September 30, 2014, 02:00:15 PM

Author Topic: Camera armor, does it work?  (Read 6178 times)

Jedifarce

Camera armor, does it work?
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:45 AM »
Has anybody tried this, does it work or is it pointless?

http://www.cameraarmor.com/product/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II,51,2.htm

canon rumors FORUM

Camera armor, does it work?
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:45 AM »

ferdi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Camera armor, does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:06:19 AM »
It might work for you if you're the type of person that has "everyday bumps, abrasian, dust and fingerprints".
A good bag like a toploader is much more convenient for me; the 128g extra weight would just get in my way.
And you would still need to have your camera checked if you drop it.
1D IV, 5D III, 5D II, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200L IS II, 300L IS, Σ 50, Σ 85, 1.4x III, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

KBX500

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:32:42 PM »

I like the concept, but the reality won't be as pleasant.
It just looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Based on the product photos I'd say it is going to make
the buttons closest to the rubber harder to activate.
And in order to be able to get the rubber "armor" over
the body it will necessarily fit somewhat loose when
installed, which means the body will slip and shift a bit
inside the rubber when gripping it.

If it's sold at B&H, Adorama or Amazon, I wonder what the
reviews say about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:31:37 PM by KBX500 »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Personally, I will not use it at all. Remember in the film days, almost every mid range and up camera comes with an 'Ever Ready Case"??? It adds bulk and weight to the camera and drown grade the handling of the camera. I never used them. I did not even use them on my M4 and people told me that I am crazy not to use the case with my M4.

drummstikk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
A pristine camera is the surest sign of a photographer who does not get out and take real pictures in the real world where there is real dirt and real rain or occasional impacts with real rocks or real soccer balls.

Get out and use your camera to create great images. Or just get it out and model it as an accessory with your Armany suit and Rolex. Make up yer mind.
"Focused. Or focused not. There is no 'almost.'"

--Yoda (paraphrase)

drummstikk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »
Personally, I will not use it at all. Remember in the film days, almost every mid range and up camera comes with an 'Ever Ready Case"

One of my earliest photo professors mocked this kind of thing as a "Never Ready Case." I guarantee you the guy who got the photo of Oswald getting shot was NOT using one.
"Focused. Or focused not. There is no 'almost.'"

--Yoda (paraphrase)

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »
I bought camera armor once and it made the body way to bulky and cumbersome.  The buttons were annoying, the grip was annoying; it was just weird.  Don't recommend it at all.  The camera is built to take damage, even the Rebels can get a little dinged up. 
Gear! When do we get gear?!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
ewww i would never ruin my camera with that.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
A pristine camera is the surest sign of a photographer who does not get out and take real pictures in the real world where there is real dirt and real rain or occasional impacts with real rocks or real soccer balls.

Get out and use your camera to create great images. Or just get it out and model it as an accessory with your Armany suit and Rolex. Make up yer mind.
All a camera needs is light - you don't have to physically force your environment into the body of the camera to take a picture.  Although that could be something to consider for an upcoming product... Canon?  ;)
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Andreas

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
I used now for more than 3 years with my 50d and it works very well. Buttons are very precise and does not inhibit function and the body is as good as new

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
I've seen it in person, and held it in my hands.  I'm sure it works quite well, but it changed the feel of the camera in a very negative way for me. 

niccyboy

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:29:34 PM »
I had it with my first camera when the 400d first came out.

It changes the feel of the camera a lot, and besides stopping a few scratches, i'm not sure what else it would have protected. I also found the smaller buttons not very responsive. I'm not sure how the wheels would go on the 5d's.

On another camera protection product.. what are everyone's thoughts on Lens Coats?

I haven't used one on any of my Canon gear, but i use them on the 200-400 Nikkor and 600m nikkor lenses that i use for work.

I recently shot in the Himalayas in Kashmir, and wanted some thermal protection for my 70-200is2 and the only colours i could get where army colours, i didn't really want to look like i had a weapon there in these volatile times so i went without.

besides birdwatchers, is there any need for Lenscoats?

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
I can't remember the last time I dropped or bumped any camera... just be careful and mindful in your work. Find the cure instead of the medicine....
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »