April 23, 2014, 12:26:06 PM

Author Topic: EOS-M or New EF lens?  (Read 5097 times)

Jixr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-M or New EF lens?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
yeah, but add in the cost of the EF adaptor thats $150 for the canon branded one, and since i'm already using a crop body, don't see the point of choosing my T3i over an M with the same lens, as nearly adding on any EF lens ( even the 40mm pancacke ) will basically require you have a bag or strap or something to carry it around in. Which is fine, but not what i'm looking for.

( not to mention that using an EF lens is even slower than the M lens's )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
yeah, but add in the cost of the EF adaptor thats $150 for the canon branded one, and since i'm already using a crop body, don't see the point of choosing my T3i over an M with the same lens, as nearly adding on any EF lens ( even the 40mm pancacke ) will basically require you have a bag or strap or something to carry it around in. Which is fine, but not what i'm looking for.

( not to mention that using an EF lens is even slower than the M lens's )

True, less of an advantage since your DSLR is APS-C.  But, the M is still pretty portable (much smaller than your T3i) with the 40 pancake and smaller EF primes like the 50 1.4.

I only paid $100 for my Canon adapter on eBay.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

Jixr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
I found something that fits all my needs, and kind of hit me by surprise.

- small
- under $400, cheap enough to not get too upset if it breaks.
- Pocketable enough for motorcycle trips
- durable enough to carry around daily
- pictures better than camera phones
- simple
- wide angle

and the answer was... a GoPro

turns out its perfect for me. Sure the image quality of everything you all suggested was better, but as far as the portability and durability of the thing, it is perfect.

Using the single shot picture mode kinda sucks ( probably a good 1-2 seconds after pressing the shutter button will it snap a picture ( 12mp ), but set it on the burst mode ( up to 30fps ) and just select the best one of the group.

Sure there is no manual settings aside from view angle ( wide or normal ) and image size, but it actually preforms quite well for something intended to take vidoes. Still better than most phones, and adds the benifit of video, waterproofing, several mounting options, and all that.

The lack of Screen is one less thing to break, but you can tether your phone and use it as a viewfinder ( though with a good 3-4 second delay )

Thanks for all your suggestions though! Hopefully it will work out.
I have a 15 day return policy on it, but so far i'm loving it. I'll run it through its paces before I decide on keeping it or not.

fxk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
If you want wide, buy a lens that works on your EOS.  The EOS M + 22 is a nice setup, but unless you NEED a small body, buy the lens. 

If you like wide, try the Sigma "Popeye" 12-22.  Very cool rectilinear W-I-D-E lens that can work on an M or a FF body if you want to go that way.  12mm on a FF sensor is really wide.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »