September 02, 2014, 06:27:53 PM

Author Topic: What's the best shoulder strap, currently?  (Read 7980 times)

Magnardo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best shoulder strap, currently?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Problem 1 with the U Strap is that it comes in a set length and if you are a big guy,.....it can be small in length.

Problem 2 with the U Strap is it has metal buckles that will scratch both your top screen as well as the rest of the camera if left uncovered. They need to invent something that slides over it.

Otherwise is very sturdy and strong.

Depends on the camera,....but none of the photographers I admire use single straps.
I think they are outdated.
Unless shooting weddings with dual cameras and you need a harness,.... I think you should use a small hand strap.

Good luck.
Beauty exists even if the beholder is blind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Luma Cinch II

I had blackrapid RS-sport previously but I like the Cinch II much more.

I haven't try Luma Cinch II yet. Recently I tried to carry my X100s the way Luma Cinch II(One end on the side and the other on at tripod) and I feel the camera is huggin me much better than the BR strap.

-
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 12:07:11 AM »
The Luma cinch doesn't twirl around at all like the straps that attach to one point can tend to do. The cinch attaches to two points on the camera and/or tripod mount.  That makes it lay flat on your side or back.   And the "cinching" part is good; you tug on the slider and it shortens for walking or lengthens for shooting.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
Good timing - I'm currently starp shopping right now.  FWIW, I'm weighing up Footprint vs Artisan & Artist vs Gordy's vs Ciesta.  I think I'll try Footprint.

I like my Blackrapid strap, but it doesn't get a lot of use with me.  I like to mix things up.  While normally happy to go bandolier style over the left shoulder, sometimes I'll have it hanging loosely on my right shoulder.  The BR strap isn't designed for this.  And despite being a regular tripod user, I haven't really investigated gluing the BR strap to a tripod clamp - which means that I'm regularly putting it on and taking it off.  I have a Tamrac N-45 on most of my cameras. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 04:16:25 AM »
I still prefer the Op-Tech sling kit with the utility strap. Cheap, simple, functional, comfortable, and without holding up the tripod socket like the Krap-Rapid (yes, some of us use a tripod often).

With the quick release buckles, I can pop off the strap in seconds whether the strap stays on and the camera in hand or if on tripod and the strap isn't needed (windy days to reduce wind-induced vibration).

The other nice thing is that I can use different Op-tech straps with it by clipping it into the buckle system (lightweight strap, wrist strap, etc).

This is how I have the straps configured on all the 1-series bodies - right top strap loop to the bottom-side strap loop so that the camera hangs sideways. I can reach back, grab the camera and the strap stays out of my way. I have the RRS L-bracket mounted on the left/bottom side and I can slide the camera on the tripod without the strap crossing on top of things.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
All great suggestions, thanks to all of you again!  I have a feeling I will try most or all of these eventually.

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
When I started getting heavy bodies and white lenses, I went to a non-stock strap.  This one has been awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Utility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382469254&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+shoulder+strap

5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »

1kind

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »
I've reviewed BlackRapid, CarrySpeed, CustomSLR, Peak Design - http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

I loved CustomSLR but the strap was a little wide. Carry Speed straps were comfortable and they were compatible with Spider Holster but is now out of business because BlackRapid sued them. I have Peak Design Leash and it is currently my favorite strap. Its light weight, thin and doesn't dig into my shoulders with my gripped 5D3 and 24-70II.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
I've reviewed BlackRapid, CarrySpeed, CustomSLR, Peak Design - http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

Carry Speed straps were comfortable and they were compatible with Spider Holster but is now out of business because BlackRapid sued them.

Yep, the CarrySpeed website is shut down.Wow! This is news. What was the basis of the BR claim?
I would have thought SpiderHolster would have had more of a case against them. But BR? Tough....
I have four CarrySpeed straps and all the bits. I appreciated the SpiderHolster compatibility. Oh well.

-pw

1kind

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:04 PM »

Carry Speed straps were comfortable and they were compatible with Spider Holster but is now out of business because BlackRapid sued them.

Yep, the CarrySpeed website is shut down.Wow! This is news. What was the basis of the BR claim?
I would have thought SpiderHolster would have had more of a case against them. But BR? Tough....
I have four CarrySpeed straps and all the bits. I appreciated the SpiderHolster compatibility. Oh well.

-pw
Same reason BR sued LumaLabs LumaLoop...it was a sling strap. I talked to the CEO of CarrySpeed as I wanted to see if they were going to be at PhotoPlus and didn't see them as an exhibitor. He told me over the phone about the situation. BR sued them in California since that is where they're based but CarrySpeed is in Texas. So CS has to fly to Cali everytime. CS isn't a big company so all the legal fees eventually took its toll on CS and they had to give up the fight. CS was sold off to an international company so the strap may be alive but not sold in the US.

If you look at the Sun Sniper, the same situation. You'll notice that you won't find anything in the US. You'll find them sold overseas. http://www.sun-sniper.com/de/haendler-welt.html

Joby has a sling strap but they have more money than BR so of course, they won't go after them. CustomSLR has a sling strap but it seems that BR is selling CSLR's M-Plate. So they may have some type of partnership or maybe BR doesn't see CSLR as a threat.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
When I started getting heavy bodies and white lenses, I went to a non-stock strap.  This one has been awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Utility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382469254&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+shoulder+strap

Kind of looks like this one doesn't have the narrow fabric strap like the Optech "pro strap" does...so I may try it, thank you.  I may be sending the "pro strap" back...if it can't even make 3 lbs of camera including lens feel like nothing, then it's sort of a fail in my book.  This was just wearing it on my neck, though.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 09:09:02 PM »

I loved CustomSLR but the strap was a little wide. Carry Speed straps were comfortable and they were compatible with Spider Holster but is now out of business because BlackRapid sued them. I have Peak Design Leash and it is currently my favorite strap. Its light weight, thin and doesn't dig into my shoulders with my gripped 5D3 and 24-70II.

Interesting...Ideally I'd like something that doesn't cost a lot.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »

-pw
Same reason BR sued LumaLabs LumaLoop...it was a sling strap. I talked to the CEO of CarrySpeed as I wanted to see if they were going to be at PhotoPlus and didn't see them as an exhibitor. He told me over the phone about the situation. BR sued them in California since that is where they're based but CarrySpeed is in Texas. So CS has to fly to Cali everytime. CS isn't a big company so all the legal fees eventually took its toll on CS and they had to give up the fight. CS was sold off to an international company so the strap may be alive but not sold in the US.

If you look at the Sun Sniper, the same situation. You'll notice that you won't find anything in the US. You'll find them sold overseas. http://www.sun-sniper.com/de/haendler-welt.html

Joby has a sling strap but they have more money than BR so of course, they won't go after them. CustomSLR has a sling strap but it seems that BR is selling CSLR's M-Plate. So they may have some type of partnership or maybe BR doesn't see CSLR as a threat.

That sounds like BR is in the business to sue people.  I'd rather not support a company like that.  Kind of absurd to think of themselves as the sole innovator in this arena, as if these other companies stole their idea.  They couldn't all have stolen their idea, could they?  I guess I better stop typing now, before I get sued for having an opinion. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
That sounds like BR is in the business to sue people.  I'd rather not support a company like that.
You're not kidding. I'd always subtly sensed an arrogance about BR that always stopped me short of getting on board with them.
If you're listening BR, there is generally a sting in the tail with this style of over the top litigious drama. Watch out for the backlash!

pw

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
BR double strap and I take off one for single camera carry.

the optech is a great system, used it for 2 years mow with it converted to a sling with there kit, it holes either a 7d and 70-200 and grip or a 7d and a 300mm f2.8 is plus grip with no issues at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »