July 28, 2014, 02:58:01 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth  (Read 22090 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
*UPDATE*
The catch is you must own a copy of Photoshop CS3 or higher to qualify for the limited time pricing of $9.99 per month (sign-up before December 31, 2013). They lost me at that requirement, had they not required CS3, I would have signed up as soon as I was able to. This still may be great for customers that have chosen not to upgrade from previous versions of PhotoShop.

Read the Adobe blog for more

Into the cloud?
Adobe just announced Photoshop and Lightroom for $9.99/mth. If you don’t want to lay out the cost of the software in one lump sum, this may be for you.

I personally have no interest in laying out what Photoshop costs up front, however I may take them up on this new offering once I read the fine print.

Follow the keynote

pslightroom

cr

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:51:46 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
Nice try Adobe.. just stop messing about and sell us the license just like before this cloud nonsense,Cloud might work for some people but it's not for everyone,I prefer clear skies..  :)

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Nice try Adobe.. just stop messing about and sell us the license just like before this cloud nonsense,Cloud might work for some people but it's not for everyone,I prefer clear skies..  :)

+1

I totally agree.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
Give a person a fish, you feed them for a day.  Teach a person to fish, you lose a steady customer.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »
Clouds make for nice photographs but I'd rather be under and enjoy blue skies :)

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
Give a person a fish, you feed them for a day.  Teach a person to fish, you lose a steady customer.
LOL  So true.
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »
This is actually a pretty good deal if you're someone who needs both photoshop and lightroom, as by the time you purchase both and upgrade both every 3yrs or so, it's break even cost wise at worst.

But, if you're just a lightroom user, its a crap deal.

edit: scratch that, the deal is specifically only for people already with CS3 or newer. Meaning unless you updated CS suites ever 20 months, it's not so great a deal

Beginning today, customers who own Photoshop CS3 or higher are eligible for a special Creative Cloud membership offer that includes all of the following for just $9.99/month:

Photoshop CC
    Lightroom 5
    20 GB of online storage
    Behance ProSite
    Access to Creative Cloud Learn’s training resources
    Ongoing upgrades and updates
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:39:28 PM by preppyak »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »

Agreed!!

I refuse to RENT software.....and have the possibility that if for any reason I cease to pay Adobe 'ransom', that I may no longer be able to open and work on my files.

cayenne

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:04:31 PM »
This is actually tempting but for 2 things.  1.) I have CS2.  Once Lightroom became more functional, its pretty much the only Adobe photo product I use so I didn't upgrade.   I'm probably the only person out here on CS2 but still, no deal for me!   & 2.) Adobe will carry this only until they have the base they need/want and then they'll either bump the price or degrade the access to the point that no one will want it.   So $10/month really isn't bad (said the spider to the fly) but..... 

I would put one change on Neuro's turn of phrase:  Teach a person to fish, you lose an income stream. I truly believe that Adobe no longer sees us as customers, simply lemmings to be herding, manipulated, etc.
still a 5D2 fan

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
This is actually tempting but for 2 things.  1.) I have CS2.  Once Lightroom became more functional, its pretty much the only Adobe photo product I use so I didn't upgrade.   I'm probably the only person out here on CS2 but still, no deal for me!   & 2.) Adobe will carry this only until they have the base they need/want and then they'll bump the price or degrade the access to the point that no one will want it.   So $10/month really isn't bad (said the spider to the fly) but..... 

I would put one change on Neuro's turn of phrase:  Teach a person to fish, you lose an income stream. I truly believe that Adobe no longer sees us as customers, simply lemmings to be herding, manipulated, etc.

Please don't be confused, Adobe is, I believe, a publicly traded company...and as such they are only answerable to the shareholders for providing them profit.<P>
The customers are just a necessity to do this, but the customer is not their primary concern or obligation.

Once I got this concept down, I can easily understand what corporations are trying to do, maximize shareholder profits, nothing more.

It isn't personal, it is purely business....the only way the consumer can fight back, is with the pocketbook.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »
This sounded very tempting until I saw the requirement that you must already own CS3 or newer.

So close, Adobe... so close!
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
I hate the thought of being held ransom by anyone..... Adobe included.  I was tempted to update to CS6 but then along came this new marketing approach of theirs.  I'll just continue to stumble along with my CS4 which pretty much does everything I need.

And if for some reason, my CS4 craps out, there will always be an alternative somewhere.

I have always owned my own home because I never wanted to be at the mercy of a landlord.  Nothing has changed.  :D
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
Should I accept the offer (I own- pardon me- I am allowed to use CS6), and I stop paying: is my license of CS6 still valid or not?
I still don't want it, just curious.
Thanks for information.
BTW.: on the german Adobe homepage I don't find this offer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »

wtlloyd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
And there it is.

This is the right combination at the right price, for me. Hassle free, two programs I use together will upgrade in lock-step without having to do workarounds.

I always upgrade for new features, and to support the vitality of the software. I don't expect the company to carry me forever, just because I bought version 1.0 back in the dark ages.

If you haven't upgraded in 4 versions, you lost the ability to pay a reduced price for a stand a lone version anyway - so I guess this doesn't really apply to you. If you're not interested in new versions of a program, what do you care what the pricing structure is going forward?

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Is this $9.95 for both products in perpetuity or is it just an introductory offer that will soon pop back up to $19.95 or $29.95 in a year?  This part: "The catch is you must own a copy of Photoshop CS3 or higher to qualify for the limited time pricing of $9.99 per month (sign-up before December 31, 2013)" sounds "fishy".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »