August 22, 2014, 12:24:27 PM

Author Topic: Canon USA Changes the CPS Program  (Read 9792 times)

Sauropod

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon USA Changes the CPS Program
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
I live in Arizona and all of my loaned equipment has come from, and had to be shipped back to, Virginia.

On the old plan we could rent the same lens twice a year.  I wonder if I will be able to request a "back to back"? 

The long eval period directly resulted in my purchasing the 200 f/2.0, 24-70 II, and the 400 f/2.8.  It also ended up  putting the 1DX and the 800mm on my list for future purchases (ok, I'll be honest, I'll probably wait for the 800 II, that thing is heavy!).  Had I only tested the lenses for 1 or 2 days I wouldn't have been able to simulate actual ownership.  I wouldn't have had time to hit the zoos and the outdoor areas I frequent.  I can say I likely would have passed on the 400 if I hadn't used it in multiple locations as I was on the edge of justifying using different lenses with 1.4x/2.0x tc iiis and save the money. 

Recently when I request CPS product I have taken to requesting "X or Y, whichever is available first" and have had a steady stream of lenses to demo.  I have the 300 coming soon and can't wait! 

Digitally tracking my cleanings is a nice to have and I (knock on wood) haven't had to leverage their repair facility yet.  The eval program was really the biggest benefit to myself.  Shipping product, insured, back to Virginia is spendy but with the long eval period I felt it was worth it.  If it was a true 5 day eval, where the clock starts when I receive the lens and stops when I send it back, I think I could live with that.  I can't (hope is more like it) believe with the new plan they would include to and from freight days as part of the loan as by reducing the overall loan time by a week, even with shipping, they enable a quicker inventory turn versus today's system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
Sauropod, from my communications with CPS, that is exactly what they are thinking, clock starts the moment the equipment leaves their shipping dept and ends when they receive it. Exactly what they currently do but it's with 2 weeks giving you a hair over a week after shipping. So if that sounds bad to you, email the link I posted.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: there goes the eval feature
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
What they're doing is essentially eliminating the evaluation benefit for us Gold CPS members.
So what's left?

They aren't eliminating it from the gold members, they are eliminating it from everyone.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
Called CPS today and they can't yet say if the new discount rate applies to recently renewed accounts.  Guess I missed some small print about terms being changed at any time.  Guess I'm lucky to still be getting 20% off.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
So - Good News!!!  I think all our anger got to them, because I just received this from CPS:

I understand you are frustrated with the upcoming changes to the CPS Program and, I would like to address your concerns regarding the CPS Evaluation Loans.  The length of the loan period is being changed to one week, as the email stated however, this will not include the time for shipping as the current loan program does.  This change will allow you to have the loaner equipment in your hands for one week.

5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
So - Good News!!!  I think all our anger got to them, because I just received this from CPS:

I understand you are frustrated with the upcoming changes to the CPS Program and, I would like to address your concerns regarding the CPS Evaluation Loans.  The length of the loan period is being changed to one week, as the email stated however, this will not include the time for shipping as the current loan program does.  This change will allow you to have the loaner equipment in your hands for one week.

Sweet... now the question is does that include return shipping as well... and how do they enforce length of return shipment (i.e. ground vs 2 day vs overnight)....  but at least this is a step in the right direction and showing they are actually listening. 

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »

Sweet... now the question is does that include return shipping as well... and how do they enforce length of return shipment (i.e. ground vs 2 day vs overnight)....  but at least this is a step in the right direction and showing they are actually listening.

A week plus shipping time is an improvement.  Not ideal but better

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Yea, that's not so bad.

And as far as I recall from the couple times I've used the program, you have to pay for return shipping (plus any insurance if you want to be safe). I'm betting that part hasn't changed, but it's always been that way so it's a wash.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

A week in hand sounds pretty reasonable...except for those of us with a day job, perhaps.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

A week in hand sounds pretty reasonable...except for those of us with a day job, perhaps.  ;)

We'll just have to make sure we get it Thursday so we can spend the entire weekend shooting with it.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

Sauropod

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
Below is what CPS sent me at 9:36am EST.  I am hoping Keithfullermusic's note was from later on in the day and that CPS altered their stance.

Last night I emailed "Does this mean you will start counting the evaluation period from when I receive the lens and end it when I send the lens back?  Do weekends count?  Lastly will you have a demo pool in California?"

Their answer:
"The loan start on the day it ships and ends on the due date, which is the date we would need it back in our hands.  To answer you second question, weekends do count as days toward your loan request. So if we ship on Friday you do lose the two days even though Fed Ex does not deliver on those days. To get the most out of the request the best ship day would be Wednesday for arrival Friday as we use FedEx 2 day service, if the item is available.

Loans will only be shipped and processed through our VA loan facility."

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 02:26:40 AM »
Below is what CPS sent me at 9:36am EST.  I am hoping Keithfullermusic's note was from later on in the day and that CPS altered their stance.

Last night I emailed "Does this mean you will start counting the evaluation period from when I receive the lens and end it when I send the lens back?  Do weekends count?  Lastly will you have a demo pool in California?"

Their answer:
"The loan start on the day it ships and ends on the due date, which is the date we would need it back in our hands.  To answer you second question, weekends do count as days toward your loan request. So if we ship on Friday you do lose the two days even though Fed Ex does not deliver on those days. To get the most out of the request the best ship day would be Wednesday for arrival Friday as we use FedEx 2 day service, if the item is available.

Loans will only be shipped and processed through our VA loan facility."

Hmmm...sounds like some major confusion is going on. Let me send off an email to see if I can get yet another opinion.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
Ok, heard back from them (3:06am PT) and got the following:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.

The 7 days starts when you receive the item.  Shipping time is not included in your 1 week of evaluation.

We hope that clears things up for you.  Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

So another confirmation for 7 days starting when receiving.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

Sauropod

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »
And one more follow up.  CPS reads the forum!  They recognized my pasted email response from them and sent me a note of clarification which is posted below.  I am impressed they took the time to clarify the conditions and I can live with a 10 day total eval.  Thanks CR and thanks Canon!

"I came across your post on Canon Rumors and I see there was still some confusion so I just wanted to clarify. The total loan duration for a evaluation loan will be 10 days total. That does include shipping time. So for instance we always use Fed Ex 2day service to you, which means if we ship the lens out on Monday you will receive it Wednesday so you will technically have it on the 3rd day. Depending on your return shipment method, if you decide to ship it 2day or even economy 3day select you would have it in hand for 5 to 6 days to test.
If we ship on a Friday or Thursday you do lose one or two days as Fed Ex would not deliver a Two day express shipment on those days, so that would cut your in hand time.
Please remember we cannot guarantee shipment on a specific day but will try to come as close as possible to the date requested if available and given the proper advance notice. Gold members require at least two weeks notice, Platinum members receive priority loans which can be as little as 2 to 3 days but is also based on availability.
I hope I was able to clear up any confusion."

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
I just got a new CPS announcement. Basically, they changed the Equipment Evaluation to 10 days from shipping. Since they ship FedEx 2 day, that leaves the remaining 7-8 (depending on delivery day) to evaluate it, and then ship it back to return it to them by X date. So 5-6 days of actual use in most cases. Much better than the previous.

Since announcing the changes to the CPS program a few days ago, we have been monitoring feedback from our membership base. Please see below for additional information regarding the upcoming changes to the CPS program.

Effective Date for the New CPS Benefits Structure
The new CPS member benefit structure will become effective for all members on October 1, 2013.

Equipment Evaluation Loan Period
To allow for transit times, the period for equipment evaluation loans will be ten days, starting when the loaned product is shipped to you and ending when we receive the loaned product back.

Handling of Clean and Check Coupons that Have Not Yet Been Used
From October 1, 2013 until the end of your current membership term, the entire annual Canon Maintenance Service (CMS) benefit will be available for you to use (10 pieces of cameras or lenses for Platinum members and 5 pieces for Gold members). Since the number of CMS transactions allowed under the new benefits structure is greater than the previous number of Clean and Check coupons, the coupons will no longer be needed.

Shipping Charges for Canon Maintenance Service (CMS)
Shipping charges for eligible CMS requests will be handled in the same manner as eligible product repair requests. Platinum level members will receive free shipping for both inbound and return. Gold level members will receive free return shipping service.

Annual Repair Limits
From October 1, 2013 until the end of your current membership term, the entire annual repair limit benefit will be available for you to use (15 pieces for Platinum members and 10 pieces for Gold members).

We appreciate your feedback and understanding while we transition to the new program benefits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »