September 02, 2014, 10:24:08 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth  (Read 23391 times)

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
Re: Adobe Announces Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99/mth
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »
On the surface, this subscription model Adobe is using looks like a flop.  Kelby was giving away a full year at Photoshop World, and now this incredible deal.  I guess if your making money at this, it's better than the box purchase.   Adobe need to market this model as a SERVICE, not a PRODUCT.   You rent a service, but you own a product. 

It almost seems like Adobe shot themselves in the foot when they released Lightroom.  It does everything Camera RAW does (with a better interface), and you don't have to buy Photoshop to get the Camera RAW updates.

Until I start making "boatloads" of cash from my photography (LMAO), I think I'll stick to the Lightroom/PS Elements lineup and save BIG!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
Did anybody link this faq yet?

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

If you are CC now, contact Adobe to convert (see faq)

this pricing can not be obtained after Dec 31, or if you let membership lapse in the future.

I'll bet it can if nobody signs up now  ;). What would they do, lose everyone's money?

sylvestrerato

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:44 AM »
Nice try Adobe.. just stop messing about and sell us the license just like before this cloud nonsense,Cloud might work for some people but it's not for everyone,I prefer clear skies..  :)

+2!

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
I don't see the silver lining.

I can understand a subscription for a service (like a gym membership or Netflix), but for software? No way. When I install it on my machine, I expect to be able to use it when I want for as long I want.

One thing that really irritates me is Adobe's BS explanation that they had to go this route in order to make it easier for people to get the latest updates and features without having to wait 18-24 months for the next version. Rubbish. They could accomplish this just as easily by releasing service packs and making them available for download.

Plus they sort of do that anyway, at least for updates, already.

Also interesting that they had to relent and make it available using the old downloader for government and educational use where those were not able or allowed to use the new CC downloader. So they actually appear to be making it the other way too anyway despite the claims that it would be impossible due to it being a development nightmare.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:48 AM »
I don't see the silver lining.

I can understand a subscription for a service (like a gym membership or Netflix), but for software? No way. When I install it on my machine, I expect to be able to use it when I want for as long I want.

One thing that really irritates me is Adobe's BS explanation that they had to go this route in order to make it easier for people to get the latest updates and features without having to wait 18-24 months for the next version. Rubbish. They could accomplish this just as easily by releasing service packs and making them available for download. They could even charge for each service pack if they wanted to. That would allow people to use their perpetual license as we have in the past while giving the constant-updaters a way to stay updated. If it was standard license with an optional subscription-based update plan + cloud services, I wouldn't complain at all.

Man am I glad I got Lightroom 5 before it went to the cloud, too. I hope it serves me well for many years. Maybe by then Adobe will retreat on this mandatory subscription hogwash.

I wonder -- how much of this nonsense has to do with the fact that Flash is increasingly being replaced by HTML5?

And say you've subscribed for three years, why don't you get to keep the version you are at after every 2 or 3 years even if you quit? (OK, because people would quite and not sign up again for another 2-3 years and repeat is probably why but it sure rots for the consumer.)

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:23 AM »
If it's $10 for life, I might jump on it even I already have LR4 and CS6.

But if it's $10 for e.g. 12 months, and then some ridiculous amount, no way.

So can someone confirm how long they promise the $10?

the adobe blog states that this isn't an introductory price:
http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

should be open to all though and not just those who own CS3 or higher IMO
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Found the attached on Apple Rumours, seems clear enough, I think.

$9.99/month until Dec 31st, then you'll pay more.

I imagine it'll be a 1 year possibly 2 year lock on price, then you'll pay more.

Offer isn't "Live" yet, I imagine it'll take a week or so to get onto the Adobe site.

I remember some months back on another Adobe CC thread where someone that was apparently an Adobe Software onward seller declared this would never happen, Adobe doing a special for "Photographers", I guess the Positive view on this is that Adobe are concerned at the reaction to the Full CC set up, and have at least sort to not loose customer base by not putting together something for "Photographers".

Now it's really just about wether or not People feel there's value in $120/year for PSCS6+LR5 and the value offered in upgrades as they come as part of the deal, My view is that $120/month for PS+LR5 is a reasonable deal as it includes instant upgrades & new content as they come, I'm not keen on "Renting" software, but I can live with it at a price, this price. And quite honestly I see the Adobe CC "renting" of software via a yearly subscription as the way of the future, for any Company it's about Cash-flow, the subscription system helps solve this issue for Companies, I'm surprised Apple and others aren't already doing the same.

The fact that it'll only be a "fixed" price for a determined period, 1 year, maybe 2 years, is par for the course in today's world, nothing stays the same, nothing get's cheaper over time.

It will be live on Sept 17. I spoke to a Adobe rep. He never quit trying to up sell me for the full CC package for $29.99. They sound desperate.     

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop.

I tried it a few years ago and hated its file management system. Maybe I'm just used to Bridge, but it seems to fit my needs better.

Even Adobe admits Lightroom doesn't do anything that can't be done in Camera Raw. If you use smart objects, they open in Camera Raw and not Lightroom, so you end up using Camera Raw for any smart object edits anyway.

I'm told it has some advantages for batch processing that makes it easier if you are trying to manage large collections, but for a hobbyist, I just don't get it.

What am I missing?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
A bit off topic, but I'm curious why people buy Lightroom if they have Photoshop.

I tried it a few years ago and hated its file management system. Maybe I'm just used to Bridge, but it seems to fit my needs better.

Even Adobe admits Lightroom doesn't do anything that can't be done in Camera Raw. If you use smart objects, they open in Camera Raw and not Lightroom, so you end up using Camera Raw for any smart object edits anyway.

I'm told it has some advantages for batch processing that makes it easier if you are trying to manage large collections, but for a hobbyist, I just don't get it.

What am I missing?

The main thing for me is that the workflow is so much faster. I can:
1.) import a shoot
2.) scroll through them rejecting obvious bad shots and rating (1-5 stars) ones I like and want to come back to
3.) filter on the ones I've rated 3 stars or better
4.) make an adjustment that many shots will need like WB, sharpening, etc.
5.) quickly copy/paste that adjustment onto all the shots
6.) then go through and work on individual shots to tweak what they need
7.) publish them in a private gallery on any or all of Smugmug/Flickr/Facebook with only a couple of clicks
8.) share with clients, friends, whoever
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:11:31 AM by bchernicoff »
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

apmadoc

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
Make sure you read the fine print.  I think the price goes up after 12 months.

Right now I'm on a intro price of $29.99 a month for the full CC suite, but at the end of 12 months it goes up to 49.99 / month. (no, i won't be renewing)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:39:09 AM by apmadoc »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »

What am I missing?

In short LR is also a DAM app (digital asset management) and PS isn't.PS is also far more complex and capable for advanced editing and complex composite's.

Adobe is just trying to lure people with this price but once you take the bait you will be shafted later when price's go up,better of sticking with CS6,it does everything and should last for a long time yet.

And the more of us that stay away from this Creative Subscription crap the more Adobe is to revert to the perpetual license model.

Cloud is ok for some people are having the option is fine,but by removing the option Adobe is trying to manipulate us and force out hand.. I'm staying out.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
Make sure you read the fine print.  I think the price goes up after 12 months.

Right now I'm on a intro price of $29.99 a month for the full CC suite, but at the end of 12 months it goes up to 49.99 / month. (no, i won't be renewing)

They've said repeatedly that the price doesn't go up with this deal.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

rexbot

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »

What am I missing?

Lightroom is for managing a collection of images, with some decent, but limited, editing tools. Photoshop allows extensive work on one image at a time, but offers no way to organize, search, or manage a collection of images. Together they work really well for workflow management.

Here's a good comparison article. Even though it is a little dated, the points are still valid:
  http://photographylife.com/photoshop-vs-lightroom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
I hate the thought of being held ransom by anyone..... Adobe included.  I was tempted to update to CS6 but then along came this new marketing approach of theirs.  I'll just continue to stumble along with my CS4 which pretty much does everything I need.

And if for some reason, my CS4 craps out, there will always be an alternative somewhere.

I have always owned my own home because I never wanted to be at the mercy of a landlord.  Nothing has changed.  :D

CS6 is still a viable option.

Just last month bought CS6 Production Premium Suite.

I figure that will last me easily a few years....and I think by then we'll see what the lay of the land is with Adobe and rental only software.

C

dmsphoto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »
Just got off phone with Adobe...I like many I assume, bought into the $30 package but really have not taken advantage off the entire CC Suite.  This new announcement would be a better fit for me, so I called to see if Adobe was going to have a "cross grade" type path...only to be told by the Adobe Rep that this announcement ($9.99) is a RUMOR! lol There are escalating my case and am supposedly getting a call back in a day or so.
1DX, 5DMKII, 7D, 1DMKII, 400/2.8IS, 300/2.8IS, 200/2IS, 135/2, 85/1.2II, 24TS/E MKII, 70-200/2.8IS MKII, 24-105IS, 17-35, 8-15 Fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:08 AM »