October 26, 2014, 01:22:05 AM

Author Topic: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]  (Read 12906 times)

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
Re: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »
I wish it were the high-end version.  But I doubt it   :-[
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
Realistically I want DPAF...
DPAF? Sorry, that one has got me. I came up with:
Dual Payload Attachment Fitting & Division of Planning, Analysis, and Finance
Dual Pixel AF like in the 70D  :P
Duh...OK.  I knew that! ???
I've just added DPAF to to user editable http://www.abbreviations.com

-pw
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:45:32 PM by pwp »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
i wonder if it does eventuate if we will see a dumping of current M stock cheap
if so I'll probably grab another from B&H and have it sent directly for IR conversion
as it will probably be cheaper than shipping one of my 5D2 off to be done and be more
compact for carrying around
APS-H Fanboy

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »
i wonder if it does eventuate if we will see a dumping of current M stock cheap
if so I'll probably grab another from B&H and have it sent directly for IR conversion
as it will probably be cheaper than shipping one of my 5D2 off to be done and be more
compact for carrying around

+1 on that.  For IR, you generally shoot at low ISO, and don't have high demands on the AF system.  I doubt you should see any perceptible difference between the IQ of the 18MP sensor and 20MP DPAF sensor for IR use.

BTW: who are you using for IR conversion?  I have previously used Camera Clinic in Collingwood to convert an old Powershot G5.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Eric D

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
More pancakes please :)

Pancake, like the one in the photo for the article.  That photo is hysterical!!!!!

I'd like to point out that there IS is a pancake in that photo.  It's attached to the lens.

enjoy,

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:09 AM »
BTW: who are you using for IR conversion?  I have previously used Camera Clinic in Collingwood to convert an old Powershot G5.

I have not yet converted my M as I'm waiting to have the successor in my hands first but I have saved two links to companies that do it and have had customers posting that they're very happy with the conversion.  Here are those links...

http://www.lifepixel.com/

http://www.kolarivision.com/

Hope that helps!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
If the m2 has the 70d's af sensor and touchscreen, this will make a serious contender to the 70d because many usability shortcomings/crippling will be fixed by Magic Lantern - so if you just need a small camera for video next to a full fledged ff eos this m2 will surely have a lot of customers.

Canon seems to have a great product here - could we now please have more enthusiast releases like the long awaited L updates, not just low end (m2, stm, ...) or high end (200-400L, ...) :-p ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:02 AM »
If the m2 has the 70d's af sensor and touchscreen, this will make a serious contender to the 70d because many usability shortcomings/crippling will be fixed by Magic Lantern - so if you just need a small camera for video next to a full fledged ff eos this m2 will surely have a lot of customers.

Magic Lantern has some issues with the M. I kicked the BETA from my M as the M simply does not have enough buttons to work with some convinience with the ML extensions. The overlapping menus did their part as well in convincing me to pass on this one.

However I second your desire for enthusiast products. To much these days for Cine, Deep pockets and Noobs, nothing which makes the fanboys in the middle sustainable happy.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
dear canon,
please give us better AF, a built in flash, and a decent viewfinder. if so, i will seriously consider buying it once the price drops from 800 dollars ish. if possible(not holding my breath), please throw in better high ISO and maybe another dial or two so i don't have to use the touchscreen so much.
sincerely,
someone hoping for a full frame Canon mirrorless, but content enough with the M for now.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

mountain_drew

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »
dear canon,
please give us better AF, a built in flash, and a decent viewfinder. if so, i will seriously consider buying it once the price drops from 800 dollars ish. if possible(not holding my breath), please throw in better high ISO and maybe another dial or two so i don't have to use the touchscreen so much.
sincerely,
someone hoping for a full frame Canon mirrorless, but content enough with the M for now.
I don't understand why people ask stuff that would be impossible to fit in such a small body. Do you guys want a mirrorless DSLR-like body?

schmidtfilme

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • 35photo
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Sounds promising.  If it has:
1. the 70D's sensor with dual pixel af
2. an electronic view finder
3. size similar to the original M (With an EVF it will have to be larger)
I think most people will be happy.  Though there are some that will complain no matter what is released. 

On my would-be-nice list is the hope they style it after one of their retro cameras like the canonette or something.

If that happens I get one if the price is right.
5D Mark III
17-40/24-105/70-200 all f4

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
I think most people will be happy.

LOL

LOL, I meant most people in the General population.  Not most people on this forum!!

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
I don't understand why people ask stuff that would be impossible to fit in such a small body. Do you guys want a mirrorless DSLR-like body?

no, we want solid and robust mirrorless system cameras with better IQ and photographic performance than any DSLR at a fraction of the bulk and weight.  Good thing is, there is no law of nature against it. Only the unwillingness of imaging gear suppliers to build it, as long as they can sell yesterday's crap like the EOS-M or various DSLRs. 

To be miore specific: what exactly would not fit into a very compact mirrorless system camera body?

* really fast and precise Hybrid AF [contrast AF plus phase-detect Af on sensor]? -> no difference in body size/weight 
* vastly improved sensor with much better IQ ... resolution, DR, low-ISO, hi-ISO noise? -> no difference in size/weight
* ultra hi resolution "retina" EVF with minimum 4k rresoultion? -> no difference in size/weight
* one front-whell, one rear-whell and 5 freely assignable, well-placed buttons? -> no difference in size/weight
* higher fps? focus peaking? 1001 useful firmware features -> no difference in size/weight
* magnesium-alloy body, fully dust- and weathersealed [IP 67] ? -> no difference in size, little in weight
* WiFi, GPS, Canon-EX-RT radio flash master built in? -> very little impact on size/weight
* built-in little fil-flash -> little impact on size/weight
* fully articulated "retina" 4k LCD screen? -> very little impact on size [about 1mm in width], little in weight
* battery good for min. 500 shots and decent handgrip? -> little impact on size, if properly done

* full frame 35mm sensor? -> some impact on size, but not a lot, if properly done (see Sony RX-1)

Even with all of these items built into a full-frame mirrorless cam, it could still be significantly smaller and also lighter than any DSLR.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »

Fatalv

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
Does anyone else want to be able to connect a remote shutter trigger?  Wired would be fine.  Or did I just miss the slot on my current model M?

+1 I'd love to be able to attach some M's to my dual telescope rig on my EQ mount. Losing the weight of the DSLR would be a huge benefit and still allow me to have a usable camera for day to day operations.
5DMk3, 7D, 16-35f2.8 II, 70-200f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4, 10-22, 430EXII, 600EX-RT ...

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »

no, we want solid and robust mirrorless system cameras with better IQ and photographic performance than any DSLR at a fraction of the bulk and weight.  Good thing is, there is no law of nature against it. Only the unwillingness of imaging gear suppliers to build it, as long as they can sell yesterday's crap like the EOS-M or various DSLRs. 

To be miore specific: what exactly would not fit into a very compact mirrorless system camera body?

* really fast and precise Hybrid AF [contrast AF plus phase-detect Af on sensor]? -> no difference in body size/weight 
* vastly improved sensor with much better IQ ... resolution, DR, low-ISO, hi-ISO noise? -> no difference in size/weight
* ultra hi resolution "retina" EVF with minimum 4k rresoultion? -> no difference in size/weight
* one front-whell, one rear-whell and 5 freely assignable, well-placed buttons? -> no difference in size/weight
* higher fps? focus peaking? 1001 useful firmware features -> no difference in size/weight
* magnesium-alloy body, fully dust- and weathersealed [IP 67] ? -> no difference in size, little in weight
* WiFi, GPS, Canon-EX-RT radio flash master built in? -> very little impact on size/weight
* built-in little fil-flash -> little impact on size/weight
* fully articulated "retina" 4k LCD screen? -> very little impact on size [about 1mm in width], little in weight
* battery good for min. 500 shots and decent handgrip? -> little impact on size, if properly done

* full frame 35mm sensor? -> some impact on size, but not a lot, if properly done (see Sony RX-1)

Even with all of these items built into a full-frame mirrorless cam, it could still be significantly smaller and also lighter than any DSLR.

Welcome all, to Fantasy Island!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »