September 23, 2014, 08:42:52 PM

Author Topic: is it a right time to buy EOS ?  (Read 3488 times)

ydmaster

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
is it a right time to buy EOS ?
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »
so many rumors going around and some say replacement announcements are bound any day.

If I am buying I would be buying 1dx or 5d3, but I don't really know if it's a right time.

I currently using 1ds3 which I use for wildlife but rarely for studio.

What do you guys think?

Should I use swing away with 1dx and forget about the replacements?

Another thing bothering me with 1dx is megapixels. I don't really care if it goes up but went down?? I really don't get it. Makes me feel this was all in for sports events with 12 FPS feature which really isn't necessary.

Does 1Dx work well for wildlife?

canon rumors FORUM

is it a right time to buy EOS ?
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: is it a right time to buy EOS ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:31:19 AM »
so many rumors going around and some say replacement announcements are bound any day.

It's tech.  There's always something better and faster coming any day.

Another thing bothering me with 1dx is megapixels. I don't really care if it goes up but went down?? I really don't get it. Makes me feel this was all in for sports events with 12 FPS feature which really isn't necessary.

Depends on your output - how many MP do you need? 

Yes, the 1D X is awesome for wildlife.  I'd take it over the 1DsIII, in a heartbeat.  MP went down, high ISO performance went up.  Way up.  The 12 fps isn't just for sports - wildlife moves...fast.  Having a high frame rate increases the chances you'll get the frame you want, ideal wing position for a bird, front but not rear feet off the ground for a running cheetah, etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ydmaster

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »
Thank you for the reply anatomist

I better make up my mind before I get any late.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »
I am sticking with my 1Ds MkIII's, whilst there are many features I'd like on the 1Dx there isn't enough to sway me yet. However when the 1Dx MkII comes out if it has 22-25mp I will be very excited.

Things I really like on the 1Dx over the 1Ds MkIII, better AF and AF options, better control layout (second joystick and dof buttons etc), RT flash functionality, iso capabilities. Things that make me not see it as enough to make me buy them, my AF is very good and I get a very acceptable hit rate, I have lived without the additional controls so far, my RT flashes work pretty well with pre 2012 cameras, I grew up with Velvia 50 exposed at 40 so high iso is not a real priority.

Having said that people demand more capabilities now and there is no doubt the RT flash and iso would add several dimensions to my photography and if I did get a 1Dx it would be because of those two reasons, not IQ or frame rate.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
I can't help but get the feeling a landscape oriented 1D is in the works. Of course, if the medium format rumors are true then that would be the answer.
-100% RAW-

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »
I can't help but get the feeling a landscape oriented 1D is in the works. Of course, if the medium format rumors are true then that would be the answer.

I have zero interest in a MF Canon and very little interest in a >25mp 1 series, for my uses a 25Mp 1Dx MkII would be the perfect camera, I certainly don't want less mp than I have, I regularly print with my smallest size being 16" x 24"  and my largest standard print at 24" x 36" but I have no desire for excessively higher mp and the  processing and storage that their regular use requires. I am a generalist and mid 20's suits me personally absolutely fine.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »

Short answer, Yes.

Longer answer, if your Happy with the 1D3s, stick to it and wait, may be a while, I dont see a big MP Canon untill mid to late 2014, but I've been wrong before.

What I do know, is my 1Ds MK III sits in a cupboard, along side it sits my 5DMKII (and also my A1 & AE1) & more recently my 1DMK IV, my 5DMKIII is used now only for Underwater Photography, and my 2 1Dx Bodies are being generally worn out, I haven't owned a better Camera yet, to me it's that good.

And the reason I don't sell off old Cameras is because I get so many wonderful experiences from them it would seem like selling my Kids, although sometimes I do feel like putting my Kids in the cupboard next to the Old Camera Bodies.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:42:19 AM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »

7Dneilan

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
Hi,

For whatever help it is, I know for a fact that this gentleman shoots with a 1DX - http://grguy.smugmug.com

Good luck!
7D, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 580EX II

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:49:46 AM »
you just can't find a better body on the market than the 1Dx, especially for wildlife...

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:22:54 AM »
Right time to buy EOS? If you were in the 7D part of the market then there may be some valid reasons to hold off until the often-mentioned/never-sighted 7DII arrives in stores.

But as you're in the 1DX 5D3 end of the market, you can be sure neither of these bodies are going to be updated anytime in the next couple of years or even further.

The 1DX is almost certainly the finest wildlife camera on the planet, provided you've got the right glass bolted on. If you like your 1Ds3, you'll be gobsmacked by the 1DX. Framerate, buffer depth, awesome AF and to-die-for files are the differences you will see.

1DX? Go for it.

-PW

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

I have zero interest in a MF Canon and very little interest in a >25mp 1 series, for my uses a 25Mp 1Dx MkII would be the perfect camera, I certainly don't want less mp than I have, I regularly print with my smallest size being 16" x 24"  and my largest standard print at 24" x 36" but I have no desire for excessively higher mp and the  processing and storage that their regular use requires. I am a generalist and mid 20's suits me personally absolutely fine.

Right, you have no interest in more detailed pictures, which may be understandable given how good things are right now. I agree that moving to high megapixel sensors won't be a gamechanger IQ wise, but it will be better. At the very least you might appreciate the benefits after downsampling.
Medium format does change the game though, and the resolution will definitely be warranted there.
-100% RAW-

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »

Right, you have no interest in more detailed pictures, which may be understandable given how good things are right now. I agree that moving to high megapixel sensors won't be a gamechanger IQ wise, but it will be better. At the very least you might appreciate the benefits after downsampling.
Medium format does change the game though, and the resolution will definitely be warranted there.

I never said there isn't a market for high MP 135 format cameras, and there certainly is for MF digital, but I am not in those markets. I still, occasionally, shoot 6x9 film, but whilst the end results are undoubtedly "better" the time, hassle, effort and expense are, in my market, not worth it.

It isn't that I would object to more detail, but it is a never ending cycle that begins at getting a new body, you then need the newest MkII lenses, you need adequate support (bigger tripod sturdier head), you need bigger cards, you need faster computers, hard drives etc etc (people that say storage is cheap are underestimating all the other incidentals) ultimately you end up changing almost everything you have for a percent or two of additional detail, add in the extra time and care needed at capture, and the additional processing time for the bigger files and something has to give. I have made the business decision that I, and my customers, are not in that market, neither of us will benefit from "more".

Others are in that market and will embrace the new cameras.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »

I never said there isn't a market for high MP 135 format cameras, and there certainly is for MF digital, but I am not in those markets. I still, occasionally, shoot 6x9 film, but whilst the end results are undoubtedly "better" the time, hassle, effort and expense are, in my market, not worth it.

It isn't that I would object to more detail, but it is a never ending cycle that begins at getting a new body, you then need the newest MkII lenses, you need adequate support (bigger tripod sturdier head), you need bigger cards, you need faster computers, hard drives etc etc (people that say storage is cheap are underestimating all the other incidentals) ultimately you end up changing almost everything you have for a percent or two of additional detail, add in the extra time and care needed at capture, and the additional processing time for the bigger files and something has to give. I have made the business decision that I, and my customers, are not in that market, neither of us will benefit from "more".

Others are in that market and will embrace the new cameras.

So it's only a matter of time.
Finding sharp glass isn't hard (try the Pancake), you should already be using a good tripod (it makes a big difference regardless of what you have on it), and all your computer components are going to die someday (making the upgrade inevitable).
I'm pretty sure a tripod isn't absolutely necessary though, a fast enough shutter speed should do the trick, and the situation would only be worse on current crop cameras anyway.
After enough time passes the biggest barrier to taking advantage of higher resolutions will probably just be getting the body.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »
What is your specific need, that the megapixel count of 1Dx does not meet?
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »

If I am buying I would be buying 1dx or 5d3, but I don't really know if it's a right time.

I currently using 1ds3 which I use for wildlife but rarely for studio.

What do you guys think?

Should I use swing away with 1dx and forget about the replacements?

Dear Ydmaster.
You already have a great Camera which can do the best job for you. If I were you, I will use my old Camera and Spend Money on the Lenses that you do not have yet , The Lenses that you want to do some special photos.
Yes, I will wait for Summer 2014 after the  Big Show/ Exhibition  in Las Vegas---That All New and improve DSLR / EOS come in the market.
Sorry, That Just my Idea. Good lick to your new Cameras, or New Lenses.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »