October 25, 2014, 03:30:51 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth  (Read 25436 times)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »
If it's $10 for life, I might jump on it even I already have LR4 and CS6.

But if it's $10 for e.g. 12 months, and then some ridiculous amount, no way.

So can someone confirm how long they promise the $10?

the adobe blog states that this isn't an introductory price:
http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

Adobe also said they had no plans to eliminate purchases of their Creative Suite.  Look how long that lasted.  At this point, I trust Adobe as far as I can throw their software.

Ah...right. I think I misunderstood your question. Yeah -- if you have Photoshop, I can see how Lightroom might not seem that great. I don't have any experience comparing the two, so I'm not much help there. Still, there seem to be enough glowing reviews about Lightroom 5 from Photoshop users that perhaps it's worth downloading the trial to see how it's changed since you last tried it.

I use them for different things.  Photoshop is a great tool for editing a single image.  Lightroom is a great tool for editing a lot of images.

Unlike many of you, I don't shoot professionally; the photos I take are mainly for my own enjoyment, because I want to have a picture of something (though I also post many of them for others to enjoy).  As a result, I have only a single Lightroom library that contains essentially every photo I've ever taken with a digital camera.  With LR, I can quickly (in no more than a minute or so) find any picture in my library.  This beats the heck out of using Photoshop.

I also find LR more convenient for editing photos because I often need to apply a consistent set of fixes to a bunch of photos in rapid succession, then tweak those settings to suit.  I find that workflow to be straightforward in LR—much more so than in Camera Raw.

I use Photoshop to actually do corrections (on rare occasions) or (more commonly) to create book covers and other designs that incorporate images along with other content.  I use Camera Raw when importing those images into Photoshop.

At least in my mind, the two tools have fairly different purposes and do different things well.  YMMV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
So excited, I get to basically pay at least $10 a month to adobe for the rest of my life. No thanks...

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
I'm confused. Can anyone confirm that there still is a boxed, non-cloud photoshop version available? I thought not. Which to me would be the end of using them. I don't do subscription software. Period. Even if they offered it for a buck I wouldn't want it. I want it installed and then not change it until I see fit (which can be years after I buy it).

You can still buy CS6, at least for now.  Adobe has announced that they are not going to add new features to it, however, so CS6 is the end of the line for the purchased versions.  And I'm in complete agreement with you; I'm moving off of Photoshop for new projects going forward.  As far as I'm concerned, Adobe effectively end-of-lifed their flagship product.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

I'd recommend rendering the previews while importing the images into lightroom.

Yeah but what if you need the images right away. Do you have time to sit there for it injest and render previews for ages when the paper is going to press in 40 minutes? And even when there is nothing like that going on, and at this moment for me there isn't, I don't like to have sit there and have injection of images of CF cards take ages.

Are they capable of displaying the changes you applied to the images with lightroom?

No, but I personally don't really care a whit about that when I am trying to quick sort. I want to be able to instantly sort and have to sit around for ages while it develops 800 or even 4000 photos. I don't need to see a semi-final potential rendering to be able to do initial sorting and rating. And once images are fully processed or processed in alternate ways, and not just in some intermediate potential rendering which I wouldn't be able to use for such comparisons anyway, you can certainly use them to display those.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop.

I tried it a few years ago and hated its file management system. Maybe I'm just used to Bridge, but it seems to fit my needs better.

Even Adobe admits Lightroom doesn't do anything that can't be done in Camera Raw. If you use smart objects, they open in Camera Raw and not Lightroom, so you end up using Camera Raw for any smart object edits anyway.

I'm told it has some advantages for batch processing that makes it easier if you are trying to manage large collections, but for a hobbyist, I just don't get it.

What am I missing?

Whoever told you that at Adobe is smoking something.   Yes, many of the ACR tools replicate the tools in the LR Develop module.  But being able to adjust white balance, recover highlights, adjust contrast, etc, is only a small part of the LR package. 

I don't know how anyone doesn't think file management in LR isn't superior than just piling on PSD after PSD file in PS.  With Virtual Copy, I can create an unlimited number of versions of a photo - different sizes, different processing, etc, without creating any additional files in the system.  I could create 100 different versions of one photo and still have only one raw file on the system.  The only time I get a new file is when I chose to export one of those versions out to some other format like JPG.

Unlimited and eternal editing history on any image, without having to ever hit "Save".  Edit history in Photoshop has a limited number of steps it can retain, and only during the time that photo is open in PS.  I can pile up literally hundreds of edits on a single photo in LR, go away for a years, come back to that photo and see every editing step I ever took, and can roll the image forward and backward to any previous step.  Let's say that 50 steps ago I converted the image to B&W.  But now I want a color version.  I can roll the image back 50 steps to the last step it was in color, create virtual copy at that point to get a second copy in color, then roll the original forward back to the black and white version.  Now I have two independent copies of the same photo that I can process separately.

Collections - these are groupings of photos that span any location on the file system.  So I have a "Grandkids" collection.  Every photo I take of the my grandkids I add to that LR collection, but they don't physically move from whereever they are on the disc file system.

Slice and dice all my photos by any criteria I want.  I want to find every shot taken with my 5DIII with a 70-200 2.8L at ISO 3200 and shutter speed of 1/60?  No problem.  I've zipped through 10,000 or more photos applying search criteria like that and had them all up in the grid view in a matter of a few seconds.

Rate every photo numericall (1-5), with a color rating (Green, Red, Blue, Etc), a "Pick" flag, a "Reject" flag, self-selected key words, and retrieve every photo at any level of my LR catalog hirearchy by those attributes.

Burn entire collections directly to CD at any size and resolution I want without having to first dump a bunch of JPGs to disc, further cluttering up my file system.

Export photos as JPG images directly to email attachments without having first dump a bunch of JPGs to disc and then manually attach to email.  Further avoids cluttering up the file system with more files.

Export and manage whole catalogs for archive off-line but easily reopen and access those catalogs.  My current LR catalog has the current year plus the previous two full years of images, organized at the top by year (2011, 2012, 2013).  When the new year rolls over, I export the oldest year in to it's own LR catalog and store on an external harddrive, and remove that year from my current working catalog.  Keeps my image volume manageable.  But if I need to get something from an earlier catalog.  It's less than a 2 minute operation to close my current catalog and open the archived one to find and work with what I'm looking for.

I could go on and on.  IMHO, anyone who thinks LR doesn't bring significant added value to their workflow of PS either doesn't have enough images to make it worth their while, or isn't using LR to maximum effect.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
It doesn't matter if you shoot raw + jpg, because the raw has to be processed anyway.

No it doesn't if you just want to scan through quickly and sort. Why do you need to waste time doing a quick RAW develop when you have full size jpgs there already to zip through? And for any recent camera even when you shoot RAW only (which is mostly what I do these days), the RAW has a full size embedded jpg to use for quick sorting, so again why waste time making some crummy test renders of every single RAW file??

With other programs I can INSTANTLY zip through hundreds of shots at full-res. And I don't waste a TON of disc space on storing all sorts of quick full size RAW renders for many files I will never bother with anyway and even for the ones I do bother with I will process much more carefully.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
I don't know how anyone doesn't think file management in LR isn't superior than just piling on PSD after PSD file in PS.  With Virtual Copy, I can create an unlimited number of versions of a photo - different sizes, different processing, etc, without creating any additional files in the system.  I could create 100 different versions of one photo and still have only one raw file on the system.  The only time I get a new file is when I chose to export one of those versions out to some other format like JPG.

Unlimited and eternal editing history on any image, without having to ever hit "Save".  Edit history in Photoshop has a limited number of steps it can retain, and only during the time that photo is open in PS.  I can pile up literally hundreds of edits on a single photo in LR, go away for a years, come back to that photo and see every editing step I ever took, and can roll the image forward and backward to any previous step.  Let's say that 50 steps ago I converted the image to B&W.  But now I want a color version.  I can roll the image back 50 steps to the last step it was in color, create virtual copy at that point to get a second copy in color, then roll the original forward back to the black and white version.  Now I have two independent copies of the same photo that I can process separately.

This part does sound potentially interesting though. Although I'm not sure that LR has enough processing for my variations to not end up occurring in PS anyway though. I'd have to look into it in more detail again.

And you can save out variations at any point with PS, although each does take a ton of storage space, I guess the variations in LR each take barely any disk space at all then? That could be nice.

I just wonder if I'd have too many variation occurring post LR stage or not to make it matter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »

This part does sound potentially interesting though. Although I'm not sure that LR has enough processing for my variations to not end up occurring in PS anyway though. I'd have to look into it in more detail again.

And you can save out variations at any point with PS, although each does take a ton of storage space, I guess the variations in LR each take barely any disk space at all then? That could be nice.

I just wonder if I'd have too many variation occurring post LR stage or not to make it matter.

Actually I appreciate that insight. Since I bit on the $19.99/month Cloud offer for CS6 users, I can download Lightroom anytime. I may have to give it another look.

I admit that having grown comfortable with my workflow in Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop, I just didn't have the patience to tackle one more program and when I tried Lightroom a few years back I wasn't impressed. I'm also pathologically resistant to spending time organizing anything. I know it is irrational, but I would rather spend my time taking and editing photos than keeping things organized. Time inefficient I know, but at 60 I ain't gonna change.

(Edit): I do wonder though how things like the rating system and saving to disk, CD etc., differ from Bridge.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:26:46 PM by unfocused »
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

Actually I appreciate that insight. Since I bit on the $19.99/month Cloud offer for CS6 users, I can download Lightroom anytime. I may have to give it another look.

I admit that having grown comfortable with my workflow in Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop, I just didn't have the patience to tackle one more program and when I tried Lightroom a few years back I wasn't impressed. I'm also pathologically resistant to spending time organizing anything. I know it is irrational, but I would rather spend my time taking and editing photos than keeping things organized. Time inefficient I know, but at 60 I ain't gonna change.

All edits and other meta-information (tags, geo info, exif data, etc) are held in the Lightroom Catalog, which is basically just a SQLite database. Once you put information into a database like that, you can do a lot of powerful things.

Leaving all that aside, to answer the question of as many versions of a photo as you want while not taking up much storage space, that's absolutely correct. Depending on the amount of changes, it's a few KBytes. Definitely less than a MByte per virtual copy unless you are doing an insane number of corrections and localized changes and such.

For worrying about keeping your photos organized, Lightroom can actually help you with that immensely without taking more than a few moments on import. You just tell it what folder structure you want it to keep the raw files in, type in a few keywords describing what you are importing, and then anytime you want you can search on any of those keywords, or when you took photos. Or if you geo-tag even _where_ you took photos.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
Yeah but what if you need the images right away. Do you have time to sit there for it injest and render previews for ages when the paper is going to press in 40 minutes? And even when there is nothing like that going on, and at this moment for me there isn't, I don't like to have sit there and have injection of images of CF cards take ages.

With time constraints like that, I understand your point.
You don't have to "sit there" though, I guess.

I don't need to see a semi-final potential rendering to be able to do initial sorting and rating.

If they implemented something like this:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_capability_to_display_embedded_preview
you would not have to shoot raw+jpeg because you could use the embedded jpeg to do the sorting in let's say the library module. So for now, this remains unresolved =(

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

Whoever told you that at Adobe is smoking something.   Yes, many of the ACR tools replicate the tools in the LR Develop module.  But being able to adjust white balance, recover highlights, adjust contrast, etc, is only a small part of the LR package. 

Collections - these are groupings of photos that span any location on the file system.  So I have a "Grandkids" collection.  Every photo I take of the my grandkids I add to that LR collection, but they don't physically move from whereever they are on the disc file system.

Slice and dice all my photos by any criteria I want.  I want to find every shot taken with my 5DIII with a 70-200 2.8L at ISO 3200 and shutter speed of 1/60?  No problem.  I've zipped through 10,000 or more photos applying search criteria like that and had them all up in the grid view in a matter of a few seconds.

Rate every photo numericall (1-5), with a color rating (Green, Red, Blue, Etc), a "Pick" flag, a "Reject" flag, self-selected key words, and retrieve every photo at any level of my LR catalog hirearchy by those attributes.

Burn entire collections directly to CD at any size and resolution I want without having to first dump a bunch of JPGs to disc, further cluttering up my file system.

Export photos as JPG images directly to email attachments without having first dump a bunch of JPGs to disc and then manually attach to email.  Further avoids cluttering up the file system with more files.

Export and manage whole catalogs for archive off-line but easily reopen and access those catalogs.  My current LR catalog has the current year plus the previous two full years of images, organized at the top by year (2011, 2012, 2013).  When the new year rolls over, I export the oldest year in to it's own LR catalog and store on an external harddrive, and remove that year from my current working catalog.  Keeps my image volume manageable.  But if I need to get something from an earlier catalog.  It's less than a 2 minute operation to close my current catalog and open the archived one to find and work with what I'm looking for.

I could go on and on.  IMHO, anyone who thinks LR doesn't bring significant added value to their workflow of PS either doesn't have enough images to make it worth their while, or isn't using LR to maximum effect.

Great info gbchriste, been thinking of getting LR, the above is very compelling. Being able to roll back history and take virtual copies as you have described is incredible. That alone makes my mind up.

Two questions if you don't mind though before I download a trial.

Do all vers have this facility or is it only the latest?

Can you also roll back crop info?

Regards

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »

Great info gbchriste, been thinking of getting LR, the above is very compelling. Being able to roll back history and take virtual copies as you have described is incredible. That alone makes my mind up.

Two questions if you don't mind though before I download a trial.

Do all vers have this facility or is it only the latest?

Can you also roll back crop info?

Regards

I'd have to look back, but the last few versions definitely have that kind of exporting/editing.

For crop info, you can still re-crop from the original even if you've made 50 changes since the last crop. That way you don't have to roll back all of your changes, just using the crop tool and go in, or out, or change the aspect ratio. Whichever.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
FWIW:  I got this back from Adobe when trying to pin them down as to whether this was a temporary, introductory offer or not:

Adobe Photoshop wrote: "This current offer of $9.99 for existing customers ends Dec 31st. There may be other offers in the future. As of right now, there are no plans to have this package available after Dec 31st."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
I'm confused. Can anyone confirm that there still is a boxed, non-cloud photoshop version available? I thought not. Which to me would be the end of using them. I don't do subscription software. Period. Even if they offered it for a buck I wouldn't want it. I want it installed and then not change it until I see fit (which can be years after I buy it).

Still have CS5 and wouldn't even bother if not for my plan to switch from PC to Mac by the end of the year.

Bonus question: is there a way to buy CS5 for Mac still somewhere?

If not it's going to be a combination of LR3 (which I'm perfectly happy with) and Gimp or something.

First, there is no "cloud" version of the software. That's just a marketing phrase that some 20-something hipster at Adobe dreamed up because it sounded cool.

You download the software from the internet onto your machine and it stays there until your subscription ends, at which time they nuke it.

As far as boxed versions. I believe CS5 was the last boxed version available. CS 6 had to be downloaded from Adobe using a validation code. That said, however, once you have that code and your Adobe account, you are supposed to be able to access the download files indefinitely (so you can change machines, add to a second machine, etc.)

Honestly, that's actually a little more convenient when your hard drive crashes and you have to dig around looking for where you threw the disks and where the serial number is. I haven't checked, but I suspect that if you have a valid CS6 license, you can switch operating systems if you want, since it's a download rather than a disk.

I'm a little unclear as to how long CS6 is available for purchase (if it is still available). What I do know is that you can keep it on your system indefinitely, even if you add "Creative Cloud."
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

drummstikk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
$20 a month for Photoshop only was a complete non-starter for me. I have stretches where I use Photoshop for hours a day for weeks on end, but then I have extended periods where I hardly touch it.

The full Creative Cloud would pretty much be a waste for me since I'd probably use, at most, 3 of the apps.

But $10 for PS and Lightroom? Now I'm listening. I'm not currently and never have been a Lightroom user (aside from some demos and betas) but at this price I'd like to give the newest version another try. I've been working with Aperture since the first of the year, and am still on the fence about it. But even if I don't make LR a permanent part of my workflow, $10 bucks/mo. to always have the latest Photoshop on hand sounds pretty good to me.

I am raising an eyebrow at the CS3 requirement. It's not an issue for me personally since CS3 is the last upgrade I did, but given the pushback they've gotten, I'd think Adobe would want to eagerly embrace all comers to the subscription model, even if the latest version you have is from the last century.

Adobe is being very clear about the price being "not introductory." They go back on that at the risk of a heap of bad PR, but of course in life their are no guarantees. If the price goes up later, I'll re-evaluate. I disagree with what some others have said about this being a "trap" or you'll have no choice if/when Adobe raises prices. You ALWAYS have a choice, AS LONG AS you take steps to maintain your independence. Here, I'm thinking of using the "maximize compatibility" option when you save out Photoshop files, and saving your photo Raw files outside of a proprietary database. (Exporting edited Raws as .DNG is worth considering here, as I expect your Lightroom edits will be preserved if you open them in Adobe Camera Raw later.)

I don't trust Adobe any more or less than I trust Canon, Comcast, AT&T, Apple, or any other company whose products/services play a big part in my life. I've used an iPhone 4 for the last three years and it's showing it's age. My next phone may be the new iPhone that will almost certainly be announced next week, or it may be an Android. Sure, there would be some pain at abandoning a lot of iOS apps I've accumulated in recent years, but very few, if any, choices in life are made without some cost or consequence.

The substantive difference between dropping 150-700+ dollars all at once to "own" software (yes, "own" with air quotes -- read your EULA) or paying a relatively painless $10/month to "rent" frankly eludes me. When this offer goes live, I'm very likely to give it a try. Subscription software seems like the wave of the future to me, especially for "pro" apps like those from Adobe.

Down the line, will any of us really miss that file cabinet drawer full of boxes and disks for increasingly obsolete software? I know I won't.
"Focused. Or focused not. There is no 'almost.'"

--Yoda (paraphrase)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »