October 23, 2014, 02:18:33 AM

Author Topic: Bangkok  (Read 6177 times)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Bangkok
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
Friends I will be in Bangkok for a month from 22nd of this month.
I will be busy during days with my work, but the nights are mine!

Please advice where I should go to do night street photography.

And if anyone of you lives there, lets meet up!

Thx...

canon rumors FORUM

Bangkok
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Bangkok
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »

Thx...

Dear Sir, Mr. Sanj
Yes, I am Native in Bangkok and live in Bangkok for 25 years, Before Move to Study and work in North Carolina since 1974 = that another 39 years.---And I go back home every 2 years, Yes, My Home  in suburb of Bangkok too. Yes, Bangkok is one of the most beautiful city/ country in this world, But Past 5 Years, The Economic in Thailand/ Bangkok are so bad----Be careful  about to go any where, special in the Night time with your Camera equipment---You might lost your equipment to 2-3 bad guys  in the night of Bangkok--If you Lucky, In the Worst case you might lose your Life too----Yes, My Suggestion, When you stay in the Hotel in Bangkok, Try to be friend with the Hotel manager, and ask where to go in the night time in Bangkok, But ask the manager to hire  the out of duty/ the Security staffs in that hotel and pay him as your body guard and the tour-guide too. Yes, Although I am Native in Thailand and in Bangkok--I must go with my friend 2-3 of my friends, when I go to shoot the Night time  or early morning Photos. Yes, 3 months ago, Sad new that  one of the Lady, from England = she is the Newspaper Press/ Photographer---She lose her Life in Bangkok and all of her equipment are gone too---And 4 day later, The Police find her body 50 Kilos from Bangkok.
Sorry, I tell you the truth of this Bad news----Yes, When I go alone in the night of Bangkok, I just use my Cheap  Point and shoot Canon Camera = $ 150 US Dollars, And If the Bad people want my camera, I just give them, but  ask for the used memory card, and give them the new empty card Plus All the US Dollars that I have less than 50 Dollars in my pocket---At least, I have the Night Photos in Bangkok.
Here the Day Photos in Thailand----
Nice to talk to you.
Surapon
Apex, NC., USA.

https://surapon.shutterfly.com/10767

NO, NO, NO---"And if anyone of you lives there, lets meet up! "---No, NO, No---You Should Trust The Hotel Manager ---But Get His/ Her Name and Their address/ Phone in writing and give the Copy to the place that you work for---Incase of you are the missing person. With Our Camera Equipment = cost 3-5 years of Thai Labor salary, I will not trust any one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:50:56 PM by surapon »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:34 AM »
Thank you Surapon for your reply. Nice pictures too!
I am sad you feel this way about Bangkok now. I have been visiting it for last 10 years and thought it was a safe place.
I will take note of all your advice!

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »
I think it's unsafe now days in ANY major city of this world to be walking alone at night and carrying $1000's of camera gear.

Just asking for trouble....

Surapon's advice is good.

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
The problem with budget gear is that it tends not to work as well in low light.

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
...but good gear works even less well when it is stolen from you.

The photographer's life. To paraphrase the great Malcolm Tucker - it's never easy, never f$@$?ng easy.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:13:13 AM by dave »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
I traveled to Rio de Janeiro for a week and had no problems. But I did not go in slums, and did not take pictures of the street at night. In fact, I took my old Canon film SLR with Fujicolor ISO 100 and 28-135mm lens. Photographed even within a city bus, after looking carefully around. I carried my camera in a plastic bag market neighborhood, and after putting the camera in the bag, I left the site immediately, looking around, and I had a quiet week and happy. Today I would take a Rebel Xti with 18-55 and 50 F1.8.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:28:12 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »
Dear Friends
Yes, In Thailand and  Now, I am the Member of The Royal Thai Photography Club, And past months, I get the report from them that 2 of the Members( Local Thai people too)  walk and shoot in the Night time in Bangkok, Just 8:00PM early night, The 2 men on the motorbike come to rob them with the hand gun and Knife, After they get the Camera backpack and 3 Cameras on they Shoulders, They just speed away. But That Member get Very Lucky, Because They Report to the Police with all Equipment Serial Numbers, They get their equipment after a week in the Pawnshop, when the police call them back.
Yes, Take the Photos in the Public place in the Day time in Bangkok--Where a lot of People there = The Best and the Safe way to enjoy our Life----But Hired Bodyguards in Thailand are CHEAP way and Safe way, to enjoy Night Photography too.
Good Luck.
Surapon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:47:10 AM by surapon »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »

Yes, and NO-----Depend -How to use the Cheapo camera  as Their Maximum Ability,  When I walk in Every City in USA ( last month in Denver, CO.), I carry Cheap Canon P&S SX 160 IS = $ 150 Us Dollars, But With Big Tripods for Shoot in the Night time with Low Shutter Speed and  Low ISO---With Self Timmer shooting = Get the Great Photos too----But On anothe Hand ---I have the Big / Heavy Monopod for just Protect my self too-----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Surapon
Here are the P&S  Cheapo Canon on the Heavy Tripods
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:56:23 AM by surapon »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
Here are the Photos of Denver in the Day time, With Canon 5D MK II and Canon TS -E 24 MM F/ 3.5 L MK II, Tilt and Shift Lens. Yes, In The Day time, I walk with Full Gear = 48 Pounds of my Back Pack.
Enjoy
Sirapon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:49:07 AM by surapon »

Ristobkk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Thx...
Sanj
Over-reacting is not good, use simply common sense, Bangkok is similar to many big metropolis in good and bad.
I carry 5D3 with L lenses all the time, ofcourse night time one needs to be carefull everywhere but not stoppping to enjoy photographing. Chinanatown is my favourite and very lively at days and nights,great food too.
Enjoy your stay
Risto
5DIII | 6D | G1X II | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L II | Tamron 150-600 | 2.0x converter III | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2

dave

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »

Yes, and NO-----Depend -How to use the Cheapo camera  as Their Maximum Ability,  When I walk in Every City in USA ( last month in Denver, CO.), I carry Cheap Canon P&S SX 160 IS = $ 150 Us Dollars, But With Big Tripods for Shoot in the Night time with Low Shutter Speed and  Low ISO---With Self Timmer shooting = Get the Great Photos too----But On anothe Hand ---I have the Big / Heavy Monopod for just Protect my self too-----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Surapon
Here are the P&S  Cheapo Canon on the Heavy Tripods

I tend to include people in my street photography, so for me the tripod solution is less attractive... Although the thought of you monopodding some no good thiefs makes me happy.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »
I'm sure if I need to get in a fight with a thug, and hit him with an Olympus OM1, I would win the fight ... :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
I'm sure if I need to get in a fight with a thug, and hit him with an Olympus OM1, I would win the fight ... :P
Ha, Ha, Ha Yes Olympus OM1 = Great Weapon, For Canon Fan like me  Canon FT-QL 1965 = The Big Tank too.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
Ha, Ha, Ha Yes Olympus OM1 = Great Weapon, For Canon Fan like me  Canon FT-QL 1965 = The Big Tank too.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon
Speaking of deadly weapons ... A friend was shooting orchestra with an Olympus OM1, and expect to finish the gentle stretch of music to make the photo as the shooting of OM1 is very noisy. ::) As the music take long, my friend gave up waiting and took the picture... :o The teacher of orchestra almost had a heart attack, because the sound of the shooting of OM1 is equal to that of a gun being cocked. :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »