September 02, 2014, 05:44:14 AM

Author Topic: Full Frame or faster lens?  (Read 4206 times)

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Full Frame or faster lens?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
Buy a new main camera, and use your previous main camera as your backup.

I would not buy a back-up camera (unless you are considering a mirrorless or point-n-shoot).  If you purchase a good camera as a true backup, consider how many times you will actually use it. Hopefully, never. You are only pulling it out if your main camera fails. If your main camera does not fail, you'll never be using the back-up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »

rahkshi007

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »
My opinion if you shoot wildlife, should stick with crop sensor for more economically. since now 70D has great iso performance, then 7dmarkii should be similar or better, so save your money first and wait for 7dmark2.
5d mark iii, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 17-40 f4L, 600ex-rt

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
since now 70D has great iso performance

Great ISO performance?  From what I can tell, it's not significantly better than the 60D, which is similar to the 7D.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Vincwat

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
70d high ISO performance is not much better compared to the 7D. Thtat is why I don't expect e 7D mark II to be much better compared to the 7D. If I want better IQ at high ISO O have to go for the 5D markIII. That is probably what I will do. I will trade the 15-85 against a 24-105.

Thanks everyone

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
since now 70D has great iso performance

Great ISO performance?  From what I can tell, it's not significantly better than the 60D, which is similar to the 7D.
If you look at the JPG's straight from the camera, the 70D is significantly better than the 60D, but if you shoot RAW, the difference is very slight..... Far more computing power in the new camera (I think its around 17X) lets the 70D process the images a lot more in camera.

If you want image quality, I'd pick a 6D over a 70D any day of the week. If you want AF ability for quick moving objects, then the order would probably be 1DX, 5D3, 70D or 7D (order depending on if you shoot video), 60D, and finally 6D.... and if you want crop for more pixels on the target and want good AF and reasonable IQ, I'd wait for the 7D2...
The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
If you look at the JPG's straight from the camera...

So, you're saying these things shoot JPGs, too?  Wow, you learn something new every day!   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
But buying a 6D is trading AF performance with fast-moving subjects for ISO performance.  Personally, I'll take an in-focus, noisy image over an out-of-focus, low-noise image.

Personally, I wouldn't want either :-p ... the questions are:

1. Is the shot is repeatable or mission-critical? If it's not that important to nail this exact shot, you can try again or shoot multiple frames with re-focusing with the 6d and get a good looking result sooner or later. With a 7d/70d crop, maybe you won't have to try again, but it'll be 100% crappy iq starting with iso1600+.

2. Is multi-point af tracking required or desired? If using center-point only which has been a working system for decades, the otherwise very underwhelming 6d can be a good alternative even with the outdated af system unless using a very fast lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
But buying a 6D is trading AF performance with fast-moving subjects for ISO performance.  Personally, I'll take an in-focus, noisy image over an out-of-focus, low-noise image.

Personally, I wouldn't want either :-p ... the questions are:

1. Is the shot is repeatable or mission-critical? If it's not that important to nail this exact shot, you can try again or shoot multiple frames with re-focusing with the 6d and get a good looking result sooner or later. With a 7d/70d crop, maybe you won't have to try again, but it'll be 100% crappy iq starting with iso1600+.

2. Is multi-point af tracking required or desired? If using center-point only which has been a working system for decades, the otherwise very underwhelming 6d can be a good alternative even with the outdated af system unless using a very fast lens.

Agree, although the AF tracking with all points active on the 6D does work.  It's just that much of the time, mine neglects locking with center point for some reason in this mode.  It prefers the slower, less reliable outer points.  If it just wouldn't avoid the center point with all points active as often as it does, it would do better.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
If it just wouldn't avoid the center point with all points active as often as it does, it would do better.

This sounds really annoying, maybe you should try posting this in the official Canon forum, bugging Canon about the 5d3 af assist beam bug worked and they released a fw update.

Unfortunately Magic Lantern won't be able to help here, Canon removed some firmware hooks from the 5d2->6d as they obviously really intended to "distinguish" (nice phrasing...) the 6d from other models designed for af tracking.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »