October 02, 2014, 11:27:38 AM

Author Topic: Camera Sling  (Read 5994 times)

ikirumata

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Sling
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
If you use a tripod often, don't look at those - the usage of the 1/4-20 to mount to sucks balls. I hate having to unscrew and screw the stupid adaptor all the time. I prefer using the Op-Tech sling kit from the right strap lug to the bottom strap lug on all my 1-series bodies. With the quick-release clips, I can even take the strap off instantly if I don't want it on the camera when tripod mounted (prevents wind induced vibrations from a strap blowing around).

I mounted my Black Rapid strap screw to a manfrotto quick place adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554141&Q=&is=REG&A=details

and mounted an RC2 plate to my camera. This allows me to quickly attach/detach the camera from my BR strap and quickly attach it to my manfrotto monopod/tripod.

This is where I got the idea:

Black Rapid - Manfrotto Quick Release Adapter

Good luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Seeing as this thread has popped up again, is anyone using the Peak Design system?
http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/
This has been one of the bigger Kickstarter successes.

The Peak Design CapturePro looks to me to be a sophisticated, evolved, compact design. The DualPlate is an intriguing design compatible with both Manfrotto RC2 and ARCA.

The Leash strap system can convert in seconds from a sling strap to a conventional neck strap. The Leash is a little thin, but I emailed Peak Design who promptly responded saying a wider, more comfortable strap suited to the weight of a pro body with 70-200 zoom will be shipping very soon.

I often work long days on my feet carrying a lot of gear. The search for a perfect carrying system is a bit like the search for the holy grail. I have a Spider Pro system with the dual holster belt which has been very good but is worn out and needs replacing. I recently did my dough on a full set of CarrySpeed straps; the Extreme, the Pro and the Dual plus extra plates. Initially the system looked full of promise, and I figured I'd get used to the clumsy attachment system and bulky components. What I will say about CarrySpeed is that it is just great if you're only carrying one body/lens so long as that does not include a 70-200 f/2.8. The ability to instantly hitch the camera up tight solves the BR bouncy-bouncy issue. Two straps doesn't work together and the design implementation of the Dual is a mess.

Once you've moved away from the traditional neck-strap, it's very hard to go back. But the whole sling-strap and holster industry is still very young and evolving fast.

Ahhh...what to choose?

-pw

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
If you use a tripod often, don't look at those - the usage of the 1/4-20 to mount to sucks balls. I hate having to unscrew and screw the stupid adaptor all the time. I prefer using the Op-Tech sling kit from the right strap lug to the bottom strap lug on all my 1-series bodies. With the quick-release clips, I can even take the strap off instantly if I don't want it on the camera when tripod mounted (prevents wind induced vibrations from a strap blowing around).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554141&Q=&is=REG&A=details

and mounted an RC2 plate to my camera. This allows me to quickly attach/detach the camera from my BR strap and quickly attach it to my manfrotto monopod/tripod.

That's all fine and dandy, until that RC2 let's go on you. I've had multiple Manfrotto plates crack in the pot metal (on my Hasselblad 203FE, no less). Plus, I don't use the Manfrotto QR system. I use the Arca-Swiss system. And, even with your setup, you'd still have to unlatch the Krap-Rapid from the plate before docking onto the tripod. I can have the strap still on camera with the body mounted to the AS B1.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »

That's all fine and dandy, until that RC2 let's go on you. I've had multiple Manfrotto plates crack in the pot metal (on my Hasselblad 203FE, no less). Plus, I don't use the Manfrotto QR system. I use the Arca-Swiss system. And, even with your setup, you'd still have to unlatch the Krap-Rapid from the plate before docking onto the tripod. I can have the strap still on camera with the body mounted to the AS B1.

+1  There's no way I'm hanging my camera/lens upside down on an RC2 plate. They're acceptable on a tripod, but I would never trust them in a stressful situation. Go Arca-Swiss. Use a 1" clamp on your BR strap and replace your plates.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
There's no way I'm hanging my camera/lens upside down on an RC2 plate. They're acceptable on a tripod, but I would never trust them in a stressful situation.
Have you broken one brad-man?

I'd be the last person to denigrate the excellent Arca-Swiss plate. But let's set the record straight. There's nothing wrong or weak about RC2. For more years than I care to remember I've hoisted a 300f/2.8 with a 1-Series body mounted to a monopod with Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head & RC2 (with the little brass locking pin rotated) over my shoulder and walked, jogged, run to my next shooting position. I see plenty of other sports shooters doing the same with much heavier 400f/2.8 glass.

If anyone has ever broken one, I'd bet that it was an eBay cheapie RC2 clone/knock-off with suspect metallurgy.

-pw

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »

What a brilliant piece of lateral thinking. That's a great solution using easily available, inexpensive components. I love stuff like this.

-pw

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »
There's no way I'm hanging my camera/lens upside down on an RC2 plate. They're acceptable on a tripod, but I would never trust them in a stressful situation.
Have you broken one brad-man?

I'd be the last person to denigrate the excellent Arca-Swiss plate. But let's set the record straight. There's nothing wrong or weak about RC2. For more years than I care to remember I've hoisted a 300f/2.8 with a 1-Series body mounted to a monopod with Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head & RC2 (with the little brass locking pin rotated) over my shoulder and walked, jogged, run to my next shooting position. I see plenty of other sports shooters doing the same with much heavier 400f/2.8 glass.

If anyone has ever broken one, I'd bet that it was an eBay cheapie RC2 clone/knock-off with suspect metallurgy.

-pw

I have never had one break, it was docholliday that mentioned having Manfrotto plates crack. I also used the RC2 system for years. More times than I care to remember, I found that the spring loaded clamp had not properly seated (after the click) and that my camera/lens was being precariously held in place. Fortunately, I always discovered the condition before anything bad happened. Does that sound like user error? You bet it was. Nevertheless, the fact that it happened more than once made me uncomfortable with the setup. I'm glad you are happy with the system and wish you all the luck with it. My user error aside, I do not feel it is a strong enough or secure enough system. It is why I went through the expense to switch to the Arca system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 12:37:08 AM »
I've had multiple Manfrotto plates crack in the pot metal (on my Hasselblad 203FE, no less). Plus, I don't use the Manfrotto QR system. I use the Arca-Swiss system.
Whoa! Multiple fails. I can understand why you switched to Arca-Swiss. That's statistically extraordinarily bad luck.
Just out of interest and relevant personal concern, were they genuine Manfrotto or clone RC2 plates?

-pw

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

What a brilliant piece of lateral thinking. That's a great solution using easily available, inexpensive components. I love stuff like this.

-pw

There's a much better way, the BlackRapid FastenR-T1.  It came out after that YouTube video, though.  It's a replacement for the D-ring on the Manfrotto RC2 plate, one that's designed to carry a load.

I used that system for a while, I far prefer the Arca-Swiss setup I now use.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »

-pw

There's a much better way, the BlackRapid FastenR-T1.  It came out after that YouTube video, though.  It's a replacement for the D-ring on the Manfrotto RC2 plate, one that's designed to carry a load.

I used that system for a while, I far prefer the Arca-Swiss setup I now use.

Agreed, that's a far more elegant, simple solution. Nice.
BTW, what is it that makes the Arca-Swiss system attract such devoted fervor when compared to the Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head & RC2?
Am I missing something? Or is it a treatable case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)

-pw

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
BTW, what is it that makes the Arca-Swiss system attract such devoted fervor when compared to the Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head & RC2?

-pw

One thing is that you can slide the foot back and forth in clamp to get the balance right.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »

-pw

One thing is that you can slide the foot back and forth in clamp to get the balance right.

Jim

OK. I'll give a quick and probably incomplete list of reasons:

1)  As Jim said, adjustable balance on the fly.
2)  Plates are more comfortable to hold on the lens collar and less obtrusive on the camera while being non-rotational.
3)  Quieter to engage/disengage.
4)  Strong as a vice (because it is a vice).
5)  Non-proprietary. There are ballheads out there other than Manfrotto's. I tend to favor Markins and Acratech, while many here like the Really Right Stuff models. Oh yea, I hear there's even a company called Arca-Swiss that makes some really nice heads ;)  The point is interchangeability. Hope this helps.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »

Honestly, if the only thing you're using is a monopod with a 'light' lens (e.g. 100-400L), the 234RC is quite good.  On a ballhead, the RC2 plates have some play inside the clamp even when 'locked down'.  There's no risk of it coming loose (thanks to the secondary locking pin), but the play makes precise positioning more challenging, and I suspect it's a source of potential vibration.  Not showstopping issues, but annoying.

However, the real benefit to the Arca-Swiss system is compatibility.  With AS plates, I can switch from monopod head to ballhead to gimbal head to macro rail, attach a flash bracket, connect one of my BR straps or the Arca attachment for my SpiderPro holster, etc.  With AS plates, i can buy them from several vendors (Wimberley, RRS, Kirk), and they work with clamps/heads with multiple choices from several high quality vendors.  With the RC2 plate/clamp setup, options are very limited.  Want to use an L-bracket?  Manfrotto doesn't make dedicated ones, and their universal RC2 L-bracket, frankly, sucks.  Want to use a gimbal head?  Say you get Manfrotto's...does your RC2 plate work on it?  Nope, you need a different one of their proprietary plates, the 357PVL (the plate for their video heads).  Their very nice 410 geared head?  Needs yet a different Manfrotto plate, the RC4. 

Bottom line, if you have a few plates and just a ballhead and tilt head, the RC2 system is ok.  But the AS system has a robust design with no play when locked, and more importantly, offers the flexibility to grow as your needs change.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »
Thanks Neuro. Makes good sense. I do use Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head & RC2 only with monopods.
For tripods I switch to Manfrotto RC4 Quick Release plate. I rarely find I'm switching between the two on the same project.

I have a choice, lighten the load in my wallet with the obvious benefit of lightening the load in my camera bag pockets and taste the advantages of Arca-Swiss compatibility.

-pw

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »
I've had multiple Manfrotto plates crack in the pot metal (on my Hasselblad 203FE, no less). Plus, I don't use the Manfrotto QR system. I use the Arca-Swiss system.
Whoa! Multiple fails. I can understand why you switched to Arca-Swiss. That's statistically extraordinarily bad luck.
Just out of interest and relevant personal concern, were they genuine Manfrotto or clone RC2 plates?

-pw

Sorry...a bit late, but I've been on a shoot...they were genuine ones, straight from Bogen/Manfrotto. On one of their own heads and tripods. The plates cracked when locking down on the Manfrotto head. I missed it the first time and the camera fell (luckily, it was spread low, so it only dropped about 2' to the dirt). The other time, I heard the QR lock make a not so normal "pop" and caught the camera on the way down. It was a 203FE with a 350/5.6 Sonnar Superachromat - QR plate mounted on tripod RING, not the 203 body, so the weight was well balanced.

The tripod spider shattered on another occasion while spread out during a timed exposure (about 3 minutes in, I heard a "pop" and watched the rig collapse over). That was with a 203FE and 110/2 FE, so not that much weight. The temperature was only ~20F, so not the most extreme conditions. My comment should have said "plus, I don't use the Manfrotto QR system anymore".

Switched to AS plates, AS Z1 DP head, Gitzo carbon tripods, Optech sling straps and haven't had any problems since, even when colder and with heavier loads, both Hasselblad and 1Ds3...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »