November 26, 2014, 11:56:02 PM

Author Topic: Front page often V .. E ..... R ................Y .. SLOW to load  (Read 3864 times)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Front page often V .. E ..... R ................Y .. SLOW to load
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:49 PM »
It's been happening a while but seems to be getting even worse lately, opening the front page of this site can take a very long time.
from what I can tell, it often seems the holdup is google-analytics related code and waiting for social media sites to return data for their links (with counters?)
Seems at its worst during the day when all those over-used social media sites are very busy.

Once into the CR forum section, stuff loads pretty quickly, even with graphics.

I doubt any of this is going away... I'll either be skipping the front page or looking for a browser plugin to block all that 3rd party code from trying to load.

canon rumors FORUM

Front page often V .. E ..... R ................Y .. SLOW to load
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:49 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Front page often V .. E ..... R ................Y .. SLOW to load
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
I have a very slow internet connection, and the CR front page opens almost instantly, which is unusually fast.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
I have a very slow internet connection, and the CR front page opens almost instantly, which is unusually fast.

No slowness for me, either. Loads fast even on my iPhone via AT&T's slower non-LTE network.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
Normal speed here too.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Maybe Google Adsense reads your posts, and whatever server distributes the Nikon/Sony ads is bogged down...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »

No slowness for me, either. Loads fast even on my iPhone via AT&T's slower non-LTE network.

+1...Samsung S4 4G Verizion loads quite fast - no slowing down.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Canon1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »
Lightning fast for me. Any time of day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:28:40 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »
Try downloading and installing an "add blocker", I have one installed and it works on all my browsers, well worth it as long as you don't mind having add free Browsing.

I dont know if it'll help your situation, but worth trying, my CR Front page seems to load quite fast.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Mine loads very fast too.... unless there's a Nikon ad, than I have to reboot to get the green tint off my screen. My phone loads fast too.
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

Ron Bailey

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »
I have a horrible internet connection via satellite on the Big Island of Hawaii in the middle of nowhere and it loads up very fast.  Does not sound like a site problem.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:02 AM »
none of the CR domain code is slow,
it's just google (adsense and G+), twitter, facebook, (gurble?!?) and a smattering of other domains that get (multi-?) referred to by whatever I haven't had the patience to track.

By the time some of these things get resolved the sun has moved perceptibly across the sky when I try to access from work - I've had loads take nearly 3 minutes or even time out.
At home I'm on a feed that's got great burst BW and Mb+/s sustained thru-put.  Page loads reasonably well but all the non-CR domains are still fairly slow to load.

Yup, maybe a new adblock plugin is needed, and custom block everything else.  Hmmm... maybe my ISP is traffic-shaping some of that junk.

edit:  anyone else on this part of the continent having load speed issues? (AB, BC, WA, ID, MT, AK)
edit 2: yup, with some updated ad, script, and track blocker plugins CR front page loads super fast.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:43:29 AM by Aglet »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:54 AM »
none of the CR domain code is slow,
it's just google (adsense and G+), twitter, facebook, (gurble?!?) and a smattering of other domains that get (multi-?) referred to by whatever I haven't had the patience to track.

By the time some of these things get resolved the sun has moved perceptibly across the sky when I try to access from work - I've had loads take nearly 3 minutes or even time out.
At home I'm on a feed that's got great burst BW and Mb+/s sustained thru-put.  Page loads reasonably well but all the non-CR domains are still fairly slow to load.

Yup, maybe a new adblock plugin is needed, and custom block everything else.  Hmmm... maybe my ISP is traffic-shaping some of that junk.

edit:  anyone else on this part of the continent having load speed issues? (AB, BC, WA, ID, MT, AK)
edit 2: yup, with some updated ad, script, and track blocker plugins CR front page loads super fast.

Yes, same here. And some animated adds...

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
Canon Rumors loads almost instantly on my iPad and on my Win 8.1 PC.  I have a 116Mbit/s internet connection and a HP Z800 Dual CPU workstation. 

If CR is loading slowly, I suspect the issue is most likely related to your internet connection speed foremost, PC speed cold be a secondary issue causing the delay.  Though unless your PC is ancient (6+ years old), I suspect the hardware will not be the issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
Canon Rumors loads almost instantly on my iPad and on my Win 8.1 PC.  I have a 116Mbit/s internet connection and a HP Z800 Dual CPU workstation. 

If CR is loading slowly, I suspect the issue is most likely related to your internet connection speed foremost, PC speed cold be a secondary issue causing the delay.  Though unless your PC is ancient (6+ years old), I suspect the hardware will not be the issue.

Connection is fiberglass. PC i7 graphiccard 1 GB, 8GB memory - 6 months old.

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
I access the site from all over the world, mostly from home here in Dubai, and no speed issues.
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »