August 31, 2014, 06:16:32 AM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M [CR2]  (Read 21090 times)

UrbanVoyeur

• Rebel SL1
  • To see and be seen.
    • View Profile
    • UrbanVoyeur.com
Re: The Next EOS M [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
The next M needs:
- GPS
- WiFi
- flip/swivel rear screen
- built in flash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
I might be the only one who wants a 15mm pancake ^_^ Or why stop there... an 11mm or even 10mm pancake would be surreal.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
You are not the only one, I want 12mm pancake but after 11-22 IS I don't think we will see such wide pancakes soon.

P.S. 11, 44 and 88mm primes(pancakes) would be a great company for 22/2  :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:57:03 AM by noncho »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
The bigger issue is that Canon USA apparently has no confidence in the line, which is the only logical explanation as to why they aren't selling the EF-M 11-22 lens here in the states.

It could also be that they plan to make a bigger splash with the new M by announcing 1-2 lenses along with it in the USA.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
I'd be interested in an M with a built-in EVF. A camera with an awkward  hot-shoe EVF just doesn't cut-it with someone who uses a lot of fill flash.

+1

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
I'd be interested in an M with a built-in EVF. A camera with an awkward  hot-shoe EVF just doesn't cut-it with someone who uses a lot of fill flash.

To me, that sounds like bigger.  In the case of the M, I don't think bigger is better.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
Obviously, the new  "longer" lens to be released with the EOS-M models is the 800F5.6 :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »

To me, that sounds like bigger.  In the case of the M, I don't think bigger is better.

There's no reason why there can't be a body with a built-in EVF and one without. However, I'm with c.d.embrey on this one. A shrunken DSLR form factor would be good, something like the rumored Olympus E-M1, with tiny lenses to match, for when I don't want to carry around a 22-lb photo backpack.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
Be nice if Canon would take the Fuji route and provide really good primes.  On the other hand, Fuji doesn't have to
protect Rebel market share and wedge in a product whose only advantage is size.

Why would Canon be concerned with people buying EOS-M instead of a Rebel? They cover the same price range, and as long as I'm spending my money on something from Canon I'm sure they don't really care what it is.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if the Rebels and EF-S mount went away forever. I want a 7D2/70D to run my telephoto, but I don't really need or want any EF-S lenses, and everything else would work just as well without the SLR (now that they have on-sensor AF).
-100% RAW-

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
There's no reason why there can't be a body with a built-in EVF and one without.

If Canon (or Canon USA, at least) is having trouble pushing one model, how will they feel about two?  The other problem I see with that is that I'm afraid the two models will have different sensors - a cheap one (T5i/SL1 sensor, no EVF) and a more expensive one (70D sensor, EVF, and bigger). 

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
If EOS-M catches on they should just try to move the Rebel line to full frame, ending the need for EF-S forever. Just give the 6D the T3 treatment, remove as many high end features as possible and use a low resolution sensor. If they could reach the sub $1,000 price point I'm sure it would be a hit (and a great camera, I love my T3).

There's no reason why there can't be a body with a built-in EVF and one without.

If Canon (or Canon USA, at least) is having trouble pushing one model, how will they feel about two?  The other problem I see with that is that I'm afraid the two models will have different sensors - a cheap one (T5i/SL1 sensor, no EVF) and a more expensive one (70D sensor, EVF, and bigger).

If they want to succeed all future EOS-M must have dual pixel AF, anything without it will just get laughed at.
I really hope no-one at Canon is that dumb.
-100% RAW-

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
I really hope no-one at Canon is that dumb.

You evidently have a higher opinion of them than I do….  ;)

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
If Canon (or Canon USA, at least) is having trouble pushing one model, how will they feel about two?

Saying this is taking the situation out of context.  You're acting like the 2 models will be comparable to the existing M (one may be and I agree with the rest of your post that a lower spec'd M may retain the 18mp sensor) and that's not even close to the case at hand.

The current M failed initially for 3 main reasons (as you well know); price, AF, lens selection compared to competition.  AF was remedied somewhat (to a very usable degree in my opinion and experience) and the price was slashed big time.  Now the M is selling VERY well - even with the same lens selection and people are VERY happy with what they have in their hands.

A high-spec'd M (DPAF sensor) would be a totally different animal and if Canon announces the M with 2-3 lenses (11-22, 50-ish prime, and telephoto zoom) then it's not even fair to compare the situations.  There will be WAY too many variables that are different and if people can't grasp that then... well...  Sounds like a mental deficiency to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

josephandrews222

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »

I think your guess is right...and I do wonder about the wisdom of such a choice.

The #1 attribute of the M is its sensor size...huge relative to its body.

The #2 attribute of the M is the body's small size...which makes the 22mm pancake a winner.

The #3 attribute of the M is its 11-22mm lens, which brings above-average, image-stabilized, Canon-branded wide-angle shots to hobbyists at a very reasonable price

But the 18-55mm lens is actually pretty good, too, and it is better for video than the 22mm because of IS. I own a second-generation Rebel, and it and its kit 18-55mm lens is jumbo-sized compared with the M with its 18-55mm attached.

So, I would be less inclined to buy an M that is (substantially) physically larger...I would just rather use one of my DSLRs instead.

The EVF, in my view, might sell more bodies to the holdouts out there, but my gosh I have certainly gotten used to shooting M-style...so much so that I occasionally find myself reaching for my DSLR's LCD screen! So an EVF inclusion that makes the M's body larger? Or even just a little bit larger? I vote no.

...on the other hand, a movable, tiltable LCD screen for the M? If that could be done (with minimal enlargement of the body)...I might buy into that.

But this two-different-model solution to fix what ails M sales? I don't know. It sure might confuse the public.

Here is what Canon needs to find out...how much will their base pay for 70D-quality focusing on an M body? If you think about it...it is a really fascinating question.

Would Canon move product by selling such an M...for the same price as the 70D? I don't think so.

If the 70D is $1,000.00, how much will its M analog go for? What would folks be willing to pay?

I am not sure.

Let's go further. Suppose they could build an M with the capabilities of the 7DII. What would people pay?

Not sure again...and let's face it, those who would buy an M at this price are NOT going double up and buy the 7DII, too, are they?

But the mirrorless thing is not going to go away.

Echoing a previous post of mine (and made on this thread by another poster), I can honestly envision APS-C, for Canon, going entirely mirrorless.

And I own the 17-55 2.8 IS Canon lens...so I've invested in APS-C as well. But there's something about the M, and mirrorless shooting, that I believe is going to appeal to young photographers, and novice photographers. It has surely caught my fancy...slow focus and all.

Sure it is too soon (even for APS-C) to say...the mirror is dead, long live the mirror. But that day is coming. Maybe not for full frame...but sooner for APS-C, I think.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:13:13 PM by josephandrews222 »
5DMkIII; 40D; M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

jhanken

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

Agreed.  I think we need to remember that we just got the SL, which sounds a lot like what c.d.embrey is looking for.
5DIII, 60D, 24-105mm f/4 L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 35mm f/1.4A, Jupiter-9 85mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »