December 19, 2014, 10:24:18 PM

Author Topic: How to fix a physically broken sd card?  (Read 10523 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
How to fix a physically broken sd card?
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
After 3 years of pulling it out of the camera and putting it into my laptop, my trusty ol' 32gb sandisk finally broke - the front part with the pins fell out because the plastic sandwich construction came loose.

However, I only then realized that the front part *is* the actual sd card, there's nothing but empty plastic in the back part - if I tape the thing together again, it works in my laptop, but won't fit into the camera.

Question: Is there any way to get hold of a replacement sd "chip" holder so I can continue using the front part that obviously works perfectly fine? If I'd bought a micro-sdhc with sd adapter the solution would be simpler...

canon rumors FORUM

How to fix a physically broken sd card?
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: How to fix a physically broken sd card?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
If you need to get some images off of it, use a tiny bit of superglue to hold it back together long enough to get the photos off. After that, time to buy a new one. I wouldn't trust it once it starts to fall apart like that. No telling if it'll fall apart while inside the camera/laptop, and then it'd get stuck and probably not cheap to tear apart the camera just to pull out a broken SD card.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
If you need to get some images off of it, use a tiny bit of superglue to hold it back together long enough to get the photos off.

Fortunately, there weren't any photos on it - but I hoped there would be a really working solution to revive the chip with a spare plastic holder ... looking at how cheaply the sd card is produced this looks like a case of "planned obsolescence" or "broken by design" :-\

emag

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
I superglued one when that happened, no problems after several months

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
If you need to get some images off of it, use a tiny bit of superglue to hold it back together long enough to get the photos off.

Fortunately, there weren't any photos on it - but I hoped there would be a really working solution to revive the chip with a spare plastic holder ... looking at how cheaply the sd card is produced this looks like a case of "planned obsolescence" or "broken by design" :-\

Dunno about planned obsolescence, other than that over the past few years capacity/$ has gotten much better, but that's just manufacturing advances.

Broken by design, I dunno. Not broken, but it's not designed to be as robust as, say, CF is (other than those pins...)  It's a consumer oriented design, which also involves build quality compromises in the name of slightly cheaper.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »
It's a consumer oriented design, which also involves build quality compromises in the name of slightly cheaper.

I didn't want to start a debate a planned obsolescence and if saving a couple of ct in a €100 sd card is resonable :-p ... it was just that I was surprised to see that 3/4 of the card is empty space, but after reading up on micro-sd I can see why (though full sd seems to be faster vs. a micro-sd adapter).

Thanks for the glue drop advice though, I'll try that, it's broken now, it cannot get worse :-p and I might at least continue using it for the pc and data transport.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
What is the price of lost data? :( When a card failure, I destroy immediately. ??? I am not rich, but I am rather cautious. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
It is good to remember that, even without physically breaking, electronic components wear out over time. Panasonic P2 cards are tested for a shelf life time of 5 years. In fact, P2 cards are a set of SD encapsulated in a cabinet with PCMCIA connector. Though an SD card does not break after 5 years it should be retired to avoid unpredictable failures.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:42:30 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »
Remember that not even physically breaking, electronic components wear out over time. Panasonic P2 cards are tested for a shelf life of 5 years. In fact, P2 cards are a set of SD encapsulated in a cabinet with PCMCIA connector. Though an SD card does not break after 5 years, it should be retired to avoid unpredictable failures.

Are there any mtbf figures available for Sandisk SD? A quick research I just did said that with normal dslr usage, wear shouldn't be the problem, it's not like it's used as a computer ssd - so glue-fixing the casing shouldn't invite data loss as it's only 3 years old? And even a brand new card can break on day one...

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
Remember that not even physically breaking, electronic components wear out over time. Panasonic P2 cards are tested for a shelf life of 5 years. In fact, P2 cards are a set of SD encapsulated in a cabinet with PCMCIA connector. Though an SD card does not break after 5 years, it should be retired to avoid unpredictable failures.

Are there any mtbf figures available for Sandisk SD? A quick research I just did said that with normal dslr usage, wear shouldn't be the problem, it's not like it's used as a computer ssd - so glue-fixing the casing shouldn't invite data loss as it's only 3 years old? And even a brand new card can break on day one...
One thing is the planned useful life time. Another thing is the set of small failures that lead to a hidden defect, which will show up someday. ::) The airplane is the safest means of transposte there, but when it fails ... :'( Therefore preventive maintenance is required to replace any part of the aircraft that is suspected of wear. I would not fly in a plane that was glued with super glue... ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:55:58 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
I would not fly in a plane that was glued with super glue... ;)

It really depends on the usage scenario - for mission critical applications, I wouldn't trust any *one* sd card, not matter if brand new or glued together but rely on a second card slot or live backup via wifi ... but for data transport, i.e. duplicate data, the glue solution might very well do ok.

emag

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
I have to correct myself......I didn't use superglue, I used plastic model cement  (Testors Liquid Cement for Plastic Models, to be specific).

tgara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
A new Class 10 UHS-1 32GB Sandisk SD card is about $30 on Amazon.  Buy a new one and move on.  At those prices, trying to fix a busted old one is simply stupid.  IMHO, of course.   8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
At those prices, trying to fix a busted old one is simply stupid.  IMHO, of course.   8)

€30 is €30 ... and the point is that it isn't busted, it's just the plastic casing, the actual sd card chip carrier is fine. Would you junk your car because the windshield wiper is broken? But then again I was never the "just throw it away" type :-p

emag

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
A new Class 10 UHS-1 32GB Sandisk SD card is about $30 on Amazon.  Buy a new one and move on.  At those prices, trying to fix a busted old one is simply stupid.  IMHO, of course.   8)
I consider it being frugal......although whenever my kids say that word it sounds like they're saying "cheap bastard".  ;D ;D    I was intending to just toss it, but the glue was sitting there, so......

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »