April 16, 2014, 04:10:43 PM

Author Topic: CPS Changes  (Read 4669 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: CPS Changes
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
Good observations and examples, Neuro.  The same thing applies in IT - I was a freelance web designer until the offshore people starting building entire websites for $50 instead of the $4,000 I was charging.  You always have the keep ahead of the curve.  Speaking of which, if you're shooting any products designed in CAD/CAM, the bell is tolling for thee:  http://petapixel.com/2012/08/24/ikea-slowly-shedding-photography-in-favor-of-computer-renders/

From the linked article:

Of the two images above, one of them is a computer render and one of them is an actual photograph. Can you tell which is which? If you can’t, why should IKEA?

Actually I could tell.  It's kind of like the 'spot the 5 things wrong with this image' puzzles.  In this case, most of the goofs are about light and shadow (both strength and direction) - you know, those things that make a photograph, well...a photograph.  Some reflection issues, too.

But having said that, if I just ran across the CG image in the catalog, none of those errors are things that I'd be likely to notice in passing.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
But having said that, if I just ran across the CG image in the catalog, none of those errors are things that I'd be likely to notice in passing.
That's with a complex scene, too, and you're right most people wouldn't pay too much attention.  With simple stuff, say a new lens, cell phone, etc., the entire product is designed in a CAD system and I've seen numerous "product shots" that are pure CGI, but look like they were shot in a studio.  I seriously doubt Sony, Apple, or the like will ever pay for another "basic" product shot on a simple background.  If you photograph antiques or art for Sotheby's or something, you're probably okay, though!
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
TS-E 24 3.5L II :: Extender 1.4x III | 2x III :: EF-M 22 2 | 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
All good points neuro and mackguyver...  Things are constantly changing and evolving.  Professional photographers are evolving into visual journalists with video and photography, just selling photography services is almost not good enough in this market unless you are that .5 percentile photographer who has the reputation to get away with it.  I saw lots of photographers disappear in the beginning of the digital era because they failed to adapt, and now it's doing the same.  Unfortunately, we as photographers have really done this to ourselves and allowed it to happen.  Lots of Photographers over the last several years claimed "i wont lose business to a shoot and burn amateur" and then the next month they are looking for a job somewhere else.  Plus, what amateurs dont understand is for every bride that hires a photographer for a song and a dance, that affects not only the brides expectations and thoughts on photography, but the bridesmaids, her other friends, family, etc...  As that spreads, it means less people would be willing to pay professional prices and then less work for everyone, OR, photographers have to lower their prices, work more, just to get the same income.  The same thing is happening here on CPS... the more people joining, less gear for canon to distribute (for free) and so they cut back everyones access. 

Those digtal renderings are very cool...  thankfully not many companies have the budget and expertise to pull stuff like this off. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

That's with a complex scene, too, and you're right most people wouldn't pay too much attention.  With simple stuff, say a new lens, cell phone, etc., the entire product is designed in a CAD system and I've seen numerous "product shots" that are pure CGI, but look like they were shot in a studio.  I seriously doubt Sony, Apple, or the like will ever pay for another "basic" product shot on a simple background.  If you photograph antiques or art for Sotheby's or something, you're probably okay, though!

http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/08/apples-product-photographer-interviewed/

Peter Belanger would not be too happy about that =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/08/apples-product-photographer-interviewed/

Peter Belanger would not be too happy about that =)

I knew someone would bring that up!  I think he may be the last of that breed, though, now that NVidia's Mental Ray technology and others are out there.  These Mercedes ads look pretty good to me, especially the 3rd one:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mercedes-benz.html
tech behind it:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-mental-ray.html
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
They learned the craft up until they can go out on their own and compete toe to toe with their masters, but it isn't the way it is anymore...  Now you have the instant gratification with digital and the skill level isn't where it should be for a professional industry.

Photography as an art form exists, and will likely remain.  Granted, it's not necessarily a way to make a living, any more than being a fine art painter (the increase in value after the artist dies doesn't help put food on the table). 

But it's certainly true that event photography appears to be on the way out.  That's happened to many 'professional industries' over the years, as technology advances. 

You're a photographer with a business to run.  If you're like many small business owners, you use QuickBooks or similar software, rather than paying an accountant; you do much of your banking electronically (e.g., instant check deposits from an iPhone).  In your personal life, you may use a self checkout line at the grocery or hardware store.  When was the last time you dialed '0' for operator assistance in looking up a phone number?  Those are all examples of easy, convenient technology being placed in the hands of the consumer, and have a side effect of obviating part of the labor force. 

Now, 'Uncle Bob' with a Rebel can churn out 'decent' images suitable for enlargement.  But in most cases, no one even wants them enlarged.  They want them on Facebook, and they want them uploaded immediately.  They're not going to be viewed as a print hung on a wall, or even on a large, color-calibrated monitor...they're going to be viewed on a smartphone.
But in most cases, no one even wants them enlarged.  They want them on Facebook, and they want them uploaded immediately.  They're not going to be viewed as a print hung on a wall, or even on a large, color-calibrated monitor...they're going to be viewed on a smartphone.
Indeed, my last event from last year was a large Christmas event for a huge Florida Corporation.  I delivered the images in digital form, High Res as requested and before I got back to my office, they had called to complain that the images wouldn't load on FB and they were having difficulty mailing the 500 plus images to other employees, etc...

I told them that they were formatted at the best resolution for the printing and they said that they didn't care about printing, they just wanted to get them on the web!  I obliged of course with smaller lower res image files but was kind of surprised. 

Part of the event was about 75-80 kids that had their photos taken with Santa (or a close double).  I assumed they were having 8x10's or 5x7's printed of the kids and were giving them to the parents as part of the event package.  They said they didn't need to print any out, they were just going to email the parents the kid/santa photos! :o
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
I delivered the images in digital form, High Res as requested and before I got back to my office, they had called to complain that the images wouldn't load on FB and they were having difficulty mailing the 500 plus images to other employees, etc...
LOL, that's classic!  I always throw a folder of 800x1200 or smaller sRGB photos in a "Web" folder on anything I deliver to my clients for that very reason.  I have an action in Photoshop that I use with the Image Processor tool to resize, convert to sRGB, and sharpen for web use that I run to do this.
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
Per the CPS Terms & Conditions (http://www.cps.act.cusa.canon.com/sys/attachments/terms_conditions_revised_2012.pdf):
"Applicant must be a full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images."

So I call myself a self-employed photographer and create still images. Oh yea, and I don't currently get paid for my work because I'm "an artist". I don't think they care all that much, as long as I don't obviously abuse any bit of the program.

Yeah, that would work.  I can also rationalize that I am an employee of a professional imaging business for which I create still images (never mind that I'm using Zeiss cameras to do that!). 

But mostly it's that I haven't needed it.  I can clean my own sensor (and Canon just saved me the trouble with a free clean when I took it in for the lubrication recall).  OTOH, taking it in made me realize that it's pretty easy for me to do that a few times per year (I'm in NJ for business pretty often, and the Jamesburg service center is just a 20 minute drive from where I often need to be).  The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.
The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.
++1 about that! 
Guess I better get my repairs in before 4th quarter gets here!

The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.
++1 about that! 
Guess I better get my repairs in before 4th quarter gets here![/quote]
I did get my 100-400mm in for repair before the 4th quarter began and I'm glad!  $535 repair, AF system wacked, IS system totally shot and had to be replaced completely! 

I'm a Gold member and didn't realize I got the 30% discount on parts as well as the repair service, so I was very happy that my $535 repair was only $372 including the overnight shipping back to me!  They had it on Monday, late afternoon, I had it back on Friday by 10am!!  Very pleased! 

Oh, on a side note, I had to change my MFA settings for the lens back to zero after getting the lens back!  I guess they must have re-calibrated it too along with the cleaning and etc... Again, quite pleased...  8)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
I delivered the images in digital form, High Res as requested and before I got back to my office, they had called to complain that the images wouldn't load on FB and they were having difficulty mailing the 500 plus images to other employees, etc...
LOL, that's classic!  I always throw a folder of 800x1200 or smaller sRGB photos in a "Web" folder on anything I deliver to my clients for that very reason.  I have an action in Photoshop that I use with the Image Processor tool to resize, convert to sRGB, and sharpen for web use that I run to do this.
Yes, I do something similar for all my individual and family clients as well as commercial clients when requested.  The problem was, when I interviewed them before accepting the assignment, they specifically stated that they only wanted images for print, not web! 

Somewhere along the way, they changed their minds (possibly not liking my print prices on the website) and just wanted the smaller sRGB images!  They had an option in my agreement to order and print from my site or get them printed themselves... Happily, they still paid the originally agreed amount as they felt it was an inconvenience to me...

I was obviously fine with that as they promptly booked this year's affair after they saw last years images, with a modest COL increase of course! 
Ken

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
A client changing their mind - never!  That's a funny story, and I had a client who wanted big images, but then used them at a 1" x 1.5" size.  Then they came back and wanted 40"x60" prints about 6 months later.  They paid well each time, though :), just like your experience.  I thought it was funny that you couldn't even get back to the office before they called.
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
A client changing their mind - never!  That's a funny story, and I had a client who wanted big images, but then used them at a 1" x 1.5" size.  Then they came back and wanted 40"x60" prints about 6 months later.  They paid well each time, though :), just like your experience.  I thought it was funny that you couldn't even get back to the office before they called.
Yes, that's the part that had me in stitches too!  I wasn't gone from their office over 5 minutes when the call came in from them, with their facebook difficulties!  I could just picture them, all gathered around one desk, looking at the images and trying to load them on FB!  I did get a giggle out of it myself!  :D
Ken

fxk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Per the CPS Terms & Conditions (http://www.cps.act.cusa.canon.com/sys/attachments/terms_conditions_revised_2012.pdf):
"Applicant must be a full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images."

Anyone can call themselves a pro - there isn't a test or license.
Full-time self-employed individual would rule out anyone with a real "day job" i.e., 40 hrs, 5/week. 
Self employed also infers one is paying the bills through their art - art as a small business.
IRS says one must show profit 3 out of the last 5 tax years.

So an amateur is "cheating" CPS - or is Canon "screwing" the rest of us amateur, part-timers, artists, teachers, and whoever else with their ridiculous service charges.

On points, I more than qualify.  I'd love to have my equipment cleaned and calibrated occasionally - but one body is the cost of a Gold membership.

Sheesh...  >:(

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Anyone can call themselves a pro - there isn't a test or license.
Yep, they don't audit or anything, I was just quoting the official line :)

One body is the cost of a Gold membership.
I don't understand what you mean - it's $100/year for Gold.
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »