October 25, 2014, 05:36:47 AM

Author Topic: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]  (Read 12888 times)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: New EOS M This Week? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
yep. I would consider 3k USD/€ fair value for a very compact, FF-sensored EOS-M with better sensor, better IQ, better AF, more features (e.g. WiFi, GPS, EX-RT-controller, fully articulated LCD],  4k "retina" EVF and better ergonomics - compared to D800 and 5D III. :-)

Let's see... More features than a D800 and a 5D III and costs less than a 5D III.  Sure, I'd like that too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
They *might* just sell one.  The rest of us will settle for a bit less and save a dime or two.  :-\

don't think so. Sony was apparently able to sell some RX-1 cameras @ 3k ... and the RX-1 is a far cry from the hi-end mirrorless system camera described above, which I would love to buy from Canon.

Of course one can spend less money - like USD 299,- - and settle for even less ... e.g. the current Canon EOS-M. :-)

Yes, the current EOS-M may be a very good choice for many. But for me it is simply no option, irrespective of its (deservedly low) price. The older I get, the more I try to avoid spending money and time on gear which evidently   is inadequate or unsuitable for what and how I want to work. One of my knock-out criteria for a camera is a "look-through" viewfinder. I only ever take pictures squinting at an LCD on a device I have to hold with stretched out hands if I have absolutely no other choice in view of a really appealing photo opportunity. :-)

Therefore, neither the current EOS-M or an ever so slightly improved EOS-M II [e.g. 70D sensor w/ dual-pixel-AF] without an excellent viewfinder are of any interest to me. I will eventually replace my bulky APS-C DSLR plus lenses with a smaller, lighter AND more capable mirrorless camera system with 35mm "FF" sensor. But only once I can do so without any sacrifices ... except the change-over from a reasonably good, but not top-notch optical viewfinder [7D] to a truly excellent electronic (or hybrid) viewfinder. :-)

This is my highly subjective view on the "state of mirrorless affairs" ... and I know, I'm not the only one. :-)
On a decent (or superior) (E)VF, we can agree.  Arm's length is neither natural nor condusive to good good, fast, steady, sharp photography.  ::)
As far as a sensor, APC-C is wholly adequate (for me).  With the various rectilinear ultra-wides available, FF is not nearly the issue it was for me.  Assuming the current M lenses DO have an image circle to cover FF (which l'll bet they do not), I would not cough up a $1K premium for a FF sensor, though some premium for the larger sensor (yes, very, very desirable) would be considered, now that I'm invested.  Of course, if the image circle only covers APS-C, then the FF point is moot.
At the current $300 price point, the M was an obvious choice for my M/C travel camera - space is at a premium.  At the original price, the current camera was not even on the radar.

My take is the M photographing experience is less than satisfying - quite frustrating in many respects, but it does produce some nice images, due to decent optics and a good sensor.  Far better fro me than a P&S.

I can say after a very short time of using the current M, the screen only view operation is wholly inadequate, and the always-active touch-screen is a real PITA, especially on such a small body.  Like the dial lock on the DSLRs, there needs to be a screen-lock.  They need to make use of the existing buttons and dials better (make them able to access more functions).

One addition I purchased and makes the body so much more stable is a Fotodiox Pro Thumb Grip http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-thumb-grip-for-mirrorless-digital-cameras-type-b-black.html.  The accessory adds greatly to the stability of the camera, but unfortunately eats up the hot shoe, and makes the ON switch nearly inaccessible. 

On my wish list would be the means (a second shoe? add grip to the body? (and PLEASE don't cover it in plastic!!)) to use this type of grip with an EVF AND flash. 

And ask to keep it ~$1K... (we all can wish...)

In the meantime, I'll make lemonade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »