July 29, 2014, 06:56:03 PM

Author Topic: I want lens hood  (Read 3672 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: I want lens hood
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
Let's do a campaign to offer Canon lens hood on all your lenses. The other lens manufacturers offer lens hood as part of the package, and only Canon does not ... >:( Strangely, the same Canon does so in some markets, such as Asia. Will some customers are worth more than others? :o

In a way I agree that the lenses should come with hoods. 
On the other hand, there are cases where hoods are not used, or are less useful - as has been mentioned above.  Also, lens hoods can be reused if a lens breaks (or vice versa), or the same model fits different lenses.
So, from an environmental point of view (less waste, less landfill), anything which is not a white L (because these hoods are 99% likely to be used), should not come with a hood, and the hood is only purchased as needed. However, Canon should offer them at more reasonable prices. Now, I just get the ones for a few $ on ebay.
Hoods in landfills are sure not the same scale of problem as the gazillion mobile phone chargers, which still work fine, but were thrown away because the new phone used a different one. Nevertheless, when include something that not everybody will use. The pouches are useless as well, indeed.
Some buyers will not use the lens hood, or worse, will use mounted inverted. :P But, will the canon users are less intelligent than others? :-\ Will buyers lens "no L" are so unable to properly fit the lens hood? On the environmental issue, the plastic is fully recyclable and non-toxic, unlike batteries and cell phone chargers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
I do agree that it is wonderful to have lens hoods, I also realize back in the day, large format and even medium format lenses hardly ever came with lens hoods.  While in modern day 35mm lenses the usefulness can be debatable, and surely some are more attractive than others 70-200 F4's vs 70-200 F2.8's, but for the most part, they are more important as protection than anything else.  I always keep my hoods on and hardly ever take them off, unless i'm reversing the orientation for better storage in my cases. 

Like others, I think they are keeping them as a "pull through" to get people to buy the L lenses.  As for the cases, they are pretty but are not functional.  If sigma for a lens half the cost can produce a padded case for every lens, so can canon. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
I do agree that it is wonderful to have lens hoods, I also realize back in the day, large format and even medium format lenses hardly ever came with lens hoods.  While in modern day 35mm lenses the usefulness can be debatable, and surely some are more attractive than others 70-200 F4's vs 70-200 F2.8's, but for the most part, they are more important as protection than anything else.  I always keep my hoods on and hardly ever take them off, unless i'm reversing the orientation for better storage in my cases. 

Like others, I think they are keeping them as a "pull through" to get people to buy the L lenses.  As for the cases, they are pretty but are not functional.  If sigma for a lens half the cost can produce a padded case for every lens, so can canon.
In fact, digital cameras are more prone to reflections from the sensor (which is reflective) and lens hood helps prevent light from entering the lens at angles unwanted. In addition, many people currently do not use UV filter in front of the lens, because the camera sensor already has one inside. So, the protection of a lens hood is more necessary today than in the past.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:47:07 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
Are there third party companies that sell lens hoods for lenses?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Old Sarge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »

There are but the one I bought didn't fit the lens it was designed for very well.  Had to do some knife work on it and it still was on the tight side.  Luckily it fit a lens I rarely use.
The Old Sarge

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »

There are but the one I bought didn't fit the lens it was designed for very well.  Had to do some knife work on it and it still was on the tight side.  Luckily it fit a lens I rarely use.
Yes, there are many manufacturers of generic accessories with good price and quality almost always low. We can not risk buying it, or pay more for the original Canon lens hood. The problem is that the originals are much more expensive, but the quality is not much better. :( If Canon lens hood starts doing as good as Tokina and Sigma would be great. But what would the price increase? Maybe 200%. :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »