September 03, 2014, 03:55:30 AM

Author Topic: EOS-M or New EF lens?  (Read 6089 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-M or New EF lens?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
I say be patient.... There is a strong rumor that canon will announce a pair of eos-m cameras sometime in September, one low end and one high end... If the high end one has the dual pixel technology of the 70D, this would make a VERY capable Eos-M camera as it should address almost all of the complaints of the original EOS-M.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »
I say be patient.... There is a strong rumor that canon will announce a pair of eos-m cameras sometime in September, one low end and one high end... If the high end one has the dual pixel technology of the 70D, this would make a VERY capable Eos-M camera as it should address almost all of the complaints of the original EOS-M.

Might take a while for the price to drop to 400 tho...

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
$400?  Are you kidding?

This is Canon we're talking about...  ;D

Unless of course we're assuming launch disaster mkII
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
$400?  Are you kidding?

This is Canon we're talking about...  ;D

Unless of course we're assuming launch disaster mkII

Give it 2 years.  Consumer models are updated much more frequently, even if they don't bring much additional functionality (i.e. T5i vs. T4i).

kjay27

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
Using your criteria, I'd recommend a prosumer type camera that's more easily pocketable than the eos-m.  Most of them are capable of having their shutter speed, aperture, zoom, and ISO set similar to what you would do on a dslr or mirrorless camera, and consequently you'd be better prepared to upgrade to a dslr or mirrorless when you are financially more able to do that in the future.

GmwDarkroom

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »
I just want something as portable as my cell phone, but better picture quality than a phone or cheaper point and shoot. Mainly I want to use it when I go out, but if I'm going somewhere where I'll want good pictures i'll just bring my big rig.
I haven't actually tried to put an EOS M with a lens in my pocket, but from what I've seen in person I'd think that with the lens attached the M is not going to fit in any non-cargo pocket.

I may get pounced on for this, but have you considered the S95/S100/S110/S120 line for your needs or even another maker's compact?  I got my wife an S95 about a year ago which I found on the outlet table at Crutchfield for less than $200.  It takes pictures far better quality than its size-class peers.  Shoots in RAW and the S100/S110/S120 have CMOS, not CCD, sensors, so I'm guessing the quality is even better.  I regularly grab it for the same situations where I don't want to cart my DSLR around.

Down side is that it's fixed lens and ISO noise creeps in sooner.  However it fits your pocket requirements far better than an EOS M.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
have you considered the S95/S100/S110/S120 line for your needs or even another maker's compact?  I got my wife an S95 about a year ago which I found on the outlet table at Crutchfield for less than $200.  It takes pictures far better quality than its size-class peers.  Shoots in RAW and the S100/S110/S120 have CMOS, not CCD, sensors, so I'm guessing the quality is even better.  I regularly grab it for the same situations where I don't want to cart my DSLR around.

Down side is that it's fixed lens and ISO noise creeps in sooner.  However it fits your pocket requirements far better than an EOS M.

Agreed, the Sxxx series is much more pocketable than the EOS-M.  Roughly 1/2 the size of than the M+22/2.  The S cameras do have very good image quality for a P&S and being RAW capable is a plus.  However, the sensor is much smaller than the M's APS-C sensor:

Size     Width   Length   
APC-C  22.20     14.80    
S100       7.60       5.70    

Sxxx IQ is pretty good but cannot compare with what you get from the EOS-M. 

So, the decision depends on how important size and pocket-ability is vs. IQ.  I went the IQ route by keeping the M and selling my S100.  For the OP and others the decision may be different.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:27:00 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »

GmwDarkroom

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
No arguments on that at all.

I just zeroed in on the OP desire for something pocket-able and that he wasn't so much after the same IQ as his DSLR.  An EOS M is a purse or bag camera, not a pocket camera.

imasquare

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 02:39:51 AM »

I just zeroed in on the OP desire for something pocket-able and that he wasn't so much after the same IQ as his DSLR.  An EOS M is a purse or bag camera, not a pocket camera.

It depends on pocket size, it fits nicely in my puffer jacket or motorcycle jacket pockets. When I'm out motorcycling it's much easier to whip the M+22 out of my pocket than to unbuckle the saddle bags and whip out the DSLR. I can fit the 18-55 in my other jacket pocket if needed, it's a bit troublesome to have M+18-55 in my pocket, getting it out is tricky.

Sometimes wish I had the new SX280HS, cheaper than M and comes with GPS/WiFi. However the IQ and sheer fun of the 22mm prime make it a joy to use.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »

It depends on pocket size, it fits nicely in my puffer jacket or motorcycle jacket pockets. When I'm out motorcycling it's much easier to whip the M+22 out of my pocket than to unbuckle the saddle bags and whip out the DSLR. I can fit the 18-55 in my other jacket pocket if needed, it's a bit troublesome to have M+18-55 in my pocket, getting it out is tricky.

Sometimes wish I had the new SX280HS, cheaper than M and comes with GPS/WiFi. However the IQ and sheer fun of the 22mm prime make it a joy to use.

I agree, the M is not a jeans front pocket camera.  But, as Imasquare pointed out it fits fine in a jacket pocket.  Where I live we wear jackets 5-6 months out of the year so its very pocket-able in those months. 

I normally carry mine in a Dashport 20 belt pack, which works very well.
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »

I agree, the M is not a jeans front pocket camera.  At least not unless you wear extremely loose/baggy jeans.  :)  But, as Imasquare pointed out it fits fine in a jacket pocket.  Where I live we wear jackets 5-6 months out of the year so its very pocket-able in those months. 

I normally carry mine in a Dashport 20 belt pack, which works very well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:59:16 AM by bholliman »

imasquare

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:16 AM »
Although it's hard to quantify it or qualify it, would anyone else agree that the EOS-M is more 'fun' than the Sxxx models and a higher keep rate? I'd probably say it's more 'fun' to use than my DSLRs as well.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
I'm generally dissatisified with my powershot sx230 for anything other than cursory snaps.

If I go in too close with the crop it's ghastly.

EOS M is much more fun and results much more satisfying.

On the flipside my girlfriends IXUS 107 is a joy to use, simple, reliable, great images within context.  I think the powershot sx230 is trying to be too many things, and the interface is horrific.  It lives in my glove box in case of a smash, or wee grabbed pics along the way.

Other than that my powershot experience dates back to the s40, or my camera retail days. 

Can vouch that the M with 22 lens is terrific fun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »

Jixr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »
Sorry, let me clear up my definition of "pocketable"

Yes nearly all mirrorless cameras won't fit in your typical jean front pocket, but if I can stuff it in my back pocket or my often worn cargo shorts pockets ( with or without the lens attached ) then its will work for me. ( though i'll probably put a clip on it so I can just clip it to my belt or whatever when i'm out.

Mainly I want something I can carry around with me, as I often see things where I wish I had a camera, and my phone just won't cut it. ( for example a car crash today with the car on fire ) ( no one was in the car and police were on the scene but still cool to see )

and just to also clear up I do have a T3i with 5 len's and a battery pack, so basically anything smaller than that will be good for me.

I'm still looking at a nikon s1, as its cheap and has pretty good reviews, I originally was very interested in the M but the more I look at it I don't think its for me ( unless I can find a used one cheap ) as i'm not really looking at a DSLR picture quality level, but just a small portable camera in general. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the camera shop and talk to a different sales guy and see what he recomends for my needs. If he points me to the same camera as the other guy I feel comfortable with buying it. ( and i'll bring my own SD card so I can take the pictures home to check out the quality on my computer.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:24:43 PM by Jixr »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
I do have a T3i with 5 len's and a battery pack, so basically anything smaller than that will be good for me.

I originally was very interested in the M but the more I look at it I don't think its for me ( unless I can find a used one cheap ).

The reason I bought an M instead of a Sony, Olympus, Fuji or Nikon mirrorless camera was computability with my EF lenses via a Canon adapter.  I normally use mine with the EF-M 22/2 lens, but occasionally use my 50 1.4 (portraits) or 70-200 (added reach over my full frame 6D).  New M prices are still really good vs. competing brands as well as you can get kits for $349 or $399 from B&H and others.

Had I been just looking at mirrorless camera systems independent of my Canon DSLR equipment, I may have made a different choice.  But, given the compatability, features and price, the EOS-M was the best option for me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:29:20 AM by bholliman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »