October 21, 2014, 03:22:54 PM

Author Topic: Filter System Coming for the TS-E 17 f/4L? [CR1]  (Read 8730 times)

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Filter System Coming for the TS-E 17 f/4L? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »
I bought a second cap for my TSE 17, dismantled it, applied a Dremel and added an 82mm wide angle adapter. With care, you can set it up so that filters have about a mm clearance from the front element. This arrangement works fine with some caveats.

1. As others have commented, the amount of shift is limited before the filter vignettes the image.
2. The Lee CPL filter can't be used because it is mounted outside the filter holder and casts a circular shadow onto the image. If you need a PL/CPL, the Fotodiox version is the only route I know of.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
Lucroit already have an adapter ring and filter system for this lens...

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Having looked at the WonderPana 145 Essentials Kit I am interested in getting one for the polarizer. Could somebody who owns one post a picture of it mounted on the 17TS-E please? Whilst I can understand how it works on the 14mm and the Nikon 14-24 I don't see how it fits the 17TS-E without mounting on the focus ring. It would be a great help if I could see one before ordering, thanks.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

fiend

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
I would like to see this product hit the market. Sadly I think it will take some time since LEE are not the fastest when it comes to delivery :/

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Having looked at the WonderPana 145 Essentials Kit I am interested in getting one for the polarizer. Could somebody who owns one post a picture of it mounted on the 17TS-E please? Whilst I can understand how it works on the 14mm and the Nikon 14-24 I don't see how it fits the 17TS-E without mounting on the focus ring. It would be a great help if I could see one before ordering, thanks.

Here you go. As you can see it is mounted via the bayonet of the lens cap. Very secure and does not vignette with movement.
Added Bonus is some protection of the front element.

Rick

• Rebel SL1
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
DIY filterholder
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
Ben Egbert and I discussed doing a DIY filterholder utilizing the 17's front cap in April 2011. I am not handy so I had to wait until Ben actually did the work and produced a tutorial. (See below). Total cost for parts = $80 or so. You will not ba able to buy the Lee version (if real) for 4x this number. In the meantime, a bunch of folks popped on the internet with the same or similiar idea. Except for some vignetting in areas of the frame that appear when the shift is too strong, works like a charm.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=206#comment-1780
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

Here you go. As you can see it is mounted via the bayonet of the lens cap. Very secure and does not vignette with movement.
Added Bonus is some protection of the front element.

Many thanks Normalnorm, I am sold and will order one when I go to the States in a few weeks. I watched the video of how they mounted it to the 14-24 with the compression ring type fitting and as that made no sense on the 17 I really appreciate your photo.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

fiend

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: DIY filterholder
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
Ben Egbert and I discussed doing a DIY filterholder utilizing the 17's front cap in April 2011. I am not handy so I had to wait until Ben actually did the work and produced a tutorial. (See below). Total cost for parts = $80 or so. You will not ba able to buy the Lee version (if real) for 4x this number. In the meantime, a bunch of folks popped on the internet with the same or similiar idea. Except for some vignetting in areas of the frame that appear when the shift is too strong, works like a charm.

Followed his work on another forum and he later said (I think?) that the thing fell of due to the glue not sticking hard enough. He also mentioned that he would not make another one since the front-cap with the standard-holder was better alternative. Smaller and less vinjeting.
If I'm not all wrong.

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

Followed his work on another forum and he later said (I think?) that the thing fell of due to the glue not sticking hard enough. He also mentioned that he would not make another one since the front-cap with the standard-holder was better alternative. Smaller and less vinjeting.
If I'm not all wrong.

I saw all the DIY solutions and long ago learned the cost of the materials is nearly irrelevant to the labor and PITA of cutting, gluing and praying it works.

For me the Wonderpana is a very well built solution that really works. Infinitely better than any DIY solution.
YMMV.

BTW @Privatebydesign, I am pleased my 100th post was a helpful one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:24:33 PM by Normalnorm »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »

Normalnorm, it certainly was, I have seen the Fotodiox setup mentioned here before but never really investigated it. The feedback I have seen is generally happy with the quality of the 145mm polariser and that really is the only filter I miss for my 17 TS-E work. Your image sealed the deal.

Thanks again for your very helpful 100th post!

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »

Normalnorm, it certainly was, I have seen the Fotodiox setup mentioned here before but never really investigated it. The feedback I have seen is generally happy with the quality of the 145mm polariser and that really is the only filter I miss for my 17 TS-E work. Your image sealed the deal.

Thanks again for your very helpful 100th post!

Another issue which isn't often talked about with Lee 100mm filters and TS-e adaptors...is that rear reflections can occur, where light and shadows bounce off the rear of the exposed oblong filter in the holder. Some fit large baffles, others us a back sock to mask out the reflections. Because the Wondapaner system uses circular  filters which screw in the thread blocks this light leak. 

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »
Well I just ordered my Wonderpana from Amazon, $269.95 with free shipping, should be with me around the 23rd.

I didn't go for the 66 kit and extras as they don't seem very well thought out for a bayonet mount accessory, to use a grad you'd have to take the "ears" off each time you rotated the camera.

Amazon has some very nice images of the TS-E17 bayonet mount which I have attached should anybody be interested in the future.

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Fotodiox has just released the FreeArc version of the Wonderpana 66 which appears to allow unlimited rotation without having to disassemble (take the ears off).

Unfortunately the FreeArc is currently only available in kit or upgrade to the original mount for the Nikon 14-24mm.

I sent them an e-mail last week and they replied stating that they intend to have a FreeArc version for each lens that currently has a standard Wonderpana 66 mount. When they do I will probably buy their setup for the  TSE 17mm F/4L.

I can see where the Lee system would have an advantage of being able to use on almost any other lens whereas the Wonderpana only fits two Canon lenses.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:22:49 AM by ddl »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
Fotodiox has just released the FreeArc version of the Wonderpana 66 which appears to allow unlimited rotation without having to disassemble (take the ears off).

Unfortunately the FreeArc is currently only available in kit or upgrade to the original mount for the Nikon 14-24mm.

I sent them an e-mail last week and they replied stating that they intend to have a FreeArc version for each lens that currently has a standard Wonderpana 66 mount. When they do I will probably buy their setup for the  TSE 17mm F/4L.

I can see where the Lee system would have an advantage of being able to use on almost any other lens whereas the Wonderpana only fits two Canon lenses.

Well that's annoying! My four day old filter system is obsolete........

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
It looks like the FreeArc adapter is now available for the Canon 17 F/4L TS-E, a 10 stop ND 145mm round filter is also rumored to be coming soon as per their forum.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »