August 23, 2014, 01:50:41 PM

Author Topic: Canon 6D + 24-105 L combo not that great?  (Read 21003 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D + 24-105 L combo not that great?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2013, 06:28:10 AM »
That's all you got?
Perhaps if you posted some images we might be able to provide useful feedback

Hahahaha! Well said.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »
This combo will certainly make great, sharp photos if Afma, focus and shutter are in place.

You need to figure out where you going wrong, not the gear.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »
This combo will certainly make great, sharp photos if Afma, focus and shutter are in place.

+1 !!!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »

Do please keep in mind the OP is talking about rented equipment, and while I know lensrentals.com thoroughly tests everything before it's sent out, and while most rental houses claim to do so, probably not all of them do so. 

For those commenting about renting a body+lens and expecting the lens to be AFMA'd to that body, I really doubt a rental house would do that, it's up to the renter (which is why it's always a good idea to be sure you have the equipment in hand a day or two before you need it).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »

For those commenting about renting a body+lens and expecting the lens to be AFMA'd to that body, I really doubt a rental house would do that, it's up to the renter (which is why it's always a good idea to be sure you have the equipment in hand a day or two before you need it).

I can see the AFMA facility on modern bodies opening a whole can of worms for rental. I believe only the 1Dx recognises lenses by serial number, so with a lesser body AFMA'd for say one 24-105 would inevitably make it inaccurate on another. Also you would have the issue of hirers playing with the AFMA and possibly getting it wrong.

It would be an unviable task for rentals companies to continually check.

I guess the moral of the story is when renting a body check the AF accuracy yourself straight away. 

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

I can see the AFMA facility on modern bodies opening a whole can of worms for rental. I believe only the 1Dx recognises lenses by serial number, so with a lesser body AFMA'd for say one 24-105 would inevitably make it inaccurate on another. Also you would have the issue of hirers playing with the AFMA and possibly getting it wrong.

It would be an unviable task for rentals companies to continually check.

I guess the moral of the story is when renting a body check the AF accuracy yourself straight away.

I have never done AFMA :(
Couldn't the OP have checked this by also doing a Live View focus and comparing it with the same shot using AF? If everything else is the same but the AF view is much less sharp, then would that indicate the AF needs AFMA?
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Yes, that would be the way to check, and something that can be done easily with a hired body. I suppose another thing to do is first check that when you put your lens on a hired body it doesn't give a AFMA reading in the menu.

Regarding AFMA, so far I've only really found it crucial on larger, faster teles. Maybe I've been lucky so far.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »

+1

I rent lenses from time to time and always perform AFMA adjustment with Reikan Focal prior to use.   
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

pulseimages

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
Well I finally received an e-mail today from Borrow Lenses stating that the lens I complained as having soft focus was indeed defective. Strange that they had to test the lens 3 times to come to the conclusion that it is defective. They will be sending me a refund ASAP almost 2 months after I returned the equipment. Better than never I guess.

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
I have the 6d with the 24-105mm f4 L and have found the sharpness to be fine generally and normally if it is off its me not the equipment.
At my day job we rent high performance cinematography lenses and I use the same test methods we use to check my Canon lenses so I can do mirco adjustments if needed (although this works best for very fast lenses). Ive only ever had one lens out from Canon a EF-S 15-85mm I use on the 7d. It was quite a lot out so in the end I returned it to Canon for adjustment now works fine.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
My 24-105 thanffully needs no AFMA.  Neither did the one I rented from Lensrentals last year.  But I can see how some would need it. 

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
I feel this guys pain. I haven't worked this hard to get consistent sharp pics since my 7d debacle.

Im on my second 6d body, and its performing much better then the junk canon first sent me. Its not 'there' yet though...i still feel like its not as sharp as its supposed to be, buti haven't AFMA yet. It is however showing much better baseline sharpness with my reference 24-105.  Reminds me of my Eos M images with the 22/f2.

Im still looking for how these images will ultimately better than what my t2i can produce at iso 100. Ive seen plenty examples from others online, but as of yet i haven't experienced them with the 6d.

Here's some cropped, 1:1 eyes from my t2i. Can i realistically expect "better" from full frame?

Be the best you, screw everything else.