August 21, 2014, 02:14:26 PM

Author Topic: Size of filters for EOS Cinema lenses?  (Read 1029 times)

dmosier

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Size of filters for EOS Cinema lenses?
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
I'm going to be shooting a short film in a month and we're planning on renting a set of EOS CN-E cinema lenses but I've never worked with these lenses before. According to the specs they are all a diameter of 114mm.

Does anyone know if a standard matte box with 4x5" filters would be the sufficient size?

Thanks,
Damon

canon rumors FORUM

Size of filters for EOS Cinema lenses?
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Size of filters for EOS Cinema lenses?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
It would be close, as 110mm is just around 4.5" in diameter.

When are you Americans going get with the rest of the world and go metric?
It makes life so much easier.....................

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »
It would be close, as 110mm is just around 4.5" in diameter.

When are you Americans going get with the rest of the world and go metric?
It makes life so much easier.....................

Why the big fuss over which measuring system?  People can just as easily do the conversion in their heads (or at least with a calculator).  It's pretty simple math.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

dmosier

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »
Let me rephrase the question then.

I know that a 4x5 filter (4x5.65 really but that's the shorthand) is wide enough for the actual physical diameter of the lens, but not sure about the height. Of course, the image is 16x9 so the filter doesn't have to be as tall as it is wide. But is it tall enough that the entire field of view of the lenses will go through the filter and I won't see the edges.

We actually have Schneider 4x4 filters but that is just shy of 114mm and I'm not sure if they are wide enough. Because even though the physical housing of the lens is 114mm, I'm not sure if the filter needs to be that wide as well to cover the entire field of view of the lenses.

I'm less worried about the physical size than the field of view. I was wondering if anyone else has shot with these lenses and what size filters they used.

Is that more clear?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »
Speak to the hire house.  They'll be able to tell you, or be able to rent you the right thing.

You'll get an answer involving a 1DX to any question you post on this forum, which is mainly photography based in any case.

Repost in the video thread or ask the hire house.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:08:53 PM »