July 29, 2014, 08:04:23 PM

Author Topic: 200 f2.0 first dissapointed customer ever? *it's back!*  (Read 11081 times)

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: 200 f2.0 first dissapointed customer ever?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:12 AM »
Not knowing what country you are in... but if you are in the USA...

(1)- Even with insurance and shipping from the UPS Store and paying their markup, it shouldn't cost that much to ship and insure, unless you are sending it express.

(2) In my experience, FedEx has been less money to ship and insure high value items compared to UPS. My experience is limited to a declared value of $7.5k USD.

(3) Unless you have a shipping account, you cannot declare high value items with the UPS website, forcing you to pay the 100% mark-up rates at the UPS Store. $5k was the online limit I encountered.

(4) UPS will not honor damage claims on their "insurance" unless they package the items or you explicitly follow their guidelines. Some homeowner insurance policies allow for shipping coverage.

(5) You should sign up for CPS Gold if you can before sending in that lens. Not only is there a discount on the repair, but the return shipping is covered.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:12 AM »

eosuser1234

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:58 AM »
Bring it to the CPS center in Ginza.  They are very professional, and have free volvic for you to drink.  THey will at least give you a loaner until you get yours fixed.

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:14:31 AM »
I'd take it back. lemon law
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »
If you haven't used the lens in a sandstorm or buried it at the playground, how could there be sand or gravel underneath the focus ring?

It's much more likely that something has broken inside the lens (sheared off plastic gear teeth come to mind) which are causing the issue. And something like that is a probable cause for the focus inaccuracies as well.

Where I live, this would be covered by the warranty even though I'd be the second owner of the lens, but perhaps you could ask if the guy you bought it from could handle the warranty portion for you.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »
Unfortunately, you do take this sort of risk when you buy a used lens.  A lens that was dropped may have a part inside that was cracked, so it appears to function normally for a while until the part breaks, and only then do you notice a problem.

I think it's a good idea to factor this sort of thing into the price you are willing to pay for a used lens.  If the deal is good enough that you can add the cost of a service visit to what you paid, and still come out significantly cheaper than a new (or refurbished, if available) lens, then you're getting a good price on the used copy. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
All advice and comments are appreciated :)

I live in Norway so shipping with normal post-office mail isn't an option, they only insure up to 1500 usd. And with insurance and shipping for 6000 usd the price is 200.

I know the guy who sold it to me, and he's a great guy, so I think there is 100% chance this isn't caused by either of us, but something with the lens. The lens is only 10 months old.

And I don't think either of us have even used the focusing ring for any thing else than supporting the lens.

It's just very annoying that the sealing is rubbish on this one. I think it's useless that it could happen without even using it situations where it could be an issue with a non-sealed lens. I have pushed the limit with some of my other gear to see what it could take and they worked flawlessly no matter what. I expect this lens to do the same, that's all.

The AF issue is a "sh!t happens" thing, it could happen, I can accept that. But everybody here would be pretty upset to have it happen to a 6k lens within the first year.

I'll update the thread when I get some kind of feedback from the service place, could be useful for others if it is in fact gravel and it's not covered. That means you can't trust the sealing until the lens breaks and you get it fixed.

Thanks again :)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
The AF issue is a "sh!t happens" thing, it could happen, I can accept that. But everybody here would be pretty upset to have it happen to a 6k lens within the first year.

...as opposed to a nearly $7K camera within the first year?  Honestly, the 1D X issue is worse, IMO, because it affects pretty much all users who bought the camera before the recall, whereas I haven't seen a big outcry or recall of the 200/2 for 'gravel in the focus ring' - seems you were unlucky and got a lemon.  Still sucks, though.  I suspect it'll end up not being gravel (wouldn't you or the person you bought it from know that it had been dragged through gravel?), or the sealing, but something internal that's broken. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »

...as opposed to a nearly $7K camera within the first year?  Honestly, the 1D X issue is worse, IMO, because it affects pretty much all users who bought the camera before the recall, whereas I haven't seen a big outcry or recall of the 200/2 for 'gravel in the focus ring' - seems you were unlucky and got a lemon.  Still sucks, though.  I suspect it'll end up not being gravel (wouldn't you or the person you bought it from know that it had been dragged through gravel?), or the sealing, but something internal that's broken.

I can agree that the 1dx issue is worse because it affects much more people. But I had mine in for service but it never  malfunctioned for me, and it seems to me that majority of serviced 1dx's wasn't having the symptoms, just the serialnumber.

I certainly hope something internal is broken, but considering the ring haven't been used and worked fine three weeks ago, I doubt it. But I can't know that until they open it. I also can't really know where the dust I see inside the lens is located. All I know are the symptoms not the solution. Point being when it has seen almost no use, it shouldn't have to be repaired. A D.O.A-lens would have been much easier to accept...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:29:04 AM by Viggo »

aussiekid

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »
If you're using the 5D Mark III, there's a known compatibility issue with this lens and a service bulletin from Canon.  I sent my 200 f/2L into Canon for the update.....

What was the issue? I just bought the mk3 and also have the 200 f/2L
Source?
5D Mark III.
24-70 2.8L II.
200 2.8L II.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
If you're using the 5D Mark III, there's a known compatibility issue with this lens and a service bulletin from Canon.  I sent my 200 f/2L into Canon for the update.....

Source?

Loud noise from the IS system.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480532d6b

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »

Source?

The issue as I recall it was a abnormal rattling or clicking noise in the IS unit. The lens needs an update from Canon.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
I'd have not waited a month to exchange it (unless it just suddenly happened). 

Even the big whites can have issues, just as $100,000 cars have issues.  Get it fixed or exchanged.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
I'd have not waited a month to exchange it (unless it just suddenly happened). 

Even the big whites can have issues, just as $100,000 cars have issues.  Get it fixed or exchanged.

I just discovered the focus ring issue. The AF issue I have been trying to work out if it's calibration, skills or or other, plus as mentioned, getting it to service is quite the task. The first clue was that FoCal just couldn't get it to focus properly on the target and kept prompting me that it had tried 5 times and quality of focus varied a lot.

Yes, the big whites are allowed issues. It just seems unlikely that I had three copies of the 24 L II, all brand new, non of them worked, too exchanged under warranty by canon. I had two copies of the 70-200 mk2 and changed three AF units and Four IS units. One of them also had to realign a couple of the lenses! It never turned out okay., also under warrranty. Two 580 flashes with multiple issues. Had a 300 f2.8 that front focused about 100 meters aiming at 150 meters. All of this is very strange if it's only the occasional issue..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:08:11 PM by Viggo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
The first clue was that FoCal just couldn't get it to focus properly on the target and kept prompting me that it had tried 5 times and quality of focus varied a lot.

How much light did you have (what were your reported EVs)?  I find that FoCal is very consistent at 11-12 EV or higher, but inconsistent results or run failures are more common at 10 EV and lower.

Yes, the big whites are allowed issues. It just seems unlikely that I had three copies of the 24 L II, all brand new, non of them worked, too exchanged under warranty by canon. I had two copies of the 70-200 mk2 and changed three AF units and Four IS units. One of them also had to realign a couple of the lenses! It never turned out okay., also under warrranty. Two 580 flashes with multiple issues. Had a 300 f2.8 that front focused about 100 meters aiming at 150 meters. All of this is very strange if it's only the occasional issue..

I currently own 2 bodies, 14 lenses (plus 2 TCs), and 3 flashes (plus an ST-E3).  In addition to those, I've previously owned an additional 3 bodies, 8 lenses (plus 2 TCs), and 2 flashes.  Out of all of those, I've not had a single issue that required service, except the aforementioned need to send in my 1D X for a recall at some point.

Either I'm very lucky, you're very unlucky, or some combination thereof...

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
Call them.
Don't worry about the gravel etc.- you didn't try to open the lens, so it is their baby.

sek
When you called Canon, what did they say?

Sorry, I know you're frustrated, but $h!t happens.  Occasionally, a bad lens is shipped and someone gets unlucky.  Sometimes, a whole production run has a goof, and there's a service advisory (aka recall) - I still need to send my 1D X in for that, actually.

So...venting is good, but getting your problems fixed is better.

I sent my usual service place a very long email explaining in detail the issues, but it was after closing, so I hope they'll get back to me tomorrow .. I intend on sending it in, it's just VERY annoying I keep having problems with newish lenses. The most expensive gear I have the most issues with..
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »