April 19, 2014, 09:16:51 AM

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon, AZ Recommendations?  (Read 3345 times)

pinnaclephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PinnaclePhotography
Re: Antelope Canyon, AZ Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
I went through Lower Antelope last year...there is only the one group running the show, and as long as you have decent looking equipment, you can opt for the self-guided 2 hour "tour".  I would strongly recommend mentally preparing yourself to bracket your exposures, some scenes are probably the equivalent of 25+ stops of dynamic range, such as this one:

sand and time by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

For me, the 2 hours were not enough, I could have easily spent twice that duration, and Lower Antelope is only a few hundred feet long.  Keep looking for compositions with multiple layers to maximize the shift in light intensity/tone...

eye of the dragon by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

And if you are in the Page area, you might as well shoot Horseshoe Bend while you are at it...

Horseshoe under the stars by posthumus_cake ([url=http://www.pinnaclephotography.net]www.pinnaclephotography.net)[/url], on Flickr

Beautiful shots! Are those the true colors that one sees or are they altered in PP?

The color hues are...fairly accurate (I shot with a slightly cooler color balance) but the saturation was boosted a bit in post.  The color balance to the eye was a bit more orange, a bit less purple, though that would change if a cloud moved in front of the sun.  The color shift is quite visible to the eye and since it is a slot canyon, the angle of the sun is the critical effect for what colors you will be getting...for example, when the sun is directly overhead in June or only indirect in December, you will be seeing quite significant differences in color intensity and hue spectrum.  The primary factors here are the angle of the light and intensity.  Each time the light bounces off a wall, it looses intensity and looks cooler to the eye.  Since the canyon walls are so organically irregular, one spot might contain darker areas where light had to bounce off 3-4 walls to get there and another brighter spot with only 1-2 bounces, that would appear much, much warmer in hue.

As a side note, this color phenomena also applies to the Narrows in Zion...or would if the Obama administration hadn't thrown a temper tantrum and closed the National Parks...which is a real pity...hopefully that situation will be resolved by late October/early November (best times for Zion).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »

willhuff.net

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
As a side note, this color phenomena also applies to the Narrows in Zion...or would if the House of Representatives hadn't thrown a temper tantrum and closed the National Parks...which is a real pity...hopefully that situation will be resolved by late October/early November (best times for Zion).

Fixed that for you.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
Thanks, pinnaclephotography, for your nice reply. I was so impressed with the Lower Antelope canyon photos that I looked up your galleries on your website. Absolutely gorgeous! So many wonderful shots. I loved your light painting ones a lot. :)
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

roedi

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
@pinnaclephotography Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. Among lots of pictures from that place, yours really stand out.

I am still on for Canyon X, in Page, AZ in November.  I have 2 days reserved. I also have a rental car and about 5 days to play with my camera gear.  Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go for great photo ops?

@Scott I'm practically just back (one month ago) from a round-trip to UT,AZ,CA and had to skip Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe bend and the Narrows due to the weather conditions. So in the first place I'd suggest having a close look on the weather forecast and the road conditions (I think the 89 is still closed).

As for photo ops, I'd strongly recommend taking some pictures at night; almost all of the parks are extremely dark at night - the most basic requirement for great night-sky photos. Bring a decent wideangle lens and a timer for your camera and you might get yourself some great pictures of the milky-way:

http://www.darksky.org/night-sky-conservation/dark-sky-parks

It's also quite nice for the naked eye.

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »
......or would if the House of Representatives hadn't thrown a temper tantrum and closed the National Parks...which is a real pity...hopefully that situation will be resolved by late October/early November (best times for Zion).

Fixed that for you.

Given the amount of vitriol and ugliness going on, I hope ths thread dooes not get into that discussion, but thanks for correcting the mis-statement.

And.  The photos posted are great.  Cannot comment on the conditions of he road and canyon today, but a few years back had the opportunity to visit and it was amazing.  Can porbably check with the Arizona DOT to get the latest about the road.  I know they were rebuilding the portion that was so heavily damaged but created a "bypass" to allow traffic through.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:08:55 PM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M (with M-22mm, M-18-55, and EF adapter); 50 f1.4; 40 f2.8; 24-105 f4; 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS  ii; 100L f/2.8 Macro; 1.4x iii; 2.0x iii; 28-105ii; 17-40; Pro-Optic 14mm f2.8; 100-400L; 300mm f/2.8 ii; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 01:05:20 PM »