July 23, 2014, 10:27:37 PM

Author Topic: Long telephoto prime lens for landscapes?  (Read 4864 times)

pulseimages

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Long telephoto prime lens for landscapes?
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:03 AM »
I've been eyeing the Canon 400mm f5.6 L lens for a little while now. I love the sharpness of the lens and that it's a bargain for it's range.

Would this lens make for an interesting landscape lens or it mainly for birds and sports?

canon rumors FORUM

Long telephoto prime lens for landscapes?
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:03 AM »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
Re: Long telephoto prime lens for landscapes?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
I've been eyeing the Canon 400mm f5.6 L lens for a little while now. I love the sharpness of the lens and that it's a bargain for it's range.

Would this lens make for an interesting landscape lens or it mainly for birds and sports?

A lot of people use deep telephoto's for landscapes; I however, am not one of them...but don't let my style dissuade you.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »

A lot of people use deep telephoto's for landscapes; I however, am not one of them...but don't let my style dissuade you.
For me, wider angle lenses seem to be the choice for landscapes, but every now and then a long lens is usefull, things like trees and grasses on the other side of a pond, or other places not easily accessable.... so my comment is yes, it is usefull, depending on what you wish to shoot.
The best camera is the one in your hands

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

For me, wider angle lenses seem to be the choice for landscapes, but every now and then a long lens is usefull, things like trees and grasses on the other side of a pond, or other places not easily accessable.... so my comment is yes, it is usefull, depending on what you wish to shoot.
I have used my 100-400L @400mm as a "landscape" lens when I was shooting some of the features at the Grand Canyon. So yes. But I mostly use it for birding...

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Depending on your style and your interests this could well be very good lens for landscapes as well as for wildlife and birds.   I often use my 70-300L for landscape work.
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
I often use my 70-300L for landscape work.

Same here.  Using a telephoto lens for compression can result in intersting landscape photos, as can subject isolation.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
You don't say on which body you would use the 400mm for landscapes.  On a 1.6 crop body you might find that long a focal length quite limiting.  I know I would.

Having said that, I've always liked using medium telephotos for landscapes and my 70-200 gets a lot more use than my wide angle lenses on my 1D Mark IV and my 5D Mark III.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:39:36 AM by Harv »
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »

Yes, Just In my Idea = Some time We can not  walk and get close to the point of views  that we love to get the recorded photos, and I have 100-400mm Lens with me , on another camera, and I  just Recorded them on 400 mm. range.
Yes, In my Main Camera, I use directed  function as Wide angle Lens from Canon TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II ( Not T & S Function) to get the Best Scenic Views as the Over all Sharp from corner to corner.
Enjoy the photos in Greece by 400 mm Lens
Surapon
Yes, I have EF 600 mm too, But I never carry this Monster Lens on Airplane, Because the Length of this Lens and Some time not fit on the Small Airplane.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »
IMHO the 400 f/5.6 is a bit long for landscapes.  Unless your are at least 100 yards/meters away, you'll need to use f/16 to get barely usable DOF.  You could focus stack, I suppose.  With distant landscapes you end up with haze and other atmospheric issues, thought,

I have taken a few decent landscape shots with my 400 f/5.6, but I find the 200mm focal length of my 70-200 much better for telephoto landscapes.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
It can be difficult to use a long telephoto for landscapes.  The issues can sometimes be overcome.
1.  Haze in the air shows up easily, so you must time your shots to minimize it, such as early mornings.

2.  Heated air between you and the distant subject becomes more of a issue, once again, the solution is cold days or early mornings.

3.  Just the amount of air between you and the subject means that the resolution is going to suffer, so don't expect high resolution.

In some cases. its the only option, but I would not want to try it on a regular basis.

Here is one image of the Alki Point Lighthouse in West Seattle taken from a moving tour boat at 235mm with my 7D and 100-400mm L  on a cold and hazy day. I boosted the blues in pp perhaps too much because of all the gray.

I also tried to get a shot of Mt Rainier, but the hade overwhelmed it.  Even trying to bring it out in PP didn't reveal much.  Once again, the boosted blues to help the gray sky just colored the haze blue.  The Mt Rainier image was at 300mm.

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
It can be difficult to use a long telephoto for landscapes.  The issues can sometimes be overcome.
1.  Haze in the air shows up easily, so you must time your shots to minimize it, such as early mornings.

2.  Heated air between you and the distant subject becomes more of a issue, once again, the solution is cold days or early mornings.

3.  Just the amount of air between you and the subject means that the resolution is going to suffer, so don't expect high resolution.

In some cases. its the only option, but I would not want to try it on a regular basis.

Here is one image of the Alki Point Lighthouse in West Seattle taken from a moving tour boat at 235mm with my 7D and 100-400mm L  on a cold and hazy day. I boosted the blues in pp perhaps too much because of all the gray.

I also tried to get a shot of Mt Rainier, but the hade overwhelmed it.  Even trying to bring it out in PP didn't reveal much.  Once again, the boosted blues to help the gray sky just colored the haze blue.  The Mt Rainier image was at 300mm.

The Mt Rainier shot could benefit from the "Lumosity Blend" technique Kieth goes over at NL to make the mountain stand out without boosting the sky or overly altering the color.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/tutorial_pages/sfx-colour.html

If you don't mind me posting an edit of your image I can show an example.

7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Quote from: surapon link=topic=16777.msg309871#msg309871

Yes, Just In my Idea = Some time We can not  walk and get close to the point of views  that we love to get the recorded photos, and I have 100-400mm Lens with me , on another camera, and I  just Recorded them on 400 mm. range.
Yes, In my Main Camera, I use directed  function as Wide angle Lens from Canon TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II ( Not T & S Function) to get the Best Scenic Views as the Over all Sharp from corner to corner.
Surapon

What an amazing sight to see that community atop such an unscaleable rock ! It makes you wonder how on earth they built up there. Definitely useful to have the telephoto for this kind of shot.

The picture of Santorini shows the bay which now covers the volcano that was the centre of the island. Historians recon it was this cataclysmic eruption that led to the end of the Minoan civilisation on Crete. Santorini is also top tip for the legend of Atlantis.

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

Dear Mr. MT Spokane.
I love your Beautiful Point of views/ Photos. Thank you sir for share with us plus " How to " from your photography skill.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
I think 400mm is gonna be a little long for most landscape work. I often use a telephoto to stitch together some panoramas, but I do that with my 85mm or 200mm lens. I think most would probably work in the 70-200 range for such a thing. 400mm requires you to be really far from a subject, and as Mt Spokane pointed out, the distance limits you just as much as framing.

This is 4-5 vertical photos at 200mm stitched together

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:52:18 PM by preppyak »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
Quote from: surapon link=topic=16777.msg309871#msg309871

Surapon

What an amazing sight to see that community atop such an unscaleable rock ! It makes you wonder how on earth they built up there. Definitely useful to have the telephoto for this kind of shot.

The picture of Santorini shows the bay which now covers the volcano that was the centre of the island. Historians recon it was this cataclysmic eruption that led to the end of the Minoan civilisation on Crete. Santorini is also top tip for the legend of Atlantis.

Dear Sir, Mr. Sporgon.
Yes, That is " Meteora Monestaries" on top of Limestone rock" Tower " That extend  nearly 900 feet in to the air. Over 600 years ago  at Meteora----Byzantine monks---yes, Great Red wine  for all monks too.
Yes, Sir, Santorini is one of the best scenery views( for Photographers like us) in the world,  and Plus the great "Ouzo" Greece Liquors too---
Thanks for your comments.
Surapon
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:12:28 PM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »