October 23, 2014, 02:41:08 AM

Author Topic: Where to buy in Japan  (Read 1356 times)

photography_lover

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Where to buy in Japan
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
I am planning a trip to Japan and I would like to know any recommendations for shops in osaka or kioto to buy a Canon DSLR and lenses. They are much cheaper than in Europe.
Thank you

canon rumors FORUM

Where to buy in Japan
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

Kumakun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy in Japan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
Sorry should have read that more carefully--ok, you are in my neck of the woods (Kansai).  Yodobashi Camera is the big camera megastore--there's a branch in Osaka and Kyoto.  (Both are located near the major train stations so pretty easy to find).  Bring your passport and they will waive the sales tax.  Bic Camera is another big chain; prices pretty similar.  I'll post more later--on train and thumb typing on my iPhone and autocorrect is making this reply a pain.

(Price note--a couple years ago Amazon.jp was the cheapest place to get camera stuff here, but now Amazon and Yodobashi are about the same so think it serves as a reasonable bellwether anyway).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:17:57 AM by Kumakun »

Kumakun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
(Part 2)

Yodobashi (and Bic) will have pretty much all brands, (current) models, new lenses, etc.  This includes mirror-less and compact cameras.  They also have filters, bags, tripods, etc.  (Yodobashi seems to carry more stock than Bic). 

If you are looking for DSLR lenses, there is a "camera outlet center" in the underground level of JR Osaka Station.  (I'm sorry I don't know the name off-hand, but I will check next time I head into Osaka).  They have most Canon lenses "new" (I haven't seen any of the super-telphotos there, but pretty much all the more common focal lengths, tilt-shift, etc.).  The prices are competitive with the big camera stores, and they have a fairly large selection of used lenses.  (My own experience: I did not find the savings on the used lenses compelling and wound up paying a little more for new versions of the lenses.  However, if you are buying multiple lenses, it might make enough of a difference).  This store also sells used camera bodies (digital AND a huge stock of old film SLRs). 

That camera outlet center is not the place to go for mirrorless cameras though--they sell a few kits, but at least the last time I was there they didn't have many lenses (new or used) for any of the systems. 

Some of the old guide-books might talk about used camera shops in "Den-Den Town" (another part of Osaka).  However, over the last few years all the camera shops in Den-Den Town have closed and it has become an anime / manga zone.  If you are interested in anime by all means visit--but don't waste the time going there specifically for camera stuff because there isn't any. 

Finally, if you are interested in Nikon, there is a Nikon Outlet Center at the "Sanda Premium Outlets" just north of Kobe.  You can do a Google search for "Sanda Premium Outlets" for directions, etc.  I only visited once about two years ago, but I wasn't familiar enough with Nikon pricing to draw any conclusions from my visit.  It is kind of far from Osaka and Kyoto, though, so I wouldn't make a special trip there unless you are really keen on Nikon.

Hope at least some of this is helpful; please let me know if you have any questions, and I'll see if I can find out the name of that "outlet center" in JR Osaka Station soon. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »