December 18, 2014, 09:35:28 PM

Author Topic: Theoretical question  (Read 5102 times)

photophreek

Re: Theoretical question
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »
When I read the OP's question, the sensor and IQ were the most important considerations for buying either the 7d or the 60d.  The other "nice to haves" were not that important from what I read.  I used the engine analogy as an extreme to make the point that the sensor as well as the features of the camera were all very important considerations when buying a camera.  As usual, someone has to take exception to what other people state as their opinion.  I'm only stating that...my opinion.  I really don't care what camera the OP buys.  I'm happy with my choice and I hope the OP will be happy with the choice they make.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »
When I read the OP's question, the sensor and IQ were the most important considerations for buying either the 7d or the 60d. 

It was actually the 600D (Rebel), but yeah, that's my main point.  :D  At the end of the day, is somebody going to be able to tell which camera I used on the landscape photo that's hanging on their wall?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
My apologies if this has been asked before. 

The 600D and 7D share the same sensor.  If I put the same lens (say, my 17-40 f/4 L) in front of both cameras, and snap the same shot at the same time, I should get the same image, right? 

Granted, the 7D has more niceties (sealed body, microfocusing, probably more shutter life, etc...), but I'm talking strictly the quality and characteristics of a single image. Am I thinking about this correctly, or am I missing something?

The answer to this question is actually very strange. Speaking strictly about Canon, they seem to put lower quality circuitry in their lower end cameras. So while the sensor is the same, the other components which also contribute to the image quality slightly aren't. In the end this leads to a slight performance difference between a lower end and a higher end body with the same sensor. I've tested this with the 50D and the lower end camera that shares the same sensor, the T1i, on 4 seperate models of each, all showed a slight difference in favor of the 50D bodies.

In the end the slight difference doesn't matter but this should make you feel better if you have an expensive body with the same sensor as a cheap body, or in my case I was on the fence between a T1i and a 50D and I went with a 50D in the end.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »