April 20, 2014, 08:22:33 PM

Author Topic: Wide IS lenses - price drop!  (Read 1503 times)

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
Wide IS lenses - price drop!
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

All three of the more recent IS wide primes -- the 24mm IS, 28mm IS and the 35mm IS -- just took a significant price drop.  All are in the $550-$600 range now at B&H and Adorama.

Get on it.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Wide IS lenses - price drop!
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Wide IS lenses - price drop!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
It seems that lowered their prices when they found were manufactured 50,000 units but sold only 200 units. :P

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
It seems that lowered their prices when they found were manufactured 50,000 units but sold only 200 units. :P

It's amazing how quickly we kick to the curb a prime lens that is missing a red ring.  :P

Consider what these IS non-L primes offer: 

• Outstandingly sharp performance, on par with the 24L at matched apertures - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/774-canon28f28isff?start=1
  • From Bryan Carnathan @ TDP: "This is not Canon L Series Lens, but it has image quality that challenges these impressive lenses - and carries a price that make some of us wonder why Canon did not take the extra steps required to add weather sealling and put the red ring on it."
  • These are modern lenses -- internal focusing, very good build quality (on par with the 100L macro), and fast USM focusing.
  • 3-4 stops of IS let's you net keepers in worse light (for non-moving subjects, yes), or have a useful DOF when you need it in low light.  If I am shooting a low light portrait hand-held, I'd rather shoot at F/4 with IS than F/1.4 without.  At F/1.4 I'll have no DOF or any sharpness to speak of!

I have the 28mm IS and it's outstanding. The only thing it lacks that I need is a weather-sealing gasket. 

- A

ajfotofilmagem

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »

It's amazing how quickly we kick to the curb a prime lens that is missing a red ring.  :P

Consider what these IS non-L primes offer: 

• Outstandingly sharp performance, on par with the 24L at matched apertures - http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/774-canon28f28isff?start=1
  • From Bryan Carnathan @ TDP: "This is not Canon L Series Lens, but it has image quality that challenges these impressive lenses - and carries a price that make some of us wonder why Canon did not take the extra steps required to add weather sealling and put the red ring on it."
  • These are modern lenses -- internal focusing, very good build quality (on par with the 100L macro), and fast USM focusing.
  • 3-4 stops of IS let's you net keepers in worse light (for non-moving subjects, yes), or have a useful DOF when you need it in low light.  If I am shooting a low light portrait hand-held, I'd rather shoot at F/4 with IS than F/1.4 without.  At F/1.4 I'll have no DOF or any sharpness to speak of!

I have the 28mm IS and it's outstanding. The only thing it lacks that I need is a weather-sealing gasket. 

- A

I did not say they are bad lenses. Only the initial price scared buyers target. Strongly urge that Canon makes a 50mm F1.4 IS. But if it costs $ 900 I'll wait, and wait, and wait ... :-[ And if you come a Canon 50mm F1.8 IS which costs $ 600 I'll be disappointed. :(

brad-man

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
Yes. Once again, it's all about the money. The three IS primes are indeed fine lenses. But they are/were overpriced for anyone who does not have a definite need for a lens with those characteristics. Does that sound a little like the saga of the EOS M? For casual amature photographers they are simply too expensive. For most enthusiasts and pros, they are too slow (again, for the money). Personally, I would love to have the 24 and the 35 for the sake of convenience, but I have those ranges competently covered. If these new prices are indeed "permanent", then when a sale/rebates come around, or they start showing up as refurbs, I will take another look. I suspect I'm not alone here...

ahsanford

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
Yes. Once again, it's all about the money. The three IS primes are indeed fine lenses. But they are/were overpriced for anyone who does not have a definite need for a lens with those characteristics. Does that sound a little like the saga of the EOS M? For casual amature photographers they are simply too expensive. For most enthusiasts and pros, they are too slow (again, for the money). Personally, I would love to have the 24 and the 35 for the sake of convenience, but I have those ranges competently covered. If these new prices are indeed "permanent", then when a sale/rebates come around, or they start showing up as refurbs, I will take another look. I suspect I'm not alone here...

Have to disagree.  These lenses are for FF users -- so you can't compare them to EF-S primes (there is only that one macro EF-S prime, after all).  Further, they are not 'way more pricey than the versions they are replacing', they are 'way cheaper than the corresponding L versions'.

For the extra money for the 24L ($1749) and 35L ($1479) -- both great lenses -- you get that extra bit of build quality and two stops... of relatively soft performance.  And in my hands, I never shoot wider than F/2 at those lengths, so half that upside is unnecessary with my 28mm.  I'll take the 3-4 stops of IS over one faster stop (F/2, again, just what I do) any day.

I'm not saying that they are the best lenses on the market, but for the apertures I shoot, they are just as sharp as the L glass at less than half the price.  That's a great value proposition to me.

I would expect the rumored 50 F/1.8 IS to similarly start high (guess $800) and walk down to $600 after a year.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »