September 30, 2014, 02:55:25 PM

Author Topic: Sunset Frustration  (Read 4236 times)

kentandersen

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Sunset Frustration
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »
yes its tricky. But, actually there is no light unsuited for good pictures. The trick is to use the eyes to find the motives right there.

The key is to get the exposure right. That is the problem with the first pictures in the thread. Exposure is wrong.

My best advice is to use automatic bracketing. By doing that you will have a better chance to get it right. It is almost impossible to figure out the best exposure by looking at the small lcd screen and the histogram. I prefer taking alot of pictures with different exposure. Then I pick the right one at home.

And always use a tripod, and a remote controll.

But don't always get focused on getting the skyline and horizon. Try out other ways to get motives from sunset.

And the last thing. It is very rare to get a perfect sunset picture without post prosessing it.

Morning in PĂ„lsboda by andersen_kent, on Flickr

morning walk with the family by andersen_kent, on Flickr

sunset in Rugen, Germany by andersen_kent, on Flickr

cows staring by andersen_kent, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:54:39 AM by kentandersen »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:12:07 AM »
I have a buddy in Sweden that lives near the coast that is awesome with his sunny landscapes.

Check them out here:

http://500px.com/Spuute

He uses a 5d3 and 1740 with a 10-stop ND, and recently also a grad-nd.

He often uses 10-15 minutes and up to 40 minutes of exposure time.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:20:46 AM »
Voigtlander 58mm Nokton + 6D, from my front yard.  LR and PS processing.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 04:00:55 AM »
Couple months ago the sky was really crazy color, here's shot I got. Not much tweaking done.

Amazing colors in that photo! Beautiful sky. :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
I am a inpatient photographer.  Last night, there was a brilliant red sunset lighting up half the sky.  I went into the house, mounted my 16-35mmL, and back out to the front yard.  By then, it was mostly gone.  I took 4 or 5 shots a few seconds apart.

I admire those who wait and capture that right moment, but I never seem to make it.

Here are the examples, not processed or enhanced.  you can see how fast that sunset goes away.  less than 30 sec, and I missed about 2 minutes of it.

I'm surprised you would have any trouble shooting sunsets.  A sunset is one of the most photographed subjects there is.  I once had an exchange on a Photo magazine's website, with a photographer who judges photo contests...and had posted an article about how he was extremely tired of looking at sunset photos!   

I don't think it takes that much patience, you just have to be ready to shoot a bit before sunset.  Patience comes when you're standing out there without having applied deet, and you get bit by mosquitos!  It happens to me, sometimes even when I apply a ton of it...

Here's a recent one I shot at 120mm in portrait mode with my Sigma 120-400 zoom lens and my 6D, on a monopod with IS switched off.  I've done better sunset images than this (at various focal lengths from wide to telephoto, and with various cameras), but I still like this one.  It needs a bit more tweaking but it basically looked like this to the naked eye.  I kind of want it to look slightly more extreme...so far edited only in LR.

As you note, timing is the issue, and I'm too impatient to sit down and wait for that golden moment, usually the sky is too clear, and just the right amount of clouds really helps reflect those bright colors.

Sure, If I were determined to get the image, I could do it, but living on a small farm, there is always work to do, particularly in the morning and at sunset.

Even so, I just don't place a high priority on capturing the sunset.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »
I am a inpatient photographer.  Last night, there was a brilliant red sunset lighting up half the sky.  I went into the house, mounted my 16-35mmL, and back out to the front yard.  By then, it was mostly gone.  I took 4 or 5 shots a few seconds apart.

I admire those who wait and capture that right moment, but I never seem to make it.

Here are the examples, not processed or enhanced.  you can see how fast that sunset goes away.  less than 30 sec, and I missed about 2 minutes of it.

I'm surprised you would have any trouble shooting sunsets.  A sunset is one of the most photographed subjects there is.  I once had an exchange on a Photo magazine's website, with a photographer who judges photo contests...and had posted an article about how he was extremely tired of looking at sunset photos!   

I don't think it takes that much patience, you just have to be ready to shoot a bit before sunset.  Patience comes when you're standing out there without having applied deet, and you get bit by mosquitos!  It happens to me, sometimes even when I apply a ton of it...

Here's a recent one I shot at 120mm in portrait mode with my Sigma 120-400 zoom lens and my 6D, on a monopod with IS switched off.  I've done better sunset images than this (at various focal lengths from wide to telephoto, and with various cameras), but I still like this one.  It needs a bit more tweaking but it basically looked like this to the naked eye.  I kind of want it to look slightly more extreme...so far edited only in LR.

As you note, timing is the issue, and I'm too impatient to sit down and wait for that golden moment, usually the sky is too clear, and just the right amount of clouds really helps reflect those bright colors.

Sure, If I were determined to get the image, I could do it, but living on a small farm, there is always work to do, particularly in the morning and at sunset.

Even so, I just don't place a high priority on capturing the sunset.

That's too bad.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
I am a inpatient photographer.  Last night, there was a brilliant red sunset lighting up half the sky.  I went into the house, mounted my 16-35mmL, and back out to the front yard.  By then, it was mostly gone.
I still remember my first attempt at a sunset photo (back in 1995) ... I saw this beautiful sunset from home ... so I thought it'd be awesome to make the image at the beach and drove 1.5 miles on my scooter ... only to feel like a dumb ass to see the beautiful sunset disappear  :-[
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
Mother Nature is a downright tease - gives you the best look and when you get your camera out, it's gone.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

ams2d

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
I can understand your frustration.  I've grabbed my camera and heading to one of my favorite spots only to be too late or the conditions changed.

But sometimes ...

Eagle_Creek_106

EagleCreek_17Sep2011_006

EC_21May2012-5

SunsetEC_20July2013-3
I am the best photographer in the world using the camera I own. To keep it that way no one else can ever use my camera.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
I like to check sunset times and plan to be there 30 min ahead , also check the forecast for storms coming in or out for the really interesting sunsets

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
This was planned, it turned out well this time. Other times have. Been duds, too cloudy, people in the way etc

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »