September 21, 2014, 02:16:13 PM

Author Topic: I hate photographing my family for posed photos...  (Read 7018 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I hate photographing my family for posed photos...
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
They always look horrible.  The wife has very thin eyes naturally when she smiles, so it looks like they are closed, my daughter likes to bug out her eyes to be funny... and then today we were on a limited time schedule so I really didn't have a chance to review the images... and needless to say... Ughhh...

And then I was asked to have my two and their two cousin do a group photo... I don't see that ending well since the baby may elect to cry... the other will bug out her eyes, the one cousin is completely unruly and if she lived in my house and acted the way she did, she would be disciplined everyday, and the other is physically and mentally handicapped. 

So god help me. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

I hate photographing my family for posed photos...
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: I hate photographing my family for posed photos...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
Simple solution! Don't photograph the family that way... Just shoot them in their natural environment doing what they like best... You are more likely to get keepers that way - but then you knew that already :)

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:08:07 PM »
Simple solution! Don't photograph the family that way... Just shoot them in their natural environment doing what they like best... You are more likely to get keepers that way - but then you knew that already :)

I do... all the time... because that is the only way I get natural photos... but it is the group photos that are requested.  I'm like a rap DJ at a hot NY club who is asked to play some Sweet Home Alabama... sure... I love me some Sweet Home Alabama... but will THIS crowd dance to the tune.  Nope.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

thebowtie

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • You want me to rant? Go ahead, make my day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »

I do... all the time... because that is the only way I get natural photos... but it is the group photos that are requested.  I'm like a rap DJ at a hot NY club who is asked to play some Sweet Home Alabama... sure... I love me some Sweet Home Alabama... but will THIS crowd dance to the tune.  Nope.
Maybe there's a different way.
It seems that you get acceptable shots once the subjects are comfortable with your presence as you shoot them one-on-one, or in smaller groups, and that the problem really arises when you have a large group, who probably get restless while you compose and shoot.

Try something that turns the "oh, no, a group photo" into  a "yippee" moment.
Make it fun! (Now I don't know what that will take in your circumstances - to make it fun long enough to keep their attention.
If the young ones are the troublemakers - give them something fun to do as part of the shoot!

Just an idea.

Cheers
A Camera. Some Lenses. Some accessories. Talent on back-order

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »

Maybe there's a different way.
It seems that you get acceptable shots once the subjects are comfortable with your presence as you shoot them one-on-one, or in smaller groups, and that the problem really arises when you have a large group, who probably get restless while you compose and shoot.

Try something that turns the "oh, no, a group photo" into  a "yippee" moment.
Make it fun! (Now I don't know what that will take in your circumstances - to make it fun long enough to keep their attention.
If the young ones are the troublemakers - give them something fun to do as part of the shoot!

Just an idea.

Cheers

I'm more of a  ninja  photographer.   I'm stealthy and I take the shot when they least expect it.   it  has nothing to do with comfort level.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »
Count yourself lucky, my group family pictures have native Asians in them . . . not only do we get the pose, we get the peace sign  :o
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »
They always look horrible.  The wife has very thin eyes naturally when she smiles, so it looks like they are closed, my daughter likes to bug out her eyes to be funny... and then today we were on a limited time schedule so I really didn't have a chance to review the images... and needless to say... Ughhh...

And then I was asked to have my two and their two cousin do a group photo... I don't see that ending well since the baby may elect to cry... the other will bug out her eyes, the one cousin is completely unruly and if she lived in my house and acted the way she did, she would be disciplined everyday, and the other is physically and mentally handicapped. 

So god help me.

LOL.... ;D ;D ;D

This is where I take out my 70-200 or future 300/400 f2.8 IS II. Stay far away from them and let them play as kid - you'll more decent photos instead asking them to pose for shots.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »

So god help me.

LOL.... ;D ;D ;D

This is where I take out my 70-200 or future 300/400 f2.8 IS II. Stay far away from them and let them play as kid - you'll more decent photos instead asking them to pose for shots.

I  do agree,  but if I serve up a fine creme brulee, I  will inevitably hear that they ordered tira misu. 

oh and today I had the baby set up for some photos of her feet with an umbrella and of camera flash and she refuses to cooperate..  she's just kicking away like she is trying to  tread water.  I'm thinking I should just become s landscape photographer because landscapes don't blink  or  move.

MacroBug

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 12:19:38 AM »
When in doubt, offfer to pay them if they behave to your satisfaction. Works wonders, but won't do much for the baby...

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:10 PM »
I'm thinking I should just become s landscape photographer because landscapes don't blink  or  move.

Just remember that the light and seasons wait for no one!

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
Good answer.
The best is to make picutres when they dont notice you.
The way I do it.
And a camera is always near me, so I can react fast.
The yippie!- moment is also a very good idea.

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
I hate group pictures myself, they want organized pictures from a dysfunct./unorganized world. My wife is a queen of posers, who loves to pose.... every single picture that she likes has her posing the same way in every pictures. If you compare all the pictures from her childhood to current, it has her growing older, and the background changing.

Me on the other hand, I can't pose... my smile is all f-ed up.. it curls up and fucks up my face. Pictures in which I am in a natural situation, I would say 5 out 10 are good, as opposed to 10 out 10 are bad when I am posing.

In my opinion, take the pictures... group pictures and natural pictures.
In post, separate them and let the people who wanted the group pictures decide what they want to keep and what they want to chuck.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »
Two suggestions:

1. You're never a prophet in your own country. Consider hiring a professional portrait photographer -- and get in the picture yourself.

2. Failing number 1, try a technique I've found successful, especially in dealing with eye issues. Get everyone placed as you want them and tell them to close their eyes and take a deep breath. Tell them to keep their eyes closed and count out loud from 10 down to one -- and on one open their eyes. (You don't do the count, they do as it keeps their minds occupied so their bodies can relax.) On the count of two, you open up with the fasted fps you've got.

Whatever works! Good luck.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
Two suggestions:

1. You're never a prophet in your own country. Consider hiring a professional portrait photographer -- and get in the picture yourself.

2. Failing number 1, try a technique I've found successful, especially in dealing with eye issues. Get everyone placed as you want them and tell them to close their eyes and take a deep breath. Tell them to keep their eyes closed and count out loud from 10 down to one -- and on one open their eyes. (You don't do the count, they do as it keeps their minds occupied so their bodies can relax.) On the count of two, you open up with the fasted fps you've got.

Whatever works! Good luck.
Good advice. +1 on the fps 
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
I've decided...  I'm going to set them all together....  take a photo and then use a zombie app.   I'll print the photos and when they ask whytheyare all zombies,  I'll say that is how they look and i don't see what they are talking about.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »