March 06, 2015, 06:31:52 AM

Author Topic: Is the EOS-M the biggest sensor for the money?  (Read 1158 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Is the EOS-M the biggest sensor for the money?
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »
Just thinking about cost per square mm of sensor real estate, I can't think of anything that comes close to APS-C for $299.

329 mm² for $299 = for 1.1mm² per $1.

Anybody know of a "better" deal.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

Is the EOS-M the biggest sensor for the money?
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »

Khufu

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
Re: Is the EOS-M the biggest sensor for the money?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
There's a pretty incredible camera out there which gets very little attention;

Samsung NX1000

It's since been replaced by the NX1100 then the NX2000 as Samsung's cheapest offering of current line-ups, though I believe it pretty much has their best sensor, as offered in their "flagship" NX20.

It's a larger sensor than Canon's 1.6x Crop, being a 1.5x Crop Sensor, and off the top of my head I think they market it as 20.4mp.

I have both the EOS M and NX1000 and can tell you the sensor in the EOS M blows the Samsung out of the water in Low Light/High ISO handling - but the Samsung is still an impressive little beast with tons of bells and whistles Canon wouldn't dream of offering at the time (WiFi for monitoring & shutter release and file transfer, expansive video features including 1/2 and 1/4 speed slow motion, in camera editing, amazing WB "point and shoot at something white.. sorted!" feature, B/W with selective colouring like SIN CITY! in cam for video and pics, other cool things... though no mic input - that was the only thing then added to the NX1100)

Having said all that; I don't know what these go for in the States but having played with one for aeons it's UK ebay prices seem insane to me... and they do S___loads of Prime lenses! I LOVE the 16mm f/2.4; I don't think anyone else offers anything as fast and wide (do they?) and they do a cheap 30mm f/2... maybe an 85mm f/1.8-ish?

I'm still baffled over which I prefer - mostly because of their lens selection - though I've recently started free-lensing with the 16mm f/2.4 on the EOS (I've posted about it recently on the forum ;)

I'm quite the talking-to-self-too-much typer, I do apologise!

In summary;

Samsung and Sony offer 1.5x Crop sensors - I love the look of the tiny, light thing Sony have put out there - I believe it's cheap but crippled... input, anyone?

Also; EOS M's screen beats all that I've played with!
5D3 // 70D // EOS M & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Is the EOS-M the biggest sensor for the money?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »