September 23, 2014, 12:46:29 PM

Author Topic: Is Canon about to pull the plug on the 60D?  (Read 2768 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Is Canon about to pull the plug on the 60D?
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Two members of my local photoclub (in India) have been trying to buy the 60D for the past month or so. They have tried buying online but the 60D is being reported to be out of stock / backordered from Canon. The local dealers are also citing that the 60D is short in supply. The dealers and online retailers are trying to push through the 70D citing the shortage of the 60D.

The last time I checked on B&H, the 60D is available so this might just be an India centric problem but is there any news that Canon is going to pull the plug on the 60D? Or is the 60D shortage being cited simply to push the sale of the more expensive 70D? Or maybe I've missed something ...
5D3, 6D
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

Is Canon about to pull the plug on the 60D?
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Is Canon about to pull the plug on the 60D?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
Yes, Canon has likely ended production of the 60D if it's in short supply in Asia, given the age of the camera. Plenty available on this side of the pond if you want one but I would just buy the 70D instead.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
Yes, Canon has likely ended production of the 60D if it's in short supply in Asia, given the age of the camera. Plenty available on this side of the pond if you want one but I would just buy the 70D instead.
+1

They're so cheap used here, I decided to keep mine on hand since my wife clings to the little picture things like a life-raft when borrowing my camera.

If she used the 7D, her head would assplode.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
I'd expect them to be phased out.  They are apparently not selling well, the refurbs from Canon in the USA were selling for $450 and didn't sell out.  They are getting big bucks for the 70D, but its selling slowly at the high price.  Once they make it to the refurb store, I might consider one.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
Agree that Canon is likely phasing it out. I don't know of any cases where Canon has kept a camera in the lineup for long after its direct replacement has been announced. (Although they did seem to keep the 5DII for quite a while, but I think that was just an interim strategy until the 6D was announced, since the 5DII and 5DIII are significantly different cameras.)

I'm not sure, though, that it's correct to say the 60D is not selling well. The 60D body is still hanging in there at #9 on the Amazon best sellers chart, which is pretty impressive for a body that's been replaced. And, the refurbished store is now sold out of all 60D bodies and only has the 18-135 kit in stock.

Actually, its the 7D which doesn't seem to be selling all that well right now. It's barely in the top 50 of DSLRs on Amazon and the Canon refurbished store has more than 500 in stock. That may reflect that the 70D offers almost all the features of the 7D plus a few more, all at a slightly lower price while the 60D is selling at bargain basement prices right now.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
If she used the 7D, her head would assplode.

LOL...I read that with a Strong Bad video game voice: "Your head a splode!"

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail94.html

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »
Agree that Canon is likely phasing it out. I don't know of any cases where Canon has kept a camera in the lineup for long after its direct replacement has been announced. (Although they did seem to keep the 5DII for quite a while, but I think that was just an interim strategy until the 6D was announced, since the 5DII and 5DIII are significantly different cameras.)

I'm not sure, though, that it's correct to say the 60D is not selling well. The 60D body is still hanging in there at #9 on the Amazon best sellers chart, which is pretty impressive for a body that's been replaced. And, the refurbished store is now sold out of all 60D bodies and only has the 18-135 kit in stock.

Actually, its the 7D which doesn't seem to be selling all that well right now. It's barely in the top 50 of DSLRs on Amazon and the Canon refurbished store has more than 500 in stock. That may reflect that the 70D offers almost all the features of the 7D plus a few more, all at a slightly lower price while the 60D is selling at bargain basement prices right now.

The 7D has never sold well. It just doesn't fit in the marketplace that is stuffed with lower costing cameras. The best thing Canon can do in the future is to slim down it's DSLR line so that there are clear differences between the segments and to increase profitability by pushing the next generation of lenses in the retail markets.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »

The 7D has never sold well. It just doesn't fit in the marketplace that is stuffed with lower costing cameras. The best thing Canon can do in the future is to slim down it's DSLR line so that there are clear differences between the segments and to increase profitability by pushing the next generation of lenses in the retail markets.

That's absolutely not true. The 7D has been a very good seller for Canon. Does it match the volume of Rebels sold? Of course not. But, none of the enthusiast and professional cameras have ever come close to Rebels in sales.

The 7D has consistently been among the top sellers on Amazon since it was first announced. It is now four years old and still among the top 50 best selling DSLRs – no small accomplishment, especially as most buyers have been anticipating a replacement for a year now. Something which has undoubtedly cut into sales.

When it was introduced Canon clearly differentiated the 7D from other models in its lineup. Later, when the 60D was introduced, the differences between the 60D and the 7D were significant.

In order to upgrade the 60D Canon had to incorporate many of the features of the 7D into the 70D, or there would have been no reason for buyers to choose the 70D. So, today, 70D buyers are getting a camera with a marginally improved sensor and four-year old autofocus technology. If you shoot stills, the 7D is still a better choice, although not as much of a better choice as it was against the 60D.

This idea that the market cannot support a flagship APS-C body has been tossed around many times before on this forum, always without any evidence, information or research to support such statements.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »

That's absolutely not true. The 7D has been a very good seller for Canon. Does it match the volume of Rebels sold? Of course not. But, none of the enthusiast and professional cameras have ever come close to Rebels in sales.

The 7D has consistently been among the top sellers on Amazon since it was first announced. It is now four years old and still among the top 50 best selling DSLRs – no small accomplishment, especially as most buyers have been anticipating a replacement for a year now. Something which has undoubtedly cut into sales.

When it was introduced Canon clearly differentiated the 7D from other models in its lineup. Later, when the 60D was introduced, the differences between the 60D and the 7D were significant.

In order to upgrade the 60D Canon had to incorporate many of the features of the 7D into the 70D, or there would have been no reason for buyers to choose the 70D. So, today, 70D buyers are getting a camera with a marginally improved sensor and four-year old autofocus technology. If you shoot stills, the 7D is still a better choice, although not as much of a better choice as it was against the 60D.

This idea that the market cannot support a flagship APS-C body has been tossed around many times before on this forum, always without any evidence, information or research to support such statements.

The more expensive the camera the worse the sales :) The 1DX is probably the worst selling camera in the Canon Line-up.

We can argue about the need or demand for crop cameras of various capabilities, but in terms of raw numbers sold, it is the Rebels that are keeping the lights on at the factory... and the number of people who are so quick to defend the 7D and the number of people who seem so anxious to see a 7D2 would indicate that there is a pent-up demand for higher end crop bodies..

The line-up used to be 60D and 7D. It will be 70D and 7D2. Don't think of the 70D 7D lineup as anything more than a temporary blip... The only thing that some superior features of the 70D over the 7D means is that you can expect the 7D2 to be even better....

The 60D is a darn good camera.... but the 70D is superior in almost every way... eventually stock will be gone and that will be the end of it. The 7D2 will have about as much impact on 70D sales as the 1DX has on 5D3 sales.... at that level, you know what you want and you get it....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »