October 23, 2014, 07:21:50 AM

Author Topic: EOS M Update Information [CR1]  (Read 9398 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS M Update Information [CR1]
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »

Same sensor as 70D?

Another couple of emails have mentioned at least one of the updated EOS M bodies will feature the same 20.2mp APS-C sensor as the EOS 70D. DIGIC 6 is also going to be in both bodies. We’ve reported this before, it just seems we’re getting more confirmations on the topic.

We also got a mention about an EF-M 55-200 IS STM lens coming whenever a body is announced. We have heard various focal lengths for the telephoto zoom that will come to the EF-M mount. A grain of salt on this one.

I receive emails almost daily asking about the possibility of a full frame EOS M body. I do not see this happening for the foreseeable future.

When?

We haven’t confirmed the reports of an announcement this week, nor have we heard from the usual suspects in that regard. I would think if Canon wants to reinvigorate the EOS M line, then a little bit of fanfare should be expected.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M Update Information [CR1]
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »

pharp

Re: EOS M Update Information [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
Sounds like there on the right track - big question now, how much? Presumably less than a 70D.   

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
Sounds like there on the right track
I receive emails almost daily asking about the possibility of a full frame EOS M body. I do not see this happening for the foreseeable future.
to me it sounds looks like they're on the wrong track.

big question now, how much? Presumably less than a 70D.
No, it will be 200  USD/Euro more expensive than a 70D. Stupids ehm, esteemed Canon customers - will buy it anyway. And it makes for a higher percentage discount, once they sell all the inventory at fire sale price.  :P

When?
We haven’t confirmed the reports of an announcement this week, nor have we heard from the usual suspects in that regard. I would think if Canon wants to reinvigorate the EOS M line, then a little bit of fanfare should be expected.
Ideal timing would be the day before or after Sony announces its new full-frame mirrorless cameras.  ;D

LOL

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »
Pretty funny...Canon comes to the mirrorless segment dead last...with an absolute dog of a product...overpriced and lagging behind all of the other manufactures...Why?
Now, after all of the complaints and disappointment just about everywhere (until they cut the price in half),...they may get it right.  Is there anyone at the helm of market awareness???
Sounds like this may be a much better offering. Let's hope they can save a little face here. The rumors sound promising!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:32:13 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

pharp

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
Pretty funny...Canon comes to the mirrorless segment dead last...with an absolute dog of a product...overpriced and lagging behind all of the other manufactures...Why?
Now, after all of the complaints and disappointment just about everywhere (until they cut the price in half),...they may get it right.  Is there anyone at the helm of market awareness???
Sounds like this may be a much better offering. Let's hope they can save a little face here. The rumors sound promising!

Agreed, they may actually have something with decent AF, maybe an EVF and add some more lenses, especially IF they can keep it under a grand. I would also love to see a Metabones speed booster for this. Despite it obvious flaws, I really rather like mine.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
If Canon wanted to introduce a FF mirrorless camera, my guess is that they would simply shorten the sensor-to-flange distance of the current EF mount and introduce both a new series of lenses and an adapter so that current lenses could also be used. APS-C is full frame for the EOS-M lensmount.

As for reinvigorating the EOS M line, fanfare would be good but only if they use it to introduce a much broader range of bodies and many more lenses.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
I REALLY REALLY want FF, Retro Design, mirrorless ::)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
pick 2.  Full frame mirrorless?  upcoming Sony NEX-9
Mirrorless Retro? Fuji x100S
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
I know that they would not show up here but when are we going to see a glimmer of a new line of sensors?  Hopefully in the 7DII.  Truth be told Canon is making some great cameras.  New features, great lenses, excellent stuff, but any Canon camera you buy has a sensor that is outclassed by the other manufacturers.  If I'm going to drop big dollars I want something that will not be obsolete as soon as I drive it out of the showroom.  I'm in the market for a mirrorless.  I have the money, ready to pull the trigger ,give me something good
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
pick 2.  Full frame mirrorless?  upcoming Sony NEX-9
Mirrorless Retro? Fuji x100S

Since I already own RX1, I'm more than happy with Fuji retro, just bring that crop sensor to 35mm. I can shoot with 35mm(f1.4ish) fixed lens all day ;)

I doubt the rumor Sony FF, NEX-9 would have same body size as RX1 ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:30:21 AM by Dylan777 »

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »
Don't count on FF ...  I ass-u-me, that like the EF-S lenses, this M dedicated glass was not designed to have an image circle to cover FF.   I believe the die is cast.

As a FF proponent, and at the risk of opening the old can of worms, other than at short focal lengths, what REAL advantage does FF have in the real world?  Keep in mind, folks, this camera was not designed to be a replacement for a 1-series camera.

josephandrews222

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
APS-C is full frame for the EOS-M lensmount.

Well stated.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the M-sized 55-250 or whatever it is--the singular advantage of the M is its overall footprint--so will this new zoom be significantly smaller than its EF-S counterpart?

Canon really does have a conundrum with the M that includes the 70D sensor.

What will people be willing to pay for this souped-up M? I honestly don't know...
5DMkIII; 40D; M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
Don't count on FF ...  I ass-u-me, that like the EF-S lenses, this M dedicated glass was not designed to have an image circle to cover FF.   I believe the die is cast.

As a FF proponent, and at the risk of opening the old can of worms, other than at short focal lengths, what REAL advantage does FF have in the real world?  Keep in mind, folks, this camera was not designed to be a replacement for a 1-series camera.

Over one stop of noise, over one stop less DOF for the same framing (but that isn't necessarily an advantage).

No, bearing in mind what the camera was designed for this constant clamoring for FF really is comical, especially because if they did make one the price would be too high, or not the right lens selection, or the buttons too rounded, the battery too big/small. I see virtually no actual market for a FF mirrorless, a handful of wealthy enthusiasts. Well we already have Leica for them and Sony can keep the rest happy. Can you imagine the blasting Canon would get here if they brought out a FF mirrorless with a fixed lens for over $2,000?

I think the APS-C sensor format is the sweet spot for these cameras.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »

Since the M has slower AF speed, the real advatange off FF mirrorless:

1. Be able to use 6400ISO or 12,000ish maybe
2. Compact, lighter, easy to carry around

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

Over one stop of noise, over one stop less DOF for the same framing (but that isn't necessarily an advantage).

No, bearing in mind what the camera was designed for this constant clamoring for FF really is comical, especially because if they did make one the price would be too high, or not the right lens selection, or the buttons too rounded, the battery too big/small. I see virtually no actual market for a FF mirrorless, a handful of wealthy enthusiasts. Well we already have Leica for them and Sony can keep the rest happy. Can you imagine the blasting Canon would get here if they brought out a FF mirrorless with a fixed lens for over $2,000?

I think the APS-C sensor format is the sweet spot for these cameras.

Even if it were interchangeable lens...  $2K would indeed be laughable.  This new one best come in around $700, or prepare for yet another belly flop.

The original M at the original price (irrespective of the performance panning) was not an attractive option.  The price drop made it a give-away and maybe created a otherwise uninterested customer base for their new M.  I'm among that number.

Noise is less an issue as each sensor gen is released, but is an issue.  DOF at same framing: com se com sa.
Indeed, APS-C is the sweet spot, and for many reasons, will all the M will all ever be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »