October 30, 2014, 11:00:00 AM

Author Topic: 3000 mAh AA battery for Flash ?  (Read 8766 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 3000 mAh AA battery for Flash ?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
If we look at what is written in flash (6 volts) it seems that alkaline batteries are better than NI-MH, because alkaline nominal voltage is 1.5 volts each, while Ni-MH batteries have nominal voltage of only 1.2 volts each one. ??? The problem is that this nominal voltage does not match the use of high current in a short time. In fact, alkaline batteries, measuring 1.7 volts when new, but at the time much energy is drained drops to approximately 1.1 volts. ??? Batteries NI-MH actually has 1.45 volts when they finish loading in a high quality charger, but when too much energy is drained, drops to 1.2 volts. 8) This explains why the recycle time is faster with NI-MH batteries of good quality. The actual voltage at the time of high consumption is higher in Ni-MH batteries, even if the nominal voltage is lower. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »
If we look at what is written in flash (6 volts) it seems that alkaline batteries are better than NI-MH, because alkaline nominal voltage is 1.5 volts each, while Ni-MH batteries have nominal voltage of only 1.2 volts each one. ??? The problem is that this nominal voltage does not match the use of high current in a short time. In fact, alkaline batteries, measuring 1.7 volts when new, but at the time much energy is drained drops to approximately 1.1 volts. ??? Batteries NI-MH actually has 1.45 volts when they finish loading in a high quality charger, but when too much energy is drained, drops to 1.2 volts. 8) This explains why the recycle time is faster with NI-MH batteries of good quality. The actual voltage at the time of high consumption is higher in Ni-MH batteries, even if the nominal voltage is lower. ;)

Wow, Wow, Wow------Thanksssssssss, Dear Teacher---I learn some thing New and great, to day.
Surapon

kjay27

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
When I recently purchased my Speedlite EX 430 II, it came in a kit with a diffuser, off-camera bracket and among other tidbits, a set of 3000MAh NI-MH batteries.  Since the whole kit only cost a few bucks more than the Speedlite, the batteries were obviously cheapos from China  (the name on them was "Digital").  I have a Lacrosse Technology charger that has a readout for each battery and keeps track of all aspects of the batteries while charging.  I put the batteries through some gentle discharge-charge cycles and could only bring them up to less than 500 MAh --nowhere close to the 3000.  Obviously they didn't last long in the flash unit. Stay with the high capacity Eneloops

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
When I recently purchased my Speedlite EX 430 II, it came in a kit with a diffuser, off-camera bracket and among other tidbits, a set of 3000MAh NI-MH batteries.  Since the whole kit only cost a few bucks more than the Speedlite, the batteries were obviously cheapos from China  (the name on them was "Digital").  I have a Lacrosse Technology charger that has a readout for each battery and keeps track of all aspects of the batteries while charging.  I put the batteries through some gentle discharge-charge cycles and could only bring them up to less than 500 MAh --nowhere close to the 3000.  Obviously they didn't last long in the flash unit. Stay with the high capacity Eneloops

That's a typical story, I bet you did not demand a refund.  That's what the scammers count on.

kjay27

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »

That's a typical story, I bet you did not demand a refund.  That's what the scammers count on.
[/quote]

No, I didn't.  The whole kit was only about $10 over the price of the Speedlite so I knew what I was getting, and I was indeed able to use most of the odds and ends.  I did leave feedback on Amazon, though.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
I wonder why until now there is no flash with battery "lithium ion" as well as existing cameras ... ::) Must be because of the real risk of the battery exploding with drainage of large amperage in short time. However, the batteries "lithium polymer" drain amperage allow up to 30 times greater than the nominal amperage in a short time. So far, they are only used in model aircraft engines. Batteries are expensive, but has the best power to weight ratio currently.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:04:31 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
I wonder why until now there is no flash with battery "lithium ion" as well as existing cameras ... ::) Must be because of the real risk of the battery exploding with drainage of large amperage in short time. However, the batteries "lithium polymer" drain amperage allow up to 30 times greater than the nominal amperage in a short time. So far, they are only used in model aircraft engines. Batteries are expensive, but has the best power to weight ratio currently.

They do, but rapid discharging (or charging) generates a lot of heat, and lithium batteries are prone to have bad things happen when they overheat.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

The chemistry of Li-ion/Li-Po batteries isn't optimal for high-drain short-duration current draw like filling a capacitor, but rather for moderate-drain, more sustained current draw. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »

The chemistry of Li-ion/Li-Po batteries isn't optimal for high-drain short-duration current draw like filling a capacitor, but rather for moderate-drain, more sustained current draw.
I saw friends using electric helicopters, extract exorbitant amperage of battery Li-Po specifying 30C with no problem. This means that can drain a current of 30 ampere of battery with nominal 1 ampere, for a short period, and it continues to work perfectly. Obviously, it is necessary to dissipate the heat generated, which can be problematic in a flash. But the battery itself, is capable of releasing extremely high amperage for a few seconds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:15:32 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
Plenty of photographers put their trust in the 2700 mAh Maha Powerex batteries http://www.mahaenergy.com/batteries/ which are optimized for power intensive devices such as on camera flash.
http://www.protog.com.au/buy/maha-powerex-2700mah-nimh-aa-rechargeable-batteries-4pk/2700H

I've got 20 of their AA cells and ticked the box for the 8 cell smart charger.
http://www.protog.com.au/buy/maha-powerex-mh-c801d-8-cell-aa-aaa-battery-charger/801

I'm constantly amazed at the capacity of these batteries. Find what you want at Protog which seems to have excellent information, then check eBay for local pricing.

-pw

How long have you been using them? I also started my rechargable AA collection with a dozen PowerEx 2700 batteries around 3-4 years ago. I only have two left now. They are very good if used after a fresh charge, but I found them to drain rather quickly (while idle) and have limited recharge cycles. Shortly after I bought the PowerEx batts, I picked up an eight pack of eneloops and I still have all of them (plus around 40-50 more). I still use the MaHa charger though. I've tried a few other brands, but none are even close to the quality of Eneloops. I haven't found the need to try the XX type since they are around 25% more expensive and have only 1/3 as many cycles.

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
Ad Cheopos or "normal" NiMh: I always prefer LSDs, because I know, they are charged. A bit less, but not nothing.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
Ad Cheopos or "normal" NiMh: I always prefer LSDs, because I know, they are charged. A bit less, but not nothing.

+1
LSD is the way to go for rechargeable batteries, and Eneloop is the number one choice.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks to all my dear teachers and my friends.
Thanks for New Technical infor. and New Ideas that I never know before.
Have a great weekend.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
I always prefer LSDs, because I know, they are charged. A bit less, but not nothing.

+1000 just from today: I grabbed my external NiMH external power pack, and guess what - it was completely discharged after some time of no usage, I didn't expect it to go that low that fast. There was no time to recharge it, so I had to shoot with my Eneloop AA which don't loose their charge :-o

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
I always prefer LSDs, because I know, they are charged. A bit less, but not nothing.

+1000 just from today: I grabbed my external NiMH external power pack, and guess what - it was completely discharged after some time of no usage, I didn't expect it to go that low that fast. There was no time to recharge it, so I had to shoot with my Eneloop AA which don't loose their charge :-o

Dear Marsu42
You Mean =
http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-Maha-MH-C801D-Eight-Charger/dp/B000E5S648

Right?---If Yes, I will order  2 of them---Thanks
Thanks
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »