August 30, 2014, 06:36:08 PM

Author Topic: Lighting large groups, help needed!  (Read 7115 times)

adebrophy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • xtrashot PR and Photographic
Re: Lighting large groups, help needed!
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 04:07:37 AM »
5D mk ii, 40D, Canon 24-105 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L, Canon 135 f2 L, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L,  Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 600 EX RT, 2x Canon 430ii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 04:07:37 AM »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 08:14:34 AM »
Turns out to be an informative thread, nice advice guys!
And Zv, might I ask where in Japan you're at? I'm in the country as well and do the rare part time shoot for a wedding and portrait. Just curious, and I'm around Kobe/Osaka

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
And Zv, might I ask where in Japan you're at? I'm in the country as well and do the rare part time shoot for a wedding and portrait. Just curious, and I'm around Kobe/Osaka

Cool! I'm around the Nagoya area. I've been to Osaka a few times it's a great place to shoot, loved it!

We're taking a beating from this tropical storm / typhoon this morning!

:(
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Hey guys I would like some advice on a job I'm doing at the end of the month. It's going to be a series of group shots of employees for a company. It's a busy schedule over 2 days and there will be two shots with 30 people. I have pretty much full creative control and the possibility of doing the shots outside the front entrance. They also want about 30 headshots / ID type shots. The images will them be used in a magazine.

I was wondering how you guys would approach this purely from a lighting perspective. Lenses and camera choice is already sorted, no shortages there! However in terms of lighting equipment I only have 2 shoot through umbrellas and 5 speedlites. (1 430exII, 2 YN-560II and just ordered 2 YN-560III)

I was thinking to try bouncing the speedlite off a wall or ceiling but then I keep coming up with more complex set ups with backlighting and all sorts. I think I'm over thinking this especially since the schedule is tight.

There will be about 30 mins max for set up and execution. Then I get driven to a different location - about 4 in total. Since it's multiple locations (all offices) i can't really scout them out and research so am going in blind.

What is your tried and true lighting set up for groups of 8 and groups of 30. Plus what works best for employee head shots?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks!

I've done this a few times
I usually use 2 or 3 speed lights and shoot through umbrellas spread out along the front to provide a wide even spray of light everywhere depends on the group size. for 30 i'd go with 3 speed lights.

or if its windy i've turned the back of an suv into a giant softbox using a 5 in 1 reflector scrim stuck in the back with a few speedlights inside

APS-H Fanboy

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Thanks Wickedwombat I'll aim for three speedlites using umbrellas. Are you using three separate umbrellas on lightstands? Two on one side and one on the other? If there's wind I might see if I can find a couple of people to assist as VALs.

How would you pose thirty people in front of that entrance? (see pic on page 1) I was thinking of rows of 8 or 9 in a sort of diamond config taken from above on a ladder.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My friend is going to try and sort out a pre meeting where I can do more scouting. I have a much clearer idea already though. I've been bouncing speedlites about my living room to get a feel for power levels and what not. I should have more than enough light with white walls and ceiling for groups of eight and individual shots. I can get f/4 at ISO 100 for a subject 4m away at full power through a shoot through brolly. That gives me a nice baseline to help with my calculations and set up.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »

Cool! I'm around the Nagoya area. I've been to Osaka a few times it's a great place to shoot, loved it!

We're taking a beating from this tropical storm / typhoon this morning!

:(

Ah, not too far from here, though I've only been through Nagoya on the way to Tokyo and back....
Yeah the typhoon was strong, it degraded into a tropical storm right before landing I think, and this area got around 500mm of rain but not as hard hit as up your way

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »