September 23, 2014, 12:38:27 AM

Author Topic: Canon vs Nikon at DxOMark  (Read 3919 times)

JohanCruyff

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon vs Nikon at DxOMark
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

Means this that sigma makes the lenses better for canon ... ?

A bit off-topic.
Tamron & Sigma lenses are expected to perform better on Canon than on Nikon mount, in my opinion.

We have to consider that Nikon crop factor is 1.5, while Canon's one is 1.6 and, therefore, an APS-C lens optically developed in order to get both mounts should have (slightly) less vignetting (and better transmission, maybe?).

(1.6^2)/(1.5^2)=1.137.
If the Sigma lens fits the Nikon mount, it has 13.7% more glass than strictly needed for a Canon APS-C mount.
To put it in other words: full frame lenses produce low vignetting on APS-C bodies, and a Sigma "Nikon Compatible" APS-C lens is slightly more "full-framish" than a Canon APS-C lens.

Nevertheless,
I will not be surprised if similar results emerge from DXOMark tests on Full frame Nikon vs. Canon bodies with Sigma / Tamron lenses. ;D   ::)

Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »
You misunderstood the comparison. Let me explain
The lens comparison was about sharpness which the 70D should be better due to higher resolution.

But that right there is the very problem. That isn't a lens test...it's a sensor test. :P A lens test should be sensor agnostic. It should tell you about the lens, not the sensor that was used with it.

The same lens mount on different body will produce different sharpness due to whatever megapixel the body has. When you test a lens, you use a controlled light setting where dr, iso is not the factor, the 70D edge out in sharpness due to higher megapixels. You cannot test the lens without a sensor in this setting

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
If you look at DPR and SLRgear.com, those tests are good. They give sharpness from all points across the frame in all apertures and zoom levels. Trying to describe all that with a single number is really a horrible idea.
-100% RAW-

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
A bit off-topic.
Tamron & Sigma lenses are expected to perform better on Canon than on Nikon mount, in my opinion.

We have to consider that Nikon crop factor is 1.5, while Canon's one is 1.6 and, therefore, an APS-C lens optically developed in order to get both mounts should have (slightly) less vignetting (and better transmission, maybe?).

For this reason, third party lenses would perform better on Nikon crop bodies, not Canon.  The 1.5 crop sensor are like mini-FF compared to Canon, which means a bit less enlargement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »