December 18, 2014, 04:07:15 PM

Author Topic: 4 weeks in South East Asia with the EOS M as 2nd Body  (Read 5632 times)

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 4 weeks in South East Asia with the EOS M as 2nd Body
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »
Between shots I hit the play button and leave a photo on the M's screen, treating it like a "touch screen off" button. I have also set a short screen blackout time to minimize the battery impact. I never have any problems with changed settings or random shots thanks to this, but at the same time the camera is instantly available when it's time to shoot.

Good idea, but unfortunately it only works whilst the screen is on.  After it blacks out, touching the screen wakes the camera up, and you're back to square one.

Like others I would far prefer having the option to disable the touch screen, but meanwhile I resort to turning the camera off to avoid the problem.  I think that disabling auto sensor cleaning speeds things up a bit - I just do a "Clean the sensor now" when I change lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
Between shots I hit the play button and leave a photo on the M's screen, treating it like a "touch screen off" button. I have also set a short screen blackout time to minimize the battery impact. I never have any problems with changed settings or random shots thanks to this, but at the same time the camera is instantly available when it's time to shoot.

Good idea, but unfortunately it only works whilst the screen is on.  After it blacks out, touching the screen wakes the camera up, and you're back to square one.

When I first read that I assumed you had to be wrong because I've never had the camera wake while hanging against my shirt after screen blackout. I just tested it and you're right, but it seems less sensitive while the screen is asleep. A finger tap wakes it but just hanging against my shirt does not. If I purposely put some pressure on it against my shirt it will wake. Hmmm...

It has solved the problem for me, but potentially you could still discover that the M has come to life, changed settings, and taken some shots while walking.

Ahhh Canon...how did you miss this one? Didn't any testers point it out?  ???

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
I think that disabling auto sensor cleaning speeds things up a bit - I just do a "Clean the sensor now" when I change lenses.

Agreed. I have auto cleaning off.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
this is a very on topic post for me as I am sitting in my hotel room now in Malaysia writing this with my M as my second body(to my D700.)
so far, I think the M is pretty cool. The battery does die rather quickly and I do need to make sure to turn it off after every use otherwise it will take many, many, many unwanted photos.
I only have the 22mm lens at the moment, but I just ordered the 11-22 a few days ago from Amazon.com.cn for $360(I live in China and my Chinese cousin in law spotted me this deal on the Chinese version of slickdeals!!!)
I am very happy to hear more positive reviews about this lens combo. My wife loves using this camera, and the video is great. I also really enjoy taking it out and about when i'm not in the mood to carry the uber heavy D700 and 24-70 2.8(which takes amazingly awesome photos!)
Does anyone have any advice on AF settings for the M? I'd love some input on the best settings you guys have found for the AF? Thanks in advance!
Also, how do you permanently disable the touch to shoot feature? I like it sometimes, but it always switches on and off without me noticing.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »
how do you permanently disable the touch to shoot feature?

Either press the play button (but see above for associated issues) or turn the camera off.  But these are work-arounds. I'm afraid there's no way to disable it properly.

ashmadux

• EOS M2
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
I tried the turn off method as well. It stinks. The camera doesn't actually fully power on and be able to quickly focus (even with a preset saved AF area) fast enough to catch moments.

Be the best you, screw everything else.

bperrey

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
The simplest way to control the touch-to-expose button is to press the Info button several times until there is nothing on the screen but the image and focus area. Then, if you have set the touch to Off, you cannot turn it on inadvertently, and if it is On it still works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing your hands-on, real-world experience!
Some great insights and tips are coming from this.

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
bperrey, you're right, I didn't think of that!  It's also the simplest way to stop changing settings inadvertently whilst carrying the camera around - just keep an eye on the focus area, which might be changed by an accidental touch.  Thanks for sharing.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »

Now I'm looking forward to the day when EVFs and on chip AF are good enough that they can finally replace OVFs. If I had "live view" on my 7D I don't think I would ever shoot in anything but manual mode.

The EVFs on the latest M43 cameras - Panasonic G6 & GX7, Olympus OM-D E-M1 (& latest separate EVF) - have such high resolution that they evidently look almost as good as OVFs and in some ways are better than those of most DSLRs, including coverage and magnification.  See here, for instance (scroll down a bit):

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/3

As it is, the EVF on my OM-D E-M5 impresses me.  No, what you see through its viewfinder isn't as attractive as what you see through an OVF, and so long as you have the shutter half-pressed you won't notice if the scene changes, but if nothing else the ability to change exposure by merely turning a dial while you look through the viewfinder and see the effect of each change as you turn the dial makes getting the exposure right a much quicker process.

As for all the workarounds needed to make the EOS-M anything but a trial to use: I agree that the images it makes can be excellent, probably better than any current Canon APS-C bar the 70D (aside from high ISO performance I'm especially impressed by how its auto white balance copes with awkward combinations of indoor lighting), but for me they're not worth the annoyance and inconvenience.  (And in addition to everything mentioned in this thread, focusing on specific, small things is tedious and unreliable.)  It's rather incongruous, given that for my taste Canon's DSLRs have the best ergonomics by far of any I've used.  For now I'll stick with them and my M43 cameras and add my EOS-M to those on ebay.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on AF settings for the M? I'd love some input on the best settings you guys have found for the AF? Thanks in advance!

I have mine set to FlexiShot Single, One Shot AF, with AF on the AE lock button instead of the shutter.

Also, how do you permanently disable the touch to shoot feature? I like it sometimes, but it always switches on and off without me noticing.

You can't permanently turn it off. The screen is rubbing against you that this setting is being changed on you. Try the Play trick I mentioned above. A touch does wake the screen, but it doesn't seem to register my shirt when it's blank the way it does when it's on.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
The simplest way to control the touch-to-expose button is to press the Info button several times until there is nothing on the screen but the image and focus area. Then, if you have set the touch to Off, you cannot turn it on inadvertently, and if it is On it still works.
very good advice, i hadn't thought of this, but it seems like the simplest most efficient workaround(although it might confuse my wife.) Thanks for the tip!

For those saying these inconveniences make the M not worth the trouble, I would wholeheartedly disagree(at least at the price I paid.)
I think the M is a real solid camera, very well built and it seems to take photos and video at least as good as my 550D. Having the M, the 22mm F2 lens, and the a solid wide angle lens for around 700 bucks is a great travel setup. It's not the best out there, and if I was a pro(who did quick moving subjects) I wouldn't use it, but for my purposes, it's more than I could ask for. I don't really feel the image quality, AF, or lenses from other APS-C mirrorless systems is better enough to justify the giant increase in price from what I paid for the M. I'm very happy with it as my backup body, or possibly even my only body when I travel to India this winter(i'm really sick of carrying my FF DSLR and 24-70 2.8... it's just too big and heavy for backpacking.)
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »