December 20, 2014, 07:07:57 PM

Author Topic: More New Full Frame Rumors [CR1]  (Read 22932 times)

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: More New Full Frame Rumors [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
internally as a “Nikon-killer”

Killing what? Nikon? The whole Nikon feature set? So... This next camera would be...

16bit, Nikon does 14
+12fps, Nikon does 11
+25mp, Nikon does 24
+52 AF point, Nikon does 51
+3 CF card, Nikon has 2
support EF, EF-S and maybe FD, Nikon does support old and new lens,
popup flash with wireless flash trigger, another thing Nikon does,
4D AdobeRGB color metering, Nikon has only 3D RGB,

What does it take for a Canon camera to beat Nikon? Which feature will Canon kill?

My point is that the "Nikon-Killer" name doesn't make sense... A D3s killer or D700 killer would make more sense but the whole Nikon brand killing thing doesn't.

Whatever Canon is coming with next will beat Nikon on most feature but even Canon has to choose what to attack hehe :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »

jeremymerriam

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Great, something for the enthusiasts, nothing for the pros.

speak for yourself.  I am a pro and i still shoot with the 12.8 MP 5D.  I am holding off until canon either makes a camera with better dynamic range or the price of medium format backs on the lower Megapixel go down. the megapixel war is useless for my needs

JerryFish

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
I would absolutely by this camera. Most people this camera would be targeted at (non pros) dont need the high pixel count required for large prints (18+ is plenty). A shift in bettering IQ, DR and low light is the way canon should go. Obviously if canon is trying to create a low light D3s rival, theyre going to need better AF... what's the point of a capable low light sensor if you cant lock focus?

michsyw

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
Oh wow, 3 years to put a FF sensor into 7D body? yes, 7D with FF is nikon killer to me, period. Maybe throw in the articulate screen or what not, but thats not important.

matai

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
This is very exciting to me, I'm currently on a Panasonic G3 which is a great little camera.  However full-frame has been calling to me as landscapes and nature photography is my thing. 

What price range do you all think this will be?  $1500-$2000?

I would basically be happy with a Digital Rebel with a full-frame sensor right now, can't wait to hear more about this!

aaronofnero

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
well, clearly this is evolutionary. let me wager and outrageously accurate and educated prediction.

a fanciful 5dmkIII with the following:
55MP full frame image with 28 stops of dynamic range and a noiseless ISO range from 25 to 102,400. b/w noise compression kicks in at 409,600 ISO (max). indescribable AF with 90 point recognition at all offered exposure options, of equal power and effectiveness during video. 10,000,000 exposure durability on shutter with 60 - 1/32000 second timing variables. specialty flash sync at 1/2000 of a second. 24fps burst mode at RAW. manual video control over full dynamic range and iso. incremental frame rates from 1 to 240 frames a second at 18bit 4k resolution, uncompressed 4:4:4 prores codec with built in HDR mode. rolling shutter. in-camera aperture, zoom and focus control (wireless with controller). dual CF card reader/writer supporting up to two 512GB 120mb/s cards. 3G-SDI output. thunderbolt output. complete removal of aliasing and moire issues. quarter-inch input for audio, with manual audio control and phenomenal compressor/limiter/white-noise reducer options engineered by Waves.

bunch of other neat stuff.

oh, and it comes as an option with a brand new 16-135mm f/1.2 L series lens with an entirely new motion-predictive system of IS.

they have also rumored the street name for this camera to be appropriately titled "the game changer" ...Nike is also on board for co-op marketing.

wtf
wrong thread?

post it here --> http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1645.0.html

haha it was a bit of sarcasm to the taste of the title "nikon killer" ....all of which i mentioned is beyond a wishlist.. more so potentially unlikely, as it would rival most cameras 30k+ and would be excessively advanced technologically

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
speak for yourself.  I am a pro and i still shoot with the 12.8 MP 5D.  I am holding off until canon either makes a camera with better dynamic range or the price of medium format backs on the lower Megapixel go down. the megapixel war is useless for my needs

Mega-pixel are not everything you are right. My1DII has only 8.2mp and it still works great. But, I'm sure that the 1DIV has better dynamic range, even if it has more mega-pixel... Would a camera produced today with 8mp have a better dynamic range than the current 1DIV?... Probably. Then again, nearly 8 years after I bought my 1DII, I wouldnt buy a 8mp camera now... The difference between 21 and 8 is huge!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
well, clearly this is evolutionary. let me wager and outrageously accurate and educated prediction.

a fanciful 5dmkIII with the following:
55MP full frame image with 28 stops of dynamic range and a noiseless ISO range from 25 to 102,400. b/w noise compression kicks in at 409,600 ISO (max). indescribable AF with 90 point recognition at all offered exposure options, of equal power and effectiveness during video. 10,000,000 exposure durability on shutter with 60 - 1/32000 second timing variables. specialty flash sync at 1/2000 of a second. 24fps burst mode at RAW. manual video control over full dynamic range and iso. incremental frame rates from 1 to 240 frames a second at 18bit 4k resolution, uncompressed 4:4:4 prores codec with built in HDR mode. rolling shutter. in-camera aperture, zoom and focus control (wireless with controller). dual CF card reader/writer supporting up to two 512GB 120mb/s cards. 3G-SDI output. thunderbolt output. complete removal of aliasing and moire issues. quarter-inch input for audio, with manual audio control and phenomenal compressor/limiter/white-noise reducer options engineered by Waves.

bunch of other neat stuff.

oh, and it comes as an option with a brand new 16-135mm f/1.2 L series lens with an entirely new motion-predictive system of IS.

they have also rumored the street name for this camera to be appropriately titled "the game changer" ...Nike is also on board for co-op marketing.

Cool! Send this in via email and your comment is now a rumour ;-)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:35 PM »
An entry-level, lower megapixel (whatever that means) camera sounds interesting, but how would you market such a machine? With many, if not most, people looking to step up from a point-and-shoot to an SLR, all they care about is megapixels. To them, image quality and megapixel count is one in the same. You have to be somewhat committed to techno geekery to even know or care about stuff like ISO and dynamic range. I can't see how you'd convince people like that to spend substantially more money than a Rebel on this rumored full-frame, "lower mp" body when they don't even know the difference between crop sensors and FF sensors.

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
An entry-level, lower megapixel (whatever that means) camera sounds interesting, but how would you market such a machine? With many, if not most, people looking to step up from a point-and-shoot to an SLR, all they care about is megapixels. To them, image quality and megapixel count is one in the same. You have to be somewhat committed to techno geekery to even know or care about stuff like ISO and dynamic range. I can't see how you'd convince people like that to spend substantially more money than a Rebel on this rumored full-frame, "lower mp" body when they don't even know the difference between crop sensors and FF sensors.
Most people upgrading from P &S do have some idea about, ISO, MP sensor size etc. Also most of people can tell the picture from a P &S from a APS_C, let alone FF.We should not assume that they are that naive. Also Canon can always educate people in their advertisement  and literatures.

Dave

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »
I love the word "Nikon Killer"

Bascially somebody saw the "Less pixels are better" comment from Canon and thought "hey you know what I'll submit a rumour"

I don't think so. This is the logical conclusion: It's actually exactly what I wrote yesterday:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1670.msg24418.html#msg24418

And actually... Canon really NEEDS a "Nikon Killer"

dgsphto

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:55 AM »
And actually... Canon really NEEDS a "Nikon Killer"

Well said. Canon's been way to greedy for long and have not been fair to their customers based on how they have segmented their product lines and features.

Nikon, on the other hand, packs in everything that they can at a given price point. Just look at what the D7000 brought to the table!

The 5D Classic was revolutionary in what it brought to the table. I am yet to see customers being treated fairly after then in the Canon camp. And based on what I am reading, the tip-over point has been reached now! So yes, they only have one shot at it to get it right, especially when Nikon seemingly has replacements planned for the D300s and the D700.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:09:56 AM by dgsphto »

UncleFester

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
I'd be willing to bet most people couldn't tell the difference between D3 and 5DII images. Or 5DII to a 7D, or a 1DIV to a 5D.  These cameras are all too close and the look of the image is down to the photographers.

So, one killing the other? I get the impression they're building the same cameras. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »

[/quote]
My1DII has only 8.2mp and it still works great. But, I'm sure that the 1DIV has better dynamic range, even if it has more mega-pixel...
[/quote]

Yes, it does.  The reason being the 1DIV has much lower noise due to the modern electronics in the sensor.

[/quote]
Would a camera produced today with 8mp have a better dynamic range than the current 1DIV?... Probably.
[/quote]

Yes, it would.  The larger pixels would each collect more light and the sensor, due to current electronics, would have lower noise.

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 04:05:03 AM »
I'd be willing to bet most people couldn't tell the difference between D3 and 5DII images. Or 5DII to a 7D, or a 1DIV to a 5D. 

At 100%, manually exposed with the same settings... hell yeah I could.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 04:05:03 AM »