October 01, 2014, 08:43:12 PM

Author Topic: Banning ankorwatt  (Read 11603 times)

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
Re: Banning ankorwatt
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

I'm not going to comment pro or con about the member in a public forum.

agreed, the topic stay fixed on the love of imaging and the shared enthusiasm for Canon products.  as for the mods here, i think that they made the hard decision for the best of the community to stay on task.  overall, a bad situation that i have seen in other forums on various topics handled with careful thought and protocol here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
I've been away for a while due to moving continents and haven't followed much of the action here lately. It's sad that it has to come to this for any member. I've had some contact with Mikael outside of the forum (both of us being Swedish) and he is gentle person, but very focused and passionate. I hope it's a lesson to all of us to try to stick to the subject and be as polite as we can.

J

This is interesting and significant. One of the problems with internet forums is that it is too easy to attack someone without knowing anything about them and without having to face the person.

I was frustrated by the pointless and redundant arguing that characterized at least one thread recently. But, it does take at least two people to argue. I do feel some sense of injustice because it was quite clear that some individuals took great delight in baiting him and it appears they are walking away with no consequences to their actions. I never liked bullies in school and I don't like them on the internet.

My fear is that these same individuals will simply move on to another victim who feels passionately about an issue. Obviously, I don't know if the moderators issued any warnings to those who taunted him, but I suspect that since at least one would be classified as a "teacher's pet" I doubt if he will receive even a slap on the hand.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »
I am for freedom of expression  (of course, bullying and abuse should not be tolerated). I avoid reading most rabid and useless posts so can't say if  this person did that. If this person is banned just for being persistent opinionated PITA$$, then ignoring his posts is a better solution.  You can't clap with one hand. So someone else also has to be responsible here. Also, I don't think usefulness should be criterion for being on forums.  This is not some kind of classroom where every discussion have to be useful. Regardless, most discussions on all forums have always been pointless or tend to become pointless. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Its fun to watch posts like 'I bought camera XXX and its much better than 1DX' or 'my camera sucks, why cant it have all the features of 1DX at $700 price tag'.
Once in a while I do get useful information and tips for good deals. That's pretty much what blogging is about everywhere. I have people reply to me in an insulting way here, I just don't reply back. If I see a thread is pointless and is not even fun, I don't even read it. 

A practical suggestion to moderators to avoid trolls taking over: Make a separate category for opinions out of gear talk and keep it at the bottom of page. Keep and enforce the gear talk specifically for advice/discussion on practical and useable functions of gear (like menu, buttons, uses, tips, tricks etc). Move all the abstract and hypothetical B%&%@*% aka opinions ('like zooms are better than prime' or vice-verse, 'EOS M is the best camera ever', 'why is 35/50 mm a standard FL, why not 30/40' etc.) to 'gear opinion' category and don't show opinion category posts on forum discussion list on home page. This could be the best of both......

This is just my opinion.
In the end, the people running the show/forum have (should have) right to decide what kind of platform they want to provide. If you don,t like it........
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:38:22 PM by comsense »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
In the end, the people running the show/forum have (should have) right to decide what kind of platform they want to provide. If you don,t like it........

well thats really it.  Craig is running a business, not a social justice advocacy program. This means success is measured, among other things, by the revenue stream generated by such things as google adsense for example.  It means Craig sets the rules and operates the site in a way that meets his business/personal/whatever goals.  canonrumors.com has a marketable product -- exposure to an audience of photographers who buy stuff.  Advertizers pay money for exposure on the site because its their business to expose their products to an audience they believe is attractive.  Advertizers won't pay money for exposure on a site that doesn't have an attractive potential customer base.  If craig does not manage the forum in a way that provides that attractive audience for his advertizers,  he looses money.

based on the ads that I see, the way they are presented, and from what little I know of google adsense and the various resources out there that analize site traffic and estimate worth, I'd say Craig  you must have a attractive revenue stream that has taken you 6 years or so to develop.   good for you and hurray for capitalism. 

Managing the forum is simply carying out the interests of the site, a task which I imagine is not always peaches and cream. 

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

well thats really it.  Craig is running a business, not a social justice advocacy program. This means success is measured, among other things, by the revenue stream generated by such things as google adsense for example.  It means Craig sets the rules and operates the site in a way that meets his business/personal/whatever goals.  canonrumors.com has a marketable product -- exposure to an audience of photographers who buy stuff.  Advertizers pay money for exposure on the site because its their business to expose their products to an audience they believe is attractive.  Advertizers won't pay money for exposure on a site that doesn't have an attractive potential customer base.  If craig does not manage the forum in a way that provides that attractive audience for his advertizers,  he looses money.

based on the ads that I see, the way they are presented, and from what little I know of google adsense and the various resources out there that analize site traffic and estimate worth, I'd say Craig  you must have a attractive revenue stream that has taken you 6 years or so to develop.   good for you and hurray for capitalism. 

Managing the forum is simply carying out the interests of the site, a task which I imagine is not always peaches and cream.

Actually, it's simpler than that all around.  This site was never started as a revenue stream, and I believe self supporting (financially) is the only goal of that sort.  This site exists because of a personal interest of Craig's, and the desire to provide a community for people that share that interest.

And you're over-thinking the culling of undesirables to cultivate a desirable marketing base.  No profanity, no personal attacks (and obviously no spam).  That's really where it begins and ends.  Everyone that can play by those very simple rules is welcome and wanted.  All skill levels, all experience levels, etc.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Tried searching in google his name Mikael Risedal and I've found the same type of posts from him.  Funny that the arguments are the same here in CR.  :D
If you miss him here, he is still on DP Review, you can visit him over there.
Ever heard of sarcasm?

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »
The job of a troll is to wind people up and not necessarily make rude comments themselves, but to provoke them.

Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
The job of a troll is to wind people up and not necessarily make rude comments themselves, but to provoke them.

That is exactly what happened to him - he was provoked.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
so you're saying ankorwatt is/was openly "mickael", and now he's gone?

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
so you're saying ankorwatt is/was openly "mickael", and now he's gone?

No/Yes/Sort of.

He was originally openly "Michael", but was banned.

In a second coming he became "Ankor Wat", which was clandestinely, "Michael", in disguise, but later became more openly "Michael", but was banned.

And now he's gone.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »

That is far, far from the truth.

I followed CR for a number of years before joining. One of the main reasons that I joined was because of the high standard and competence in the discussions, technical knowledge and images posted.

Within minutes of me posting my first post, a comment on the image quality of the then new 5D Mkiii compared with the D800 I got a violent, almost hysterical reply from a member calling himself Mikael Risdal. Subsiquently any posts I have made vaighly to do with Canon 'IQ' have been attacked in this way.

To 'provoke' this guy you just had to post anything positive about Canon.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »

I followed CR for a number of years before joining. One of the main reasons that I joined was because of the high standard and competence in the discussions, technical knowledge and images posted.

Within minutes of me posting my first post, a comment on the image quality of the then new 5D Mkiii compared with the D800 I got a violent, almost hysterical reply from a member calling himself Mikael Risdal. Subsiquently any posts I have made vaighly to do with Canon 'IQ' have been attacked in this way.

+1 ... too many of his first replies to posters were on the lines of - YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SENSORS WORKYOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT A TONE CURVE. It's OK for someone to have a different opinion, but it is totally another matter if you try to ram it down someone throat.

Just look at this thread on sensors started by unfocused ... http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16773.0 ... it remained sane throughout without anyone throwing their toys out of the pram! I don't remember a single recent thread on Canon sensors that has not denigrated into mindless drivel and YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SENSORS WORK BS.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »

You did not explain why it was "far, far from the truth"; in fact, you did not say anything about the thread in question.

The HTP stuff was brought up by somebody else with the only purpose to provoke him. Apparently, that was some old thread before I joined, beaten to death as usual. It was mentioned just to tell him how stubborn and incompetent he was. It was a personal attack, to which he responded.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »
on a lighter  note.... before we stir up too much additional dust ...
Actually, it's simpler than that all around.  This site was never started as a revenue stream, and I believe self supporting (financially) is the only goal of that sort.  This site exists because of a personal interest of Craig's, and the desire to provide a community for people that share that interest.

And you're over-thinking the culling of undesirables to cultivate a desirable marketing base.  No profanity, no personal attacks (and obviously no spam).  That's really where it begins and ends.  Everyone that can play by those very simple rules is welcome and wanted.  All skill levels, all experience levels, etc.

fantastic!  thanks for sharing this;  and now I enjoy CR even more.

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
The issue with Trolls, in general, is that they have no real interest in sharing their [sometimes considerable] expertise, or in helping others with technical issues, or even in enjoying someone's witty comment. They are all about seizing any opportunity to aggressively demand personal attention and acknowledgement, regardless of the OP's questions or concerns.
I have seen so many members graciously take time to answer queries, and encourage others, and that is what makes this forum a treasure worth protecting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »