December 18, 2014, 09:46:44 AM

Author Topic: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]  (Read 13848 times)

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
Re: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if the new body comes to the US after what happened with the 11-22mm.

Nikon also seems to be pulling back from the US market with the 32mm only available through grey market now.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/09/17/nikon-32-1-2-1-series-lens-now-special-order-only/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

josephandrews222

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
...a previous poster listed one really important add-on for the new M: a tiny flash suitable for fill-flash. This is essential, I think.
5DMkIII; 40D; M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »
...a previous poster listed one really important add-on for the new M: a tiny flash suitable for fill-flash. This is essential, I think.

Agreed.  But then you'll see mass online grumblings that the flash isn't strong enough! In fact, some of the grumblings may be outright rage with empty threats to switch to Nikon!

LeifHurst

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Leif Hurst Photography
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
My only request... catch up with Fuji.
Leif Hurst Photography

Hasselblad H4D, HC 120mm Macro, HC 50-110 Zoom, (2) 5DII, 7D, 40mm pancake, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 II, 85L, 100L, 50 1.4, profoto, kinos constants, more speedlites than I'd like to admit

mountain_drew

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »
I don't understand why people ask stuff that would be impossible to fit in such a small body. Do you guys want a mirrorless DSLR-like body?

no, we want solid and robust mirrorless system cameras with better IQ and photographic performance than any DSLR at a fraction of the bulk and weight.  Good thing is, there is no law of nature against it. Only the unwillingness of imaging gear suppliers to build it, as long as they can sell yesterday's crap like the EOS-M or various DSLRs. 

To be miore specific: what exactly would not fit into a very compact mirrorless system camera body?

* really fast and precise Hybrid AF [contrast AF plus phase-detect Af on sensor]? -> no difference in body size/weight 
* vastly improved sensor with much better IQ ... resolution, DR, low-ISO, hi-ISO noise? -> no difference in size/weight
* ultra hi resolution "retina" EVF with minimum 4k rresoultion? -> no difference in size/weight
* one front-whell, one rear-whell and 5 freely assignable, well-placed buttons? -> no difference in size/weight
* higher fps? focus peaking? 1001 useful firmware features -> no difference in size/weight
* magnesium-alloy body, fully dust- and weathersealed [IP 67] ? -> no difference in size, little in weight
* WiFi, GPS, Canon-EX-RT radio flash master built in? -> very little impact on size/weight
* built-in little fil-flash -> little impact on size/weight
* fully articulated "retina" 4k LCD screen? -> very little impact on size [about 1mm in width], little in weight
* battery good for min. 500 shots and decent handgrip? -> little impact on size, if properly done

* full frame 35mm sensor? -> some impact on size, but not a lot, if properly done (see Sony RX-1)

Even with all of these items built into a full-frame mirrorless cam, it could still be significantly smaller and also lighter than any DSLR.
I don't think you'll get all of this. I think a great recipe would be to copy the SONY NEX-3N and the NEX-6 for the low-cost and high-cost version, with the 70D sensor, better LCD. That would mean fill flash and tilting screen on the cheap one, EVF and more buttons/wheels on the more expansive one. Perhaps the tilting screen is not possible if you want weather sealing, so that might mean picking one or the other. The WIFI might come with both because it might affect how consumers perceive the camera. I don't think Canon will invest in focus peaking, but we have it with magic lantern so it's fine to me, but that'd be nice to have it from the start.

If Canon just matches Sony's offering with the addition of the 70D sensor, they might have a good chance of competing against it and I'd probably be sold to the most expansive one. I know that if they match the NEX-6, I might just buy it, even though I had no intention of buying a mirrorless body 6 months ago, even less a second one!

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 03:24:01 AM »
If Canon just matches Sony's offering with the addition of the 70D sensor, they might have a good chance of competing against it and I'd probably be sold to the most expansive one. I know that if they match the NEX-6, I might just buy it, even though I had no intention of buying a mirrorless body 6 months ago, even less a second one!

Looking forward to Sony - hopefully! - announcing their rumored full-frame mirrorless system camera/s soon.

I just might get what I want ... a
* FF-sensored
* fully-featured
* highly capable
AND
* very compact
mirrorless system camera. Along with a couple of good and compact AF-lenses ["Zeiss" branded and hopefully also designed by them]. 

If true ... it'll be a good lesson for Canon and bad news for their underwhelming EOS-M line. :-)

sylvestrerato

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 04:37:15 AM »
I'll buy when it's full framed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 04:37:15 AM »

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »

Looking forward to Sony - hopefully! - announcing their rumored full-frame mirrorless system camera/s soon.

* FF-sensored
* fully-featured
* highly capable
AND
* very compact
mirrorless system camera. Along with a couple of good and compact AF-lenses ["Zeiss" branded and hopefully also designed by them]. 

If true ... it'll be a good lesson for Canon and bad news for their underwhelming EOS-M line. :-)

Are you prepared to pay $3k for the body ? 

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

* FF-sensored
* fully-featured
* highly capable
AND
* very compact

I'm with AvTvM.

Keep the body size to RX1 or near to RX1, I'm more than happy to spend $3k on body. I spent $2800 on RX1 fixed lens and yes....it's the best little camera on the planet.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
I'll buy when it's full framed.
Scratch one potential customer :D

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

If it has what i want and delivers IQ at least on par with nikon d800 .. Yes i will.
I would prefer if it had a canon user interface and an. Adapter for my canon lenses ... :-)

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »

If it has what i want and delivers IQ at least on par with nikon d800 .. Yes i will.
I would prefer if it had a canon user interface and an. Adapter for my canon lenses ... :-)

Really?  :o  A $3K EOS-M? Pshaw.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »

yep. I would consider 3k USD/€ fair value for a very compact, FF-sensored EOS-M with better sensor, better IQ, better AF, more features (e.g. WiFi, GPS, EX-RT-controller, fully articulated LCD],  4k "retina" EVF and better ergonomics - compared to D800 and 5D III. :-)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:14:00 PM by AvTvM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »

yep. I would consider 3k USD/€ fair value for a very compact, FF-sensored EOS-M with better sensor, better IQ, better AF, more features (e.g. WiFi, GPS, EX-RT-controller, fully articulated LCD],  4k "retina" EVF and better ergonomics - compared to D800 and 5D III. :-)
They *might* just sell one.  The rest of us will settle for a bit less and save a dime or two.  :-\

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »
They *might* just sell one.  The rest of us will settle for a bit less and save a dime or two.  :-\

don't think so. Sony was apparently able to sell some RX-1 cameras @ 3k ... and the RX-1 is a far cry from the hi-end mirrorless system camera described above, which I would love to buy from Canon.

Of course one can spend less money - like USD 299,- - and settle for even less ... e.g. the current Canon EOS-M. :-)

Yes, the current EOS-M may be a very good choice for many. But for me it is simply no option, irrespective of its (deservedly low) price. The older I get, the more I try to avoid spending money and time on gear which evidently   is inadequate or unsuitable for what and how I want to work. One of my knock-out criteria for a camera is a "look-through" viewfinder. I only ever take pictures squinting at an LCD on a device I have to hold with stretched out hands if I have absolutely no other choice in view of a really appealing photo opportunity. :-)

Therefore, neither the current EOS-M or an ever so slightly improved EOS-M II [e.g. 70D sensor w/ dual-pixel-AF] without an excellent viewfinder are of any interest to me. I will eventually replace my bulky APS-C DSLR plus lenses with a smaller, lighter AND more capable mirrorless camera system with 35mm "FF" sensor. But only once I can do so without any sacrifices ... except the change-over from a reasonably good, but not top-notch optical viewfinder [7D] to a truly excellent electronic (or hybrid) viewfinder. :-)

This is my highly subjective view on the "state of mirrorless affairs" ... and I know, I'm not the only one. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »