November 26, 2014, 06:10:52 PM

Author Topic: Rumored Sigma Lenses Coming in the Next Year  (Read 12807 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Rumored Sigma Lenses Coming in the Next Year
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
Professionals, please enlighten me. Would not a 24 - 90 2.8 or 28 - 90 2.8 be an "ideal" walk around lens. While I don't shoot full frame, I would imagine a lens of such focal length would be ideal for a general purpose lens given it's 2.8 (as opposed to f4) and is long enough to reach the "ideal" portrait focal length of 85/90mm.
Technically it is possible to make a 24-90mm F2.8 lens, and it is also possible make a 35-70mm F1.8. ::) The question is whether the size, weight and price are competitive to sell well, given the other options in the market. A lens 24-90mm F1.8 is the dream of many people, but if costs $ 4000, weighs 3 lbs and is the size of a juice jug, in fact, would be a nightmare to use it. :'( Not everything that can be done must be done. ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:39:38 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »

kobeson

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
The 24-105mm looks interesting to me.  Canon's 'L' comparable model has never impressed me.

Me too - with image quality up to Sigma's recent lenses, this could be a great release and you would think it would be priced below Canon's 24-70f4.

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »
If this happens. Wow, .. Having lenses I can change the mount on is a dream lens.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »
Unless and until these Sigma lenses are able to focus reliably on any Canon camera body I throw at them, I have no interest. Speaking from my recent experience with Sigma AF.

sushyam

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
Although not on the list, maybe a 400mm f5.6 before canon updates  its version to V2.0? :)

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
Here's hoping 50 f1.4 ART is sharp at f/1.4.

baldaran

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:54 AM »
Technically it is possible to make a 24-90mm F2.8 lens, and it is also possible make a 35-70mm F1.8. ::)

I really would like to see a Sigma 35-70 F2.0 APS-C lens as companion for the 18-35. Would be really useful for portraits. Do you think it is possible to realize such a lens at the same (or even lower) weight and size as the 18-35 lens?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:54 AM »

untitled10

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »
A 24-70 2.0 would be big and heavy. Maybe they will make a 24-50 2.0 to keep price and weight down.

I would personally prefer an think would be more feasible, a 35-70mm
I if you need to go to 24 you might as well use a specific wide angle zoom, general zooms used to start at 35 anyway, do we need to go any wider for a portrait, or even many common landscapes?

Chris Jankowski

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:18 AM »
Professionals, please enlighten me. Would not a 24 - 90 2.8 or 28 - 90 2.8 be an "ideal" walk around lens. While I don't shoot full frame, I would imagine a lens of such focal length would be ideal for a general purpose lens given it's 2.8 (as opposed to f4) and is long enough to reach the "ideal" portrait focal length of 85/90mm.
I am not a professional, but I'll get a shot at answering.
If we are talking about a high quality FF lens, then a FF 24-90/F2.8 would need to weigh between 1kg and 1.2kg minimum.  It follows that this would not be a "walkabout" lens, as such lense by definition needs to be smaller, lighter and unobtrusive.  The industry has responded to this demand long time ago - in the film days.  The best choices tend to be 24-105/F3.5-4.5 or 24-105/F4.  They tend to weigh from 400g to 600g and are really a good walkabout compromise.
Note that, as the ISO sensitivity of the sensors increased enormously with modern sensors, the absolute need of having bright lens decreased.  When all you had was a nominal 64 ISO film and no lens stabilisation then the difference between F2.8 and F4 might have been of a shot or no shot. Today you can get serviceable photo at ISO 12,800. 
On the other hand the demand for better sharpness and contrast from full aperture opening and across the whole image field and for all focal length is now very strong - again driven by the excellent, high resolution sensors.
I am hoping that the rumored Sigma 24-105/F4 lens will be exactly like this - sharp and high contrast from F4 across the whole image and for all focal lengths.  And if it had stabilisation then it would be my ideal lens.
By the way, your ideal focal length for portrait 85/90mm is not the same as my ideal focal length for portrait - 135mm.  Again, this points to the fact that there is no such thing as an "ideal" lens.  They are designed and manufactured mechano-optical devices and like all technical solutions each carries its own set of trade-offs.  The art is to select a device that fits your real needs and budget.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 03:35:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure that if your aim was to keep costs down then the widest focal length should be no shorter than 40mm, as going less than that means adding retrofocus lenses. Ideally they would make a full frame 50-150 to go with their current crop only model.
Just to cover my base needs even 50-80f2 would still be great.
-100% RAW-

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure that if your aim was to keep costs down then the widest focal length should be no shorter than 40mm, as going less than that means adding retrofocus lenses. Ideally they would make a full frame 50-150 to go with their current crop only model.

Say, isn't 40mm or 50mm somewhat long as your minimum focal length? Okay, I admit I am shooting at 24mm pretty often so I may be somewhat biased here, but what's your setup for going wide or your use case for not going any wider than 40mm? It is clear that from a lens design standpoint a normal-to medium tele lens would have some advantages, but for me a general purpose lens must be a 24-something. How do you deal with that more limited focal length range?

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
Technically it is possible to make a 24-90mm F2.8 lens, and it is also possible make a 35-70mm F1.8. ::) The question is whether the size, weight and price are competitive to sell well, given the other options in the market. A lens 24-90mm F1.8 is the dream of many people, but if costs $ 4000, weighs 3 lbs and is the size of a juice jug, in fact, would be a nightmare to use it. :'( Not everything that can be done must be done. ;)

Personally I think of the 70-300mm L as a walk around lens so if there could be a 24-70 f2 at about that size and weight (1050g), have smooth bokeh and cost about $1400 I would be happy with that.  Personally I love my copy of the 24-105 so It would take more than one stop of aperture to get me to switch especially with the smaller zoom range. 

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

Say, isn't 40mm or 50mm somewhat long as your minimum focal length? Okay, I admit I am shooting at 24mm pretty often so I may be somewhat biased here, but what's your setup for going wide or your use case for not going any wider than 40mm? It is clear that from a lens design standpoint a normal-to medium tele lens would have some advantages, but for me a general purpose lens must be a 24-something. How do you deal with that more limited focal length range?

As far as taking pictures of people goes, you definitely don't want to go much shorter. I guess 35mm is common enough for street shots, but 40mm still gets plenty of area around your subject. Just a few days ago I got a nice shot indoors with multiple people using the Pancake, I didn't run out of room and the people didn't look distorted.
If I want something too much wider than that chances are it's a panorama and I would do almost as well stitching photos together. I know it's ugly, but it can also do things a single lens can't. This kind of reminds me of the dynamic range debate (if you don't have enough just take multiple exposures).
I can definitely see it being nice to go wider but as far as capturing things from a normal human perspective goes 40-50mm is lots.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
Most of the OEM lens designers are on one of about 4 teams, a team might be working on more than one lens, but there is a very limited ability to churn out a bunch of different designs each year. 

I'd say that Sigma has likely built up numerous lens design teams.  This takes time and money to do, so its not something a Canon or Nikon can suddenly match.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Love to see a release of a Sigma 135 f1.8 OS and comparison with the canon 135 f/2. If good enough, I may exchange my canon 135 with the sigma. Also curious about the 50 f/1.4 Art. I loved the original sigma 50 f/1.4 on the APS-C (did not have focus issues) but disliked it on the FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »