December 20, 2014, 10:28:38 PM

Author Topic: Another Nikon full-frame  (Read 8479 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Another Nikon full-frame
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

and if you ask me, Nikon's lineup seems really good if you're looking to upgrade to full frame:

D4s for professional sports
D810 for studio and landscape
D750 for semi-professional action and wedding and event pros.
D610 for advanced amateurs

Desperation? more like excellent planning for if canon had such lineup many here would be praising their wide selection instead of making stupid comments about how this somehow weakens their system. Many people have asked for this camera and nikon listened which IMO is a quality canon should follow.

Well surely that equates to:-
D4s 1DX for professional sports
D810 MIA for studio and landscape (though Canon seem to have been of the opinion that their sensor tech and higher MP in the 135 format are not a market they are interested in)
D750 5D MkIII for semi-professional action and wedding and event pros.
D610 6D for advanced amateurs

Of course you failed to mention the Df, and that is the one that that has thrown the Nikon FF lineup the curved ball and elicited the smirks and derision it seems to have deserved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

markko

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »
Apparently the D610, Df, and D810 aren't enough in the $2-3000 range.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/08/another-full-frame-nikon-dslr-camera-coming-for-phiotokina.aspx/

I gotta say, I'm glad Canon isn't getting into this silliness.

Looking at the link below, I think they'll announce the D820...  ;D

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3182497502/nikon-announces-service-advisory-for-d810-bright-spots

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »

and if you ask me, Nikon's lineup seems really good if you're looking to upgrade to full frame:

Desperation? more like excellent planning for if canon had such lineup many here would be praising their wide selection instead of making stupid comments about how this somehow weakens their system. Many people have asked for this camera and nikon listened which IMO is a quality canon should follow.

D810 MIA for studio and landscape (though Canon seem to have been of the opinion that their sensor tech and higher MP in the 135 format are not a market they are interested in)

Of course you failed to mention the Df, and that is the one that that has thrown the Nikon FF lineup the curved ball and elicited the smirks and derision it seems to have deserved.

The Df for me is really a camera that fell into fanboy no mans land, hated by the mirrorless crowd for pushing in on "there turf", hated by those pushing the standard DSLR form factor, hated by the Canon fan. Ultimately though I'm guessing its gotten Nikon are fair few sales from people outside these camps and probably didn't cost them a massive amount(new body but no new sensor, AF system etc).

Canon might potentially be able to do without it but today I think even Nikon really needs to go after the niche markets, the key is I'd say to do so in such a way that its cost effective.

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Apparently the D610, Df, and D810 aren't enough in the $2-3000 range.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/08/another-full-frame-nikon-dslr-camera-coming-for-phiotokina.aspx/

I gotta say, I'm glad Canon isn't getting into this silliness.

Looking at the link below, I think they'll announce the D820...  ;D

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3182497502/nikon-announces-service-advisory-for-d810-bright-spots

software issues <> hardware issues. remember the 5DMkIII light leaks? 1DsMKIII oil. those are the kind of stuff to watch out from. software patches are nicer.

in other news, the truth will be out in just a few days (10) to be exact
http://nikonrumors.com/2014/09/02/nikon-d750-dslr-camera-to-be-announced-in-10-days.aspx/

I'll rent one to check it out, but thinking about going to 24MP just isn't going to cut unless it had something like 16stops of DR or some other magic. Even the high ISO will likely have the DR of a fax machine as it is often the case with all the high ISO images out there, thus not interested.

the Df is more of a nostalgia item and not something you really see used in a commercial or professional setting, specially not with the D750 being a "proper" body that better fits the needs of its pro and semi-pro audience. But yes, that is a choice.

You've correctly mapped the offerings to canon's which demonstrates that Nikon is in fact not really throwing too many models out there. In fact they still lack the D4X which is a pro fissional grade high res body, probably clocking at 40-50MP. It has been rumored like the canon high MP body, and likely in prototype phase, just like with canon. Ultimately I can't complain. Choices in the full frame game are great, and add to that what sony is doing with mirrorless, which is ahead of anybody. We're really just staring the golden age of full frame digital.

Canon will off course go high MP in some model. Just like when Nikon was the first to push the religion of the high ISO with the D3, then only to have canon follow, and a high end APSC body like the D300 and have canon follow. And now that thankfully we have competition, seeing manufacturers try the other's formula is welcomed. I hope we never see a canon/nikon like era of total dominance again for it means stagnation, lack of choice, and worse equipment for all. Thankfully those days are long gone :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:45:02 PM by psolberg »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »