September 22, 2014, 04:33:57 PM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M [CR2]  (Read 21642 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Next EOS M [CR2]
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

The New EOS M

We’re told that an EOS M announcement is coming soon. This source believes two cameras will be announced┬ásimultaneously, although that is not yet confirmed. As mentioned previously, the first camera will be a minor upgrade from the current EOS M and priced much lower than the original EOS M. It will also be available in more colors than the previous model.

A second higher end camera will be have more accessories available for it, such as an EVF. The system will also get a new flash.

A longer telephoto zoom will also be announced alongside at least one of these cameras.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Next EOS M [CR2]
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »
The original EOS M is selling very well in Japan now, thanks to aggressive pricing as well as the much needed firmware AF update. I expect the replacement EOS M to feature the same dual pixel technology in the EOS 70D, this will make the EOS M really sell like hot cakes, at least in the Asia Pacific area.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
I hope it has full frame and an optical viewfinder and takes EF lenses natively.

I don't. I don't and I don't.

But I just wanted to be the first to say it.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
I hope it has full frame and an optical viewfinder and takes EF lenses natively.

Feel better now? Fine. Now I'll be the first to say: Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes!

At the very least, give us a forty in an M mount please. Is that asking too much?

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

Feel better now? Fine. Now I'll be the first to say: Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes!

At the very least, give us a forty in an M mount please. Is that asking too much?

+1 pancakes pancakes pancakes.

The only thing stopping me from buying a APSC CSC camera right now is the lacks of one with good AF and a decent range of pancakes.

That said, if the new M has the AF speed of some of the sony NEX range. I'd buy one.
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »

+1 pancakes pancakes pancakes.

+2!

LOVE the size and weight of the M plus 22.  I'd love to get a few more native pancakes.  For now, I'm really enjoying using it plus the 40 STM via adapter.  I could see me buying one or two more pancakes (depending on the FL) as well as an "occasional use" telephoto zoom and probably the 11-22 and just ditching my 60D and lenses and buying a 6D or 6D2 depending on the timing.  One for really important pics, the other for casual use.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Yup, more pancakes would be nice. 

I don't see the point of a CSC without them.  Would be good to see canon follow Pentax's lead.

What focal length pancakes?  Fast UWA prime?  Short Tele?

I've actually rediscovered 35mm equivalent as a nice perspective, in my early days I was eager for drama and perspective, so pooh pooh'd boring established FL's like 35.  But it's nice.  Especially with the fast aperture.
I like my 22 EF-m a lot.

And I WAS kidding about the other stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
Yup, more pancakes would be nice. 

I don't see the point of a CSC without them.  Would be good to see canon follow Pentax's lead.

What focal length pancakes?  Fast UWA prime?  Short Tele?

I've actually rediscovered 35mm equivalent as a nice perspective, in my early days I was eager for drama and perspective, so pooh pooh'd boring established FL's like 35.  But it's nice.  Especially with the fast aperture.
I like my 22 EF-m a lot.

And I WAS kidding about the other stuff.

35mm is a great focal length, and the reason why I like the M/22mm combination for a compact walkaround.  I'm actually more partial to the 35mm focal length than the standard 50mm.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
If nothing else, the M I got through the firesale has got me interested in the platform.  I certainly wouldn't mind the zoom if it were reasonably compact, but I would really like to see a few more pancakes.

I will be interested to see how they differentiate the two models...and when they will start selling the 11-22mm in the US
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

serpicolugnut

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
As an owner/lover of the first M, I don't think a lack of color options is what hurt the line in the US. The slow autofocus that was largely addressed in the 2.x update was the main culprit. The other was the initial price. I know that once the price hit $300-$350 for the body with the 22mm lens, they started flying off the shelf here.

So, take a new version, add the dual pixel AF from the 70D, and I think you have a winner. Obviously adding a longer telephoto lens would be welcome, but honestly, with the EF mount adapter, I don't see the lack of a longer EF-M telephoto as too much of a drawback.

The bigger issue is that Canon USA apparently has no confidence in the line, which is the only logical explanation as to why they aren't selling the EF-M 11-22 lens here in the states. Which is a shame, because I picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and that lens, paired with the M body, makes a great travel/landscape/architecture combination that is both powerful and light.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »
Obviously adding a longer telephoto lens would be welcome, but honestly, with the EF mount adapter, I don't see the lack of a longer EF-M telephoto as too much of a drawback.

+1 Absolutely, something like a 55-250 is never going to be compact anyway, the existing EF-s model can be had pretty cheaply (for a lens capable of such decent images) and the new STM version looks even better, hopefully the price is right.

If you are wanting a telephoto lens then your bag is going to be bigger, why not just get the existing option that will mount on a wider range of bodies and the adaptor, no point duplicating lenses, in my opinion at least.  An EF-m is restrictive, an EF-s less so.  EF would be ideal?  (but then we already have the 70-300 IS non L)

padmasana

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
Looking forward to the next generation of this camera.
I've become quite a fan of the EOS M.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Be nice if Canon would take the Fuji route and provide really good primes.  On the other hand, Fuji doesn't have to
protect Rebel market share and wedge in a product whose only advantage is size.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
I'd be interested in an M with a built-in EVF. A camera with an awkward  hot-shoe EVF just doesn't cut-it with someone who uses a lot of fill flash. 

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
Like to see really good AF -plus a crop greater than 1.6 (a la Nikon) would be nice.   My great whites will become even mightier!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »