100 points on the best of cameras, is crude by comparison in terms of granularity... what if they combined dual pixels into the af sensor and gave us the ability to track an object in much finer steps?

Whatever it is, it will have to be significantly better than the 70D to meet the "groundbreaking" hype..
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »

... sounds reasonable but a lot of people will be pissed if it uses the same sensor.

+1

mountain_drew

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
Didn't  someone from Canon say that the 7D2 would be groundbreaking? A bit better than the 70D is not.... I am hoping for some significant improvements.

The 70D is the first try with dual-pixels.... but they could do so much more... In the P/S world we have face tracking and even recognition... DSLR focus, with less than 100 points on the best of cameras, is crude by comparison in terms of granularity... what if they combined dual pixels into the af sensor and gave us the ability to track an object in much finer steps?

Whatever it is, it will have to be significantly better than the 70D to meet the "groundbreaking" hype..
Very true. I don't think they can afford to release a 70D+ after waiting so long for a 7D2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »