November 28, 2014, 07:19:01 PM

Author Topic: Waterscapes  (Read 62783 times)

ckwaller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Waterscapes
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
Taken bear Galveston, Texas.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

Interesting photo. Like the watersports stuff, however, I think it would be best if we could keep the industry off this thread. It was really meant to be waterscapes...landscape photos that are primarily about the water in them, like brooks and creeks and cascades and waterfalls, rivers & lakes with mountain or landscape backdrops, coastlines (lighthouses, docks, and piers are ok), etc.

I was really looking for the artistic side of watery landscapes, not sports and oil rigs. I don't mean to be callous, but there are so many beautiful photos that you guys could be posting, like the one just posted by ckwalker near Galveston, TX. THAT is what this thread is supposed to be about! :P

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

Interesting photo. Like the watersports stuff, however, I think it would be best if we could keep the industry off this thread. It was really meant to be waterscapes...landscape photos that are primarily about the water in them, like brooks and creeks and cascades and waterfalls, rivers & lakes with mountain or landscape backdrops, coastlines (lighthouses, docks, and piers are ok), etc.

I was really looking for the artistic side of watery landscapes, not sports and oil rigs. I don't mean to be callous, but there are so many beautiful photos that you guys could be posting, like the one just posted by ckwalker near Galveston, TX. THAT is what this thread is supposed to be about! :P

Seems as if you like being negative.  Maybe that is keeping people from posting waterscapes in your thread?  I'd never post one of mine here, I know it wouldn't be up to your standards!

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

Seems as if you like being negative.  Maybe that is keeping people from posting waterscapes in your thread?  I'd never post one of mine here, I know it wouldn't be up to your standards!

It isn't a matter of standards, it's a matter of subject. Oil rigs aren't a waterscape. Windsurfers aren't waterscapes. That's all I'm saying. Just trying to keep the thread on topic. No need to be insulting.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:29 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

It isn't a matter of standards, it's a matter of subject. Oil rigs aren't a waterscape. Windsurfers aren't waterscapes. That's all I'm saying. Just trying to keep the thread on topic. No need to be insulting.

Was making an observation, it was hardly an insult.  Not that you are this thin skinned, though.

I can however understand not wanting a shot like this though, I mean...it kind of looks like it would be used in a poltical action type ad against pollution, or promoting the EPA or something. 

Have you shot any waterscapes in the last few weeks or so?

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

Was making an observation, it was hardly an insult.  Not that you are this thin skinned, though.

I can however understand not wanting a shot like this though, I mean...it kind of looks like it would be used in a poltical action type ad against pollution, or promoting the EPA or something. 

Colorado is still in the heart of winter. Not much in the way of open water these days. I've been focusing my photographer efforts on the deep night sky, so I'm up all night and asleep during the day anyway. A lot of our mountain roads are still in poor shape from the terrible rains we had last Sept, and snows are still quite heavy up there (feet), so I don't venture into the mountains much for any kind of landscape photography these days...probably won't until the snow has melted.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm

I think some have very narrow definitions of what a Landscape, Waterscape, Nature photograph etc. is. To me the picture in question definitely falls into the Waterscape category and I find the thread more interesting to follow, because I don´t just get water horizons with rising or falling suns. Where are the limits to what is acceptable? People? A rowing boat? Boat, but without engine? A building? ...

According to Webster (biggest dictionary I know), Waterscape is defined as "A picture or view of the sea or other body of water" and the picture in question is clearly "a picture or view of the sea" ...
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:03 AM »

Colorado is still in the heart of winter. Not much in the way of open water these days. I've been focusing my photographer efforts on the deep night sky, so I'm up all night and asleep during the day anyway. A lot of our mountain roads are still in poor shape from the terrible rains we had last Sept, and snows are still quite heavy up there (feet), so I don't venture into the mountains much for any kind of landscape photography these days...probably won't until the snow has melted.

Ah, understandable.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 27, 2014, 03:18:35 AM »

I think some have very narrow definitions of what a Landscape, Waterscape, Nature photograph etc. is. To me the picture in question definitely falls into the Waterscape category and I find the thread more interesting to follow, because I don´t just get water horizons with rising or falling suns. Where are the limits to what is acceptable? People? A rowing boat? Boat, but without engine? A building? ...

According to Webster (biggest dictionary I know), Waterscape is defined as "A picture or view of the sea or other body of water" and the picture in question is clearly "a picture or view of the sea" ...

You make a good point, but I hate to side with Jrista...he's the thread initiator, and has stated what he felt should be in it.  That said, he is hard to please, so I don't try.  Also..."waterscape"...itself sounds like there shouldn't be people in it, at least not as major elements.  But I did enjoy seeing the surfing pictures too.

Have a look at the images over the first few pages of the thread, and interpret that how you will.

I think you should start your own thread for the type of waterscapes you'd like to see shared.  Most of the time when I start a thread, I get the haters...but you might fare better than me (which is probably not difficult to do!)

I think I'll share an image in the "6D" thread, because the photo snobs don't look in it as much!

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2014, 04:34:50 AM »

Technically speaking, you can define anything to be as broad or narrow as you want it to be. According to webster's definition, they don't seem to include waterscapes that aren't "bodies" of water...ocean, sea, lake. Rivers, creeks, brooks, waterfalls, etc. are generally not considered "bodies" of water.

I truly do not believe I am being narrow in my definition here. The image I recently commented about is clearly "industry" to me, industry that just so happens to be on a body of water. That isn't a water SCAPE to me...SCAPE, like a landscape. I've been a nature photographer for a long time. I've participated in photography sites like DeviantArt for years, and managed groups there. I've NEVER encountered a definition of "waterscape" that included industry or sports as the primary subject.

I'm happy with anything where the water is the primary subject. If there are row boats or bridges or background city or what have you, as long as it's part of an artistic landscape scene where water is the primary subject, I have no problem with it. I'm not being exceptionally picky here...however the industry and images that were primarily watersports really don't fit the bill, IMHO.

Personally, I actually like industrial photos. Some people are exceptionally good at them, and they have their own aesthetic appeal. I just think that, and watersports, should get their own threads. ;)

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »
Just bought a second hand 24-70mm F2.8 Sept 2012 build so went out to test it very happy with it!

Silhouette Sunset, Ullswater, Park Foot, Cumbria by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
North Sea, UK sector

Sigma 150-500, at 500mm
This is my domain ... I make a lot of images of offshore rigs, unfortunately our company policy does not permit me to post images of our rigs without prior written approval from our Marketing & Business Development department (who in turn will process the approval thorough the CEO' office), so I just don't bother going through all that hassle ... I really like offshore/onshore rigs, they are just amazing, one has to spend a day on one of those rigs to appreciate the kind of hard work the crew put in daily to let us live our comfortable lives in this electronic world.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:55:36 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
Most of the time when I start a thread, I get the haters...
Hi Carl, if I'm not wrong, didn't I once say that your writing style "sounds" like you are an angry dude, so that could attract haters  ;D ... hey I'm just kidding, you & jrista are some of the few people I follow on CR ... and I say that with much respect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:23:50 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:56 PM »
Hi folks.
I follow several people on here, sometimes I disagree with an opinion, I'm sure people disagree with my opinion but life is too damn short to hate anyone for a post on a web site. I really like the mostly good nature of the participants here, and it appears even when two people seem to be at loggerheads on one topic they can praise each other for a nice photo on another topic. Almost surreal!
I sometimes wonder if people have something against me, I seem to post then no one replies to the subject after me, oh well never mind.

Cheers Graham.

Most of the time when I start a thread, I get the haters...
Hi Carl, if I'm not wrong, didn't I once say that your writing style "sounds" like you are an angry dude, so that could attract haters  ;D ... hey I'm just kidding, you & jrista are some of the few people I follow on CR ... and I say that with much respect.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »
Just bought a second hand 24-70mm F2.8 Sept 2012 build so went out to test it very happy with it!

WOW! Those are stunning! Love the deep colors, and the vignetting on the second one. Beautiful work! Exactly what I started this thread to see! :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »